“Because we’re tired of fighting for your affection and attention.”

Die of Embarrassment

 

“Baby!” Simon said as he pounced on Mona, causing her to snap out of thoughts.

“Oppa! Don’t do that! You scared me!” Mona exclaimed, her hand flying to her chest in fright. “What are you doing here? I thought you were supposed to drive your mom today.”

Simon sighed before wrapping his arm around her, pulling her closer to him. “I know... but I just want to make sure that you’re ok. You’ll be ok right? Your dad’s not home and I won’t be coming tonight...”

Mona flashed him a small smile. “Oppa, I’m not ten. I can take care of myself. You just go... have fun.”

Simon peered at her, studying her features closely. The lines between her brows were even more apparent than usual, and so were her eye-bags. There was something that was bothering her, and he knew just what it was. Dari. He fumed in silent anger as thoughts of the other man entered his mind. Screw what he thought earlier. He wasn’t in the right state of mind. There was absolutely no way he was going to be pleasant to him. He hated the man from the moment he knew him, and he still did. Luckily for him, the man was out of their life, hopefully forever...

“I’ll call you later...” Simon said after awhile. He was reluctant to leave her, but he couldn't exactly abandon his mom.

“Ok oppa. Go now. Your mom’s waiting for you.” Mona said, pushing him away.

“What? No goodbye kiss?” Simon said with a pout.

“Oppa, your mom’s waiting for you.”

“Yes, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t give me a kiss first.” Simon argued.

Mona stood on her tiptoes and placed a swift kiss on his lips. She pulled apart before Simon got the chance to deepen it and pushed him away again. “Oppa, go.”

He wanted to protest, but decided that it was best he kept his mouth shut. He knew the dilemma she was in but he didn't like how affected she was by it. She made her choice, wasn’t it enough? How much longer does she need to recover?

Mona watched with a heavy heart as he walked away. She knew there was something he wanted to discuss with her and was very glad when he decided against voicing his thoughts. She felt... guilty being with him. She didn't know why... She was sure she made the right choice. Was she second guessing herself? Another sigh escaped her lips and she placed her head in her open palms, wondering for the tenth time where Dari might be. He was so angry when he left that day two weeks ago...

*Flashback*

“Choose Mona.” Dari said, his voice so quiet Mona could barely hear him. “Choose between me and him.”

“Choose?” Mona said, her eyes widened with fear.

“Tell us, who will it be?”

“That’s crazy!” Mona coughed out incredulously. “I can’t choose between you two! You both mean a lot to me!”

“That’s not possible. There’s someone here you like more than the other. Tell us, who is it?” Dari pressed on.

“Oppa...” Mona’s lower lip trembling slightly. “Why are you making me do this?”

“Because we’re tired of fighting for your affection and attention.” Dari replied coldly.

“There’s no need to fight for my affection!” Mona exclaimed before a lone tear rolled down her cheek. “Dari oppa, you’re my brother. And Simon oppa, you’re my boyfriend. I love you both! I can’t choose! Please don’t make me do this!”

“Mona... me, or him?” Simon said quietly. He was tired of sharing her with Dari. Heck! He didn't want to share her in the first place; he didn't know why he even agreed to it. Mona was his world... She was his life. And he wasn’t going to share his life with anyone, least of all Dari... He was aware that they knew each other much longer than he knew Mona, but that didn't mean they could do as they pleased. Mona confessed to him, Mona loved him... not Dari. So he shouldn’t even be in the picture... He knew without a doubt that Mona would choose him, but the little voice seemed to be shouting in his head, and he winced as it voiced out possibilities that she might just choose Dari. She wouldn’t do that to him, would she?

On the spot Dari was standing, the same exact thoughts ran through his mind. Mona wouldn’t do that to him. Mona wouldn’t choose a guy she just met over him, whom she knew since she was six. He had been there for her through thick and thin. He was there for her when she cried buckets of tears, he was there for her when she felt like giving up, and he was there for her when the world was against her, an arm around her shoulder, supporting her. There were so many things he did for her that sometimes, he neglected his own well-being. She wouldn’t forget that. She always had a good head on her shoulder, and he knew without a doubt, that she was going to choose him.

“Please... don’t make me do this...” Mona sobbed quietly. “I can’t live without either of you. I need you both in my life. Why can’t you see that?”

“You can’t have everything Mona.” Simon whispered. His hands trembled and fear crept in. Why was it so hard for her to choose?

