“Let’s just say if I was in his position, I would probably do the same thing.”

Die of Embarrassment

 

“Ahh miahn Mona, I’m quite busy right now.”

Mona frowned. “Busy? Doing what? Oppa, you told me yesterday during our graduation dinner that you had nothing to do today.”

“I know!” Simon quickly replied. “But something just came up. I really can’t see you now. Besides, we’re gonna meet later at Intae hyung’s house anyway right?”

“Oppa...” Mona whined. “What could be so important than your girlfriend? I’m so bored here. Please, let’s go somewhere.”

“I can’t. I really can’t.” Simon said from the other line. “Why don't you call the twins and asked them out?”

“I can’t. They’re out with their boyfriends.” Mona said, emphasizing the word boyfriends.

“Baby...”

“Never mind oppa. You’re busy. I get it. I’ll see you later.” Mona said before abruptly hanging up.

She sighed in annoyance. She was bored to death and her boyfriend suddenly had something to do. What did he have to do anyway? He had promised her yesterday that he was going to spend the day with her. She blew at her bangs as she stared up at the ceiling, wondering what in the world she should do. She glanced at her phone and the conversation she had with Dari a week ago flashed through her mind.

*Flashback*

“Hello?”

“Hey Mona...”

The hand holding the phone trembled and she bit her bottom lip hard before replying. “Dari oppa?”

“Hey baby girl...”

“Oppa...” Mona breathed. She could see Simon from the corner of her eyes staring very intently at her, and she flashed him a smile. His face was one of confusion, but it was one that could not rival hers. Dari had disappeared from their sights for two whole years. There were no news, no letters, not even a postcard. After that drunken night, he decided to just up and leave. She knew he had left the country, but she didn't know where he went. She wondered if he remembered the kiss he planted on her. She did... It was wet, it was sloppy, and it was... very characteristic of Dari. Yet it was gentle, and he was careful enough not to be forceful. It had been two years... and she still remembered how his lips felt. Simon would not be very happy if he knew...

“Oppa, where are you?” Mona asked quietly. “Where have you been? I’ve looked everywhere for you... You’ve been gone for two years oppa! Where are you?”

“Hey hey...” Dari cut in, a laugh escaping his lips. “I’m fine. Really I am. I’ve been... travelling.”

“Travelling? Where? Oppa, come home please. I miss you. We really need to talk.” Mona said, sounding frantic. She tried to control it, but it was obvious that he heard how worried she was.

“Mona... I’m fine. Really. I’ll be back a week or two. I just... thought you should hear from me first. I mean, it has been a long time.” Dari said from the other line.

“You... thought? Oppa, we met that night and you were gone the next day! You had no idea how scared and worried I was! You looked so... fragile...”

“Mona, I’m fine. Please, don't worry about me. I’ll call you once I’m back in Seoul. I promise. And seriously, I’m ok. I’m fine now...” Dari reassured her. “I have to go now. I’ll talk to you later ok? I... love you.”

She didn't miss the awkward pause in his sentence but decided to just let it go. She’ll talk to him once he returned. She heaved a loud sigh before replying. “Ok oppa. I love you too. Don’t forget that...”

“Was that Dari?” Simon asked as soon as she hung up.

Mona turned her head towards him and nodded her head sadly. “Yeah...”

“What did he want? Where is he?”

“I don't know. He didn't say. But he told me he’ll be back in a week or two.” Mona replied, so quiet that Simon had to strain his ears to hear.

He took her trembling hands in his large ones and stared deep into her eyes. “Baby... you ok?”

A sob escaped her parted lips and tears that she tried to hold back fell. “I just... I’ve been so worried about him! And today, suddenly he just called. I didn't know what to do... I didn't know how to react...”

“Hey, shhhh...” Simon said softly, pulling her into his embrace. “I’m sure he’ll explain everything once he comes back. Just trust him.”

“Why are you trying to defend him?” Mona mumbled. “I thought you hated him.”

Simon chuckled. “Let’s just say if I was in his position, I would probably do the same thing.”

