Grateful

Our Maid Sky Blue

“Yang Na Yeon!! Over here!!” Your childhood friend So Yun jumped up and down excitedly waving at you as you and Minji stepped out of the bus. You gleefully waved back and walked to her.

“I missed you!!” She ran up to you and pulled you into a bear hug. “Me too Unnie.” You grinned and hugged her back.

“I’m so sorry about your halmeoni.” She said sadly and rubbed your arms. “Thank you. She’s in a better place now.”  Minji hid behind you shyly with her hands tightly gripping your duffle bag and your shirt.

“Is this Ji Ji?” So Yun knelt down and stretched out her arms. “Come here. Let unnie look at you!” You nodded at Minji and she hesitantly went to So Yun who picked her up into her arms.

“Aigoo! Look at our little angel. Such a big girl already!” Minji smiled back at her.

“How did you know that I’m an angel?” So Yun Laughed loudly, “Everyone knows. You have the most beautiful eyes.”

The three of you talked and laughed as you walked to So Yun’s car. “Thanks for coming to pick us up So Yun unnie. I really appreciate it. I wouldn’t know what to do without you.”

“Are you kidding me? I’m more than happy to. I’ll be hurt if you didn’t tell me that you were coming.” She opened the trunk and put your suitcase in as you seat belted Minji at the back seat of the car.

“I don’t have anyone, but you.” You said closing the car door. “I really hope I made the right decision coming here.”

 So Yun walked up to you and squeezed your hand tightly, “It’s for the sake of Minji. Things will be hard at first, but it will work out in the end. Just know that you have me here to help you. Araso?”

“Araso…” You smiled weakly.

“Alright then let’s get going.” The both of you got in the car and So Yun drove off.

“Are you sure you don’t want to stay with me? I have an extra room in my apartment.” So Yun asked with her eyes on the road.

“Ani. I don’t want to burden you because I have Minji with me. Besides, I already found a small place for the two of us.” You handed her the address to your new home.

 “Minji won’t be a burden. I love her already. She’s too cute. Well, if you ever change your mind, my room is all yours.”

“Thanks So Yun Unnie.” You were very thankful for having such a wonderful friend.

She peered at you through the corner of her eyes. “She looks a lot like you, you know.”

“Of course she does. She’s my dongseng.” You smiled and turned to gaze at Minji who was looking out the window, amazed by the new city.

“Her eyes…” So Yun said softly “are just as blue as yours.”

“But I think they match her a lot better than I do. Don’t you think?” You chuckled. “Nope, you both look amazing. There’s nothing scary about it at all.” She said sincerely.

You were’t sure, but ever since you were born, you had these intense blue eyes that neither of your parents had. All you knew was that you were different from all the other kids. However, when they had Minji, she obtained the same crystal blue eyes just like yours.

“I’m just glad I have these eyes with her. She wouldn’t feel out casted that way.” So Yun nodded in agreement.

“Do you know….what her condition is at this point?” She questioned you.

“She has early stage Leukemia. I’m going to take her to the hospital right after we settle down and get her treated there. I’m going to do anything I can to keep her alive.” Your voice shook, but you kept it calm.

“She’s going to be just fine. I will help you and we will do this together.” So Yun touched your arm.

“Komawo chingu.” This was more than you could ask for. “Well, enough about me. Tell me what you have been up to? You look extremely glamorous and stylish now.” You laughed as she clucked her tongue.

“I have to! I see hot stars every day. My manager would fire me if I wasn’t up to standards.” She pouted and you giggled at her cuteness.

“Hot stars?” You were puzzled.

“MmHmm.” She nodded. “I work at SM Entertainment. I’m the assistant for the manager who are in charge of Exo K and Exo M. They recently debuted this year. Isn’t that freaken awesome?! I get to be so close to them hotties! ” She squealed excitedly almost jumping out of her seat. “Who’s your bias? I’ll get you an autograph!”

“Exo….? Bias?” You looked at So Yun puzzled. She laughed thinking you were just joking, but you kept looking at her. She stopped at a red light and turned to you.

“You weren’t kidding? You have no idea who they are?” You nodded your head and her jaw dropped.

“What planet did you come from?! People all over the world know who they are! They are one of the most popular groups right now!!” So Yun shouted a bit too loudly and Minji jumped. She covered apologetically.

You shrugged at her astonishment and sighed. “I don’t know where half the world has gone to ever since I was 15. I had no time to be familiar any of that stuff when I’m too busy working three jobs trying to earn money for Minji’s and halmeoni’s medicine.”  So Yun nodded understandingly and quickly got over her shock. She pulled up to your new house and the two of you got out the car.

“I’ll grab your suitcase.” She said heading towards the trunk. “Thanks.” You went to the back of the seat and helped Minji unbuckle her seat belt.

“We’re here Ji Ji. Are you excited to see your new home?” You pulled her out and shut the door. She looked around unsure. “We are going to live here now?” Her eyes were watery.

“Waeyo? You don’t like it?” You knelt down to her height and put your hand behind her small back.

“I LIKE IT!! I LIKE IT A LOT!!” She screamed happily. You were stunned by her excitement, but at the same time, glad. It would have been difficult if she hated it.

“Mommy NaNa! Can we go see all the pretty stores and eat lots and lots of strawberry vanilla pudding?”

“Anything my angel wants.” You smiled and held her hand. “But first, we have to go see our new home. Ok?” She nodded. “We have to climb that long stairway all the way up.” You pointed to an extremely lengthy cemented stair with a metal railing to separate in the middle. “Ok.” She said.

“Na Yeon-ah.” So Yun called and stood next to you with your suitcase. “Did Minji just call you mommy?”

“Yeah. I told her she can.”

“Wouldn’t…other people misunderstand?” She looked at you concerned. “You’re only 20 years old.”

“I don’t mind her calling me that. It doesn’t matter if people think differently about me, or us, because they already do. We look alike anyways. She will certainly pass as my daughter even without one asking.”  You gave her a smile and touched Minji’s hair. 

“You’re such an amazing sister. I admire you.” So Yun couldn’t find words to describe how much of an angel you really are to Minji. *She’s really lucky to have you.*

“Unnie, thank you so much for bringing us all the way here on your day off.” You took the suitcase from her hand. “I would be lost without you.”

“No worries. You’re being too formal with me. I told you I’m willing to help you out. So, let’s stick to being our normal silly self around each other. I can walk the both of you up there.” She offered, but you declined gratefully.

“Aniya. This far is enough. I’m sure we can find our way there. I’m going to take Minji to the hospital and look around for some jobs after we settle down.”

“Alright, well, you know my number so call me if you need anything ok?” You nodded. “Minji say bye to Unnie.”

“Unnie, Kamsahamnida! Annyeonghi gaseyo!” Minji waved. “Omo! Our angel is so well mannered.” So Yun bent down and kissed her forehead. She waved at the both of you and walked to her car.

You held Minji’s hand and head towards the stairs swinging her arm up and down happily.

“Wait! Na Yeon-ah!” You heard So Yun called and turned around. She ran up to you with huge grin plastered on her face.

“Hmm?” You looked at her.

“I think I can get you a job!” She shouted and your eyes grew big. “Really?! You can?”

“YES!” Her eyes gleamed.

~~~~