Mona wiped away the tears, and bit her lip to prevent herself from uttering another sob. Her head was throbbing, and she felt cold all of sudden. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. She couldn't believe that the day was finally here. She knew it was going to arrive someday, but why so soon? Why must she choose between the two? They meant the world to her, in a different way of course. She needed Dari. He had always been a good brother, a shoulder for her to cry on when there was no one else she could turn to. No matter what the situation was, he had always been able to put a smile on her face, even while tears were pouring down her face. He knew everything that there needs to know about her, so how can she just throw him aside like that? And then there was Simon. No one had managed to take her breath away the way Simon did. She loved him with all her heart and she didn't know what she would do without him. He was the love of her life, and she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him, that she was sure of. So how could she leave him?

Taking a deep breath, she uttered the first name that came to mind. “Simon.”

The effect was instantaneous. Simon breathed a loud sigh of relief, while Dari stared at her in shock. “Simon?!” Dari shrieked.

Mona sobbed. “Oppa, I’m sorry. But Simon oppa means the world to me. I can’t live without him... He means everything to me...”

“Oh? And I don’t?” Dari shouted, his face red with anger. He was so sure... How could Mona do this to him? “Have you forgotten who was there for you when your mother died? Have you forgotten how I got fired because I went to your graduation party? Have you forgotten how I snuck in just to take care of you? Do I not mean anything at all to you?!”

“Oppa please!” Mona cried out. “You mean so much to me...”

“Oh, but not enough right?” Dari said furiously. He grabbed his jacket from the floor, and promptly put it on. “You know what, whatever. I don't care. Just... leave me out of your life after this.”

*End of Flashback*

And he never came back after that. Mona didn't know where he went. She had searched everywhere, from his apartment to places he usually went, but was always met with a dead end. He was still in Korea, that she knew for sure, but where?

Her phone suddenly rang, startling her out of her reverie. She glanced at the caller ID before deciding to answer.

“Ah oppa, what’s up?” Mona said.

“Yah, I found out where he is.” Intae said from the other side.

“What? Where?” Mona asked frantically.

“He’s at the bar near the mall. Apparently, he’s been staying at a motel nearby.”

“What? Oppa, how’d you know this?”

Intae sighed. “He just drunk-dialled me again. Can you go pick him up please? I’m at a... meeting right now.”

“Meeting? What meeting?”

“Meeting... with a girl.”

Mona’s face lit up with a smile. “Oppa! You’re on a date? Oh my God, I’m so happy for you!”

“Yah! It’s not a date! And can you please not shout down the phone? You’re making me deaf! She’s... just my junior from high school when I was in New Zealand. We met accidentally at the coffee shop.”

“Accidentally huh? I don't think so. Oppa, it’s fate. So what’s her name? When can I meet her?”

“Her name’s Jo, and you can meet her when it’s time.  I gotta go now, you go fetch Dari. Please, talk some sense into him.” Intae said before hanging up.

The grin on her face faltered. She was happy for Intae, but Dari was the problem. She checked the clock on the wall. It was only 9 pm and Dari was already drunk. She grabbed her jacket and stuffed her phone into her pocket before making her way slowly towards the subway station. Simon would kill her if he knew she was out at night alone. But she had to see Dari, she needed to talk to him...

She arrived half-hour later, her eyes scanning the bar, searching for Dari. The place looked vacant, save for the lone man on a stool at the far corner of the room. She walked towards him, suddenly feeling nervous. He was angry with her, so what could she possibly say to fix it? She took the seat next to him, and pushed his glass away and out of his reach.

She cleared . “Oppa, you’ve had enough.”

Dari looked up from staring at the counter and looked straight into her eyes. He frowned. “What are you doing here? Go home Mona.”

Mona firmly shook her head. “No. Please, let me take you home. You’re drunk.”

“I’m fine.” He slurred. “Go home Mona.”

Mona reached for his hand and held it in her grasp tightly. “Oppa...” She said softly. “Miahnae... I know you’re really angry with me.”

“Ani...” Dari shook his head. “Who said I was angry? I’m not angry. I’m thrilled that you chose Simon over me. At least now, I don't have to take care of you anymore.”

“Oppa, I still need you in my life...” Mona whispered, her hands cupping his face. “You know very well that I can’t make it through without you.”

“Then why did you choose him over me?”Dari said, his eyes b with unshed tears. “Why Mona? Why him over me? Don’t I mean anything to you at all?”