*End of Flashback*

The vibration of her phone snapped her out of her reverie and she reached for it, only to see that it was a text message from Simon.

Baby, I’m really sorry about today. I promise I’ll make it up to you later. I love you.

Mona smiled after re-reading it for the fifth time. Well, he sounded sorry enough. But maybe she shouldn’t reply just yet. Grinning to herself, she made her way upstairs, deciding that it was finally time for her to get ready for Intae’s party. She didn't want to go in the first place, but she had already promised him. Besides, Jo would be there and she did say she was going to make her infamous cheesecake.

Simon waited for a reply, but when 10 minutes came and gone, he realised that he wasn’t going to get a reply anytime soon. He played with his phone as he smiled to himself. She was playing with him, he knew that. Well, he supposed he should let her, considering he was abandoning her for the day. He hoped she would like the surprise he had in store for her. He was excited just thinking about it. He had thought of many ways, but what better way than expressing his love in front of everyone? She didn't know it yet, but the party later tonight, was not just any party. It was a party he put together to honour the love they shared for one another... All he hoped for, was a ‘yes’...

“Hyung! You look like an idiot!” Jeesu exclaimed. “What are you doing there, smiling to yourself?”

“Mona must’ve called.” Youngwon chirped in.

“No, I think she’s mad at him. She just gave us a call.” JiEun replied with a laugh.

“C’mon guys. This is going to be the happiest day of my life. Can’t I smile for a while?” Simon asked with a raise of his eyebrow.

“Yeah whatever. You can smile all you want later. Now can you help me with this table?” Daniel huffed. “Where do you want it?”

“Just by the pool. Thanks Danny boy. Just so you know, if you plan on doing something like this for Lia, you can count on me to help you out.” Simon chuckled.

Lia blushed. “Simon oppa!”

“Ahh, don't worry hyung. I wouldn’t do something like this at Intae hyung’s house. And I wouldn’t ask my friend to help either. It’ll be at a hotel, complete with violin players and bright spotlights, right Lia baby?” Daniel wriggled his eyebrow at her suggestively.

“Oppa! Stop it! We’re supposed to be helping Simon oppa out!” Lia reprimanded him.

“Hey uhh Simon, can you come in for a while?” Intae said from the sliding door.

“Sure hyung. What’s up?” Simon said as he made his way over to Intae.

Intae frowned and motioned for him to come inside the house. As they made their way to the living room, he spoke up. “He’s here.”

Simon stopped in his tracks and looked at Intae. “I thought you said he won’t come back until next week...”

“I know. But then I told him it’s about Mona and a matter of life and death. He came straightaway.” Intae said.

“Hyung, do you think he’ll be ok with this?”

Intae shrugged. “You’ll never know until you talk to him now would you?”

“Intae hyung! What’s going on? What happened to Mona? Where is she?” Dari pounced on Intae as soon as he caught sight of the older man.

“Calm down dude. She’s fine. Actually, the reason I called you here has nothing to do with Mona.” Intae said.

Dari frowned. “What?”

Simon stepped out from behind Intae’s big frame and cleared his throat. “Hi.” He said awkwardly.

Dari immediately narrowed his eyes at him and spat his name like it was venom. “Simon.”

“Please, I just want to talk.” Simon quickly said as Intae walked away. They needed time alone, they had to sort things out...

“We have nothing to talk about.” Dari scowled. He was about to make his way out the door when Simon’s next statement stopped him.

“I’m going to propose to her... tonight.” Simon said quietly.

Dari turned around on his heels slowly, his face with an unreadable expression. “Propose?” He managed to choke out.

Simon took a step towards him. “I was there at the bar that night. I heard everything. I saw everything. But I love her, and she loves me. Please, just be happy for us...”

“Why now?” Dari said through gritted teeth. “Why are you asking for my permission now? You didn't care for it when you started dating her.”

