Lay...

Our Maid Sky Blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG89bmZ-P6A

“Oh no, Lay…” You whispered frightenly, sensing at once that something wasn’t right. Without even hesitating, you dove right in and went after him. You knew the tidal waves were stronger now that the day has past afternoon and even from there, you could feel the ripples pulling you down as well. “I’m coming, Lay!”

“My ankle is s-stuck!” He gulped for air when you finally reached him.

“I’ll get you out.” You gasped and then took in a mouthful of air before pludging into the water to free him. He tried his best to keep afloat, but began to feel cramp in his stomach. After you found his ankle stuck between the rocks, you were having trouble moving it out. You used your strength to lever one of the rocks to make room for him to wiggle free, but it was too slippery and you could only hold in your breath for so long.

You swam back up for another gulp of air when you saw Lay’s body go little limp. You knew he was in pain. “Lay, I need you to stay with me ok? Keep your head above the water, please.”

“Don’t go back in there, you’ll drown. Na Yeon, swim back to the shore right now.” He was afraid you’ll get easily pulled away knowing that you were so much smaller. “When I hold onto your calf, try your best to move your ankle out! Araso?”

 You completely ignored his words and went back down. This time, you held onto the rock with one hand and his ankle with the other. You forced your hand into the sharp endges for a better grip while at the same time tugged on him. With all your might, you pushed the rocks apart as hard as you could not caring how much your hand was hurting. Thankfully, Lay was finally able to break away and his feet slipped right out from the rock.

Before you lost your breath, you swam up rapidly. “Lay…” You croaked as you grabbed onto his waist. He weakly put an arm around you for support unable to even swim anymore. The cramp in his stomach was getting worse.

“We have to hurry before the sea rises.” You breathed heavily trying not to swallow any water. Using only one arm, you hastenly struggled to take the both of you back as the fast current tried to swallow you in.

tidal-waves_3821.jpg

As though the sea god was really testing your ability to swim, an enormous tidal wave hurtled vigorously into the two of you and you lost grip of him straight away. Your body tossed forward and then backwards carelessly taking you further away from the shore and deeper into the water. It slammed you alongside another enormous rock. You happened to swallow a mouthful of saltwater causing you to choke drastically. You coughed the water back out trying to catch your breath.

*Lay, where are you?!* Extremely worried that you no longer knew what was happening to him, you hastily grasped onto the rock to gain control of yourself.  Fortunately, he was only an arms length away from you, so you promptly reached for him before the current did. “Lay! Lay…”  

“Na Yeon...are you ok?” He asked you in concern. He seized your hand tightly so you both wouldn’t lose each other. “I’m ok.” You held him in front of you with an arm wrapped around his chest to keep him above the exterior.

Right now, the water has risen even higher than before passing your shoulders. There was no way you could swimback with the little strength you had left and getting back to the shore was impossible due to the crazy waves. Also, the current that was pulling from the other direction was just as powerful.

 *Stay calm, Na Yeon. Call out for help.* You opened your mouth to shout, but even your voice became inaudible. Your entire body felt worned out like you had just run a marathon.

“Leave me here and go…” Lay swallowed hard. You felt his body shuddered. “Go get help.”

“Are you crazy?! Why the hell would I leave you?” You spat angrily. “We’re going to be fine, so don’t give up. I know you’re tired, but just try to keep floating ok? Just don’t let go of me.” Another large wave hit once again, almost causing you to lose stability.

You desperately pushed yourself against the rock so that even if another wave struck, you both wouldn’t go toppling over. Your back was pressed harshly onto it while your free arm was clutching steadily on as the edges slashed into your flesh. All the while, you made sure that Lay wasn’t the one getting cut by it.

“Lay…” You said his name softly. “Stay in front of me and try not to go near the rock no matter how hard the wave hits us. It’s really sharp.”

Lay put on hand ontop of yours and squeezed it gently. “Komopta…” He didn’t care what happened next. Just knowing that you were there next to him made him relieved and because of that, he felt safer.

You were glad that at least you were able to hold onto him for this long. *Maybe the others will notice we’re gone and come looking for us.* You silently prayed.

“They’ll come for us. They must know we’re missing.” You assured him, but rather more yourself. “Whatever you do, just stay with me and hold yourself up as long as possible. We’ll get out of here soon.” You held in your breath as endless waves came one after another.

It felt like enternity until you heard your name and Lay’s being called. You recognized it was Kris and Chanyeol. “KRIS! CHANYEOL!!” You hollered as loud as your voice could reach. Chanyeol’s head instantly snapped towards the direction to the sound of you. 

“Over there!” He grabbed onto Kris. “They’re over there!”

Photobucket

Kai was already sprinting as fast as his legs could take him down the shore with the other two following right behind him.Within a few mintutes, the three of them reached you and Lay.

 “Lay! Na Yeon!” They worriedly swam up to you. Chanyeol grabbed your arm, but you didn’t let him.

“No!” You shook your head. “Take Lay first. He’s hurt. Ballee…” You urgently refused. Kris and Chanyeol took him from you, both supporting him so they’ll be able to get to the coast sooner.

“Na Yeon don’t worry, I got you.” Kai pulled you close to him and wrapped your arms around his neck as he swam forward. Your face was pale and your lips were turning purple. You didn’t express it, but he knew you were frightened by the way your body trembled uncontrollably against his.

 You had no idea how worried he was when they couldn’t find you and Lay. His heart literally stopped beating not wanting to think about the worse case scenario and what could have happened to you. The moment when he saw you out there in the treacherous part of the sea, he just had to get there fast. If anything bad was to occur, he would only himself blame for being the one who made you upset in the first place.