“Oppa! You know you do! You’ve been with me for as long as I remember! But I really love Simon oppa...” Mona sighed.

Dari removed her hands from his face and stood up. “Just leave me alone Mona...”

He walked away but didn't get very far when his feet caught hold of the carpet and he tripped, falling to the ground with a sound. Mona rushed over and helped him sit up, her face one of utmost concern.

“Oppa, you ok?” Mona asked anxiously.

Dari sobbed. He tried so hard to stifle it but Mona heard it all the same. He never cried, unless he was super drunk. And Mona rarely saw him cry. For the first time, Mona was scared of the decision she already made. Dari was seriously hurting... and she began to second-guess herself. Did she make the right choice?

“Oppa...” Mona said again. “Please don't do this to me! Why did you have to make me choose between Simon and you?”

“I just thought... that you would choose me over him.” Dari wept as he rested his head on her shoulder. “I was confident that it was going to be me. Why wasn’t it me Mona? What else do I have to do for you to see what you really meant to me?”

“Oppa, you mean a lot to me too! You know you do! But...”

Dari let out a scoff. “You’re so blind. You really don't see it do you?”

“See what?” Mona asked as she furrowed her brow.

Dari turned his head towards her and stared into her eyes. He wasn’t sure what he had in mind, he couldn't even think properly. But he had to do it. He had to show her what she really meant to him, before it was too late. He leaned in and planted a wet kiss on her lips. Placing his hand on her neck, he pulled her in even closer, wondering why he never did this before. Her lips felt heavenly, and drunk as he was, this was a memory and feeling he will never forget.

Mona’s reflexes were put on hold as the wetness of his lips caught her by surprise. She knew she should push him away, but her hands felt so heavy all of a sudden. What the hell was going on? Finding her strength at last, she shoved him away and stared at him, wide-eyed. Why did he kiss her like that?

“I love you.” Dari finally said after awhile. “You know that saying, you never know what you have until you lose it? Well, I lost you, to Simon. All of a sudden, he had your undivided attention and I felt so lost without you. I couldn't take you out, I couldn't even spend time with you. I missed you... a lot. Maybe I’ve always loved you. I just never knew it until Simon took you away from me... I may not mean anything to you, but you mean the world to me...”

The tears that she tried to hold rolled down her cheeks. She had no idea that he felt this way about her. The other boys had speculated, but she didn't know it was going to turn out true. She had always thought that he was just being an overly protective brother. Now she understood why he was so angry with Simon all the time. But what was she to do? She doesn’t feel the same way...

“Oppa, I don't know what to say...” Mona sobbed. “I just... I’m sorry. But I...”

“You don't feel the same way.” Dari cut in quietly. He stood up and brushed his pants, Mona following suit. “Please, just leave me alone for now. I’ll be fine. Don’t look for me. I’ll come see you once I’m sure I’m ok.” And with that, he walked out of the bar, leaving a guilty Mona behind...

“Baby...”

Mona jumped in surprise before she turned around and met Simon’s eyes. The tears fell even more. “Oppa...” Mona said as she wrapped her arms around him. “Oppa...”

“Shh... it’s going to be ok.” Simon said softly as he her hair. “I saw everything... Baby, everything’s going to be fine.”

“Will it? I hurt him... I had no idea he felt that way about me.” Mona sobbed into his chest. “He’ll never forgive me...”

“Listen to me, just give him some time.” Simon said reassuringly. “Just leave him alone for now, and he’ll come back to you, just like he said.”

It was true. He saw and heard everything. He didn't like it when Dari kissed her. He almost ran to them to break them apart but refrained himself just in time. He wanted to see what was going on. It wasn’t as if it was Mona who initiated the kiss. He was proud of her, proud of the love she had for him. She stood her ground when Dari confessed to her and his heart swelled as he took in her beautiful face. He wasn’t going to leave her alone, that was for sure. If it was possible, he was even more in love with her now more than ever. He wanted graduation to come fast, so he could marry her and live the happily ever after that he had always dreamed of...

 


 

Chapter Posted on: Jul. 13. 2012

Warning: LOOONG CHAPTER!!!! Hahahaha ^^ I love writing this chapter! but I hope you guys love reading it just as much!!!! =D thank you to everyone who commented! I love every single one of ya'll! =D Please enjoy! Don't forget to tell me what you think! =D