“You mean a lot to her. When you left, you didn't see how heartbroken she was. You weren’t there when she cried herself to sleep at night. All because of you... She blamed herself when you left. She felt guilty for being with me... and all because of you...” Simon said. “She wants your blessing... She needs your blessing. Please.... just give us your blessing.”

“I gotta go.” Dari said before leaving abruptly.

~~~

Mona was fixing her hair when the doorbell suddenly rang. She ran down the stairs and threw the door open, only to be met with the smiling face of her beautiful boyfriend.

“Oppa!”

Simon raised his eyebrow at her. “Do you always answer the door in your towel?”

“Ah...” Mona blushed. “I thought it was my dad. Ani... what are you doing here? I thought we’re meeting at Intae oppa’s house later.”

“I know. But I wanted to personally pick you up and give you this.” Simon said, handing her a shopping bag.

“What’s this?” Mona asked, peering in.

Simon stepped in and pushed her up the stairs. “Just go upstairs and put it on. I’ll be right here waiting for you...”

When Mona stepped down a few minutes later, she literally took Simon’s breath away. He had never seen someone as beautiful as her, let alone call her his. The smile on his face could not match the happiness and joy he felt inside. He couldn't wait to pop the question to her later. A ‘yes’ was all he asked for...

“How do I look?” Mona asked, twirling in front of him. “I can’t believe you bought me a dress.”

“You look beautiful sweetheart.” Simon said with a smile. He grabbed her hand and placed a sweet kiss on it, sending chills down Mona’s spine.

“Oppa, don't you think I’m a bit overdressed for this?” Mona asked in a hush when they arrived at Intae’s house a while later.

“So what if you are? You’re the prettiest here.” Simon whispered back. “C’mon, let’s go out to the pool.”

“Shouldn’t we go meet our friends first?” Mona asked in confusion.

“No no, let’s go out to the pool first. We can see the others later.” Simon said before practically dragging her out to the pool.

Mona gushed at the beautiful scenery that awaited her. The pool was dimly lit, its surface littered with red rose petals. There was a candlelit table not far from it, the candles emitting a soft glow. It looked very romantic, too romantic in fact, that Mona was beginning to feel suspicious. Something was going on. First, he came with a dress for her, and now this? What did he have in mind? She spun on her heels and was met with another surprise. She stared at him wide eyed, her hands covering . Simon was on one knee in front of her, holding up a red velvet box that held a beautiful diamond ring.

“Oppa...” Mona breathed. “What’s this?”

“Mona... baby. I love you. I’ve loved you since the first moment I saw you. You were so shy, it was so cute. We’ve been together for almost four years now and no one has made me any happier than you have. I love you with all my heart. Like I said before, I’ll love you until you breathe your last breath. I want to be with you until the very end. Please, marry me. Be my wife. Be my one and only... forever. Marry me?” Simon said softly as he looked up at her earnestly.

Mona’s mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water, her head reeling with excitement. As of that moment, she felt many different things. One emotion stood out and her eyes welled with unshed tears. There was only one thing she wanted to say to him, and she nodded her head.  “Yes! Yes, of course I’ll marry you!”

Simon stood up and grabbed her hand, pulling her in for a passionate kiss and feeling like he owned the world. He didn't care that the others were watching from the sliding door, his parents, her dad, and all their friends. They can look all they want, he couldn't care less. He was happy, he had the best girl anyone could ask for, and he was about to marry the love of his life. Life was good at the moment, and even Dari could not ruin that...

“Mona...” Intae said as he made his way over, the others following suit. “Congratulations!”

“Thanks oppa! This is really a surprise!” Mona giggled, Simon’s arm still tightly around her waist.

“I bet Simon didn't tell you that he had another surprise for you.”

“Another surprise?” Simon and Mona said simultaneously.

“Congratulations guys...” 



 

Chapter Posted on: Jul. 22. 2012

Another chapter is up and it's a loooong one! Hahaha... ^^ Hope you guys enjoy! This is the second last chapter! One more chapter and the story is complete! =) Please read and comment ok peeps? Thanks a lot!!!! =D