You closed your eyes and allowed Kai to lead you there. You felt secure with him and something told you everything was ok now. Even the strong force of the tidal waves didn’t scare you anymore. You let your head rest right above his collar bone while you breathed in deeply. *I’m just glad Lay’s safe.*

Kai stared down at you with nothing, but kindness and warmth.*Pabo, open your eyes and look at me.* He wanted to be reassured that you were really ok. Even so, he couldn’t have been more thankful that you were now safe in his arms.

“Na Yeon!”

“Lay!”

The others shouted running towards the two of you. “I can walk…” You whispered when Kai brought you closer to the shore. You released your arms from around his neck, but he still held firmly onto your waist afraid to let you go. Suho, D.O, Baekhyun, and Sehun came to you while the others went to help Lay out.

Baekhyun instantly wrapped a towel around you and took you close to him. Everything happened so fast, he didn’t even know you were down at the sea until Chanyeol began searching for you. The last time he saw you was with Kai and by the time he knew it, Kris had said Lay was missing as well.*Why didn’t I stay close to you Na Yeon? This wouldn’t have happened if I was there.* He gazed at you tenderly.

“Noona, are you ok?!” Sehun came up to you in concern. You forced a smile and nodded trying your hardest not to show any sign of how terrified you actually were. Suho came from behind you and rubbed your shoulders comfortingly. “You’re freezing, Na Yeon.” He massaged your wet hair with a towel.

D.O cupped your face and stared at you worriedly. “Are you hurt? How did this happen?”

“I’m not hurt D.O. We--” You trailed off as you set eyes on Lay who was sitting up on the sand surrounded by the others. You quickly rushed over to check on him. “Lay, did you get hurt anywhere? How’s your stomach?” You worriedly searched his arms and hands for any sign of cuts or bruises.

“Na Yeon, I’m really fine. I’m not hurt at all.” Lay patted your hand assuring you that he was ok. He would never be able to wexpress how grateful he was towards you. At the same time he felt embarrassed and weak for having you being the one to save him. Until the very end, you used every last strength you had left to keep him alive and to him, you were a hero.

“We have to take him to the hospital you guys.” You looked up at Kris anxiously. “He could have internal bleeding and…and--”

 “Goddamn it! Are you insane?!” Kai had it with your never ending care. He strutted over and hauled you up to your feet gripping your forearm. “Look at you! Look at your arm and tell me that these deep cuts doesn’t hurt!” You looked down and realize blood oozing out of the gashes, but you were too numb to feel the pain.

“Noona! You’re bleeding!” Tao gasped alarming everyone else.

“Lay’s hurt, but so are you! You’re unbelievably stubborn you know that?!”

“Why are you speaking to maid this way?” Chanyeol become a bit angry at the way he held your arm.

“Kai, let go of Na Yeon.” Baekhyun grabbed his wrist. “You’re hurting her.”

Kai ignored them and continued, annoyed and frustrated with you. “You probably think that you’re so strong, but truthfully you’re not. So, quit it with the unconditional care and concern. How can you possibly still pretend that you’re not in any pain and worry more about someone else rather than yourself? What are you trying to get in return for doing all this? The things you do for us, just stop already. It’s too much. You being this way…it’s really a burden. If you---”

“Kai, that’s enough!” Suho stopped him from saying more. That was no way Kai should speak to you and he saw how pained you were by it.

“What the hell is your problem Kai?!” Chanyeol clenched his fist enraged as he yanked Kai’s tight grip away from your arm. Another word and he was really going to punch him.

“Because I know about Lay’s coagulation condition!” You blurted and Exo looked at you shocked. You never wanted to bring this up because you respected Lay’s personal problems, but Kai had pushed your buttons.

 “That’s why I’m so worried about him. I’m not asking for anything in return at all. Also, me being here and taking care of you all is real. I’m not a fake like you think I am.” Your throat burned in agony as you swallowed back your anger and disappointment. Kai’s words really sent a nasty blow to your heart making you feel sick to the stomach. You already knew how harsh he was, but what he said hurt more than your wounds.

Kai’s eyes soften automatically and regrettably. *Fake? No…that’s not what I meant. I’m just worried about you, Na Yeon.* He was outraged because you were forever worrying about them when you were on the verge of passing out yourself. He hated to see you hurt and yet he was hurting you.

Exo didn’t question you as to why you knew about Lay. Of course you would know many things about then by now. It was part of your job to know them very well in order to take care of them.

“We should head back now…” Your voice was low and shaky. You picked up the towel that dropped on the ground and began walking back to the van. It was more than just a fun day and you were tired of going through these things with them. You knew they only meant well for a day at the beach, but with Kai being that way, it had completely ruined your mood.

“Na Yeon!” Luhan and Xiumin went after you. Luhan wrapped an arm around your shoulders and they both walked with you towards the van. The two maknaes followed the three of you not wanting to feel the tensions between the other members and Kai.

“Can you explain to us why you are always speaking so harsh to her?” D.O crossed his arms. He too was agitated by Kai’s sudden outburst.

“Na Yeon nearly drowned out there and yet you made her feel even worse!” Chanyeol fumed. Baekhyun held him back not to get too close to Kai. “You’re really heartless.”

“You all need to start opening your eyes and realize the damn problem here.” Kai said flatly. “She’s our maid not our caretaker. If she continues to look after us like this you all know very well what’s going to happen, so quit leading her on.”

“Lead her on? Who said we were leading her---” Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows and began to argue back when Lay cut him off.

“She saved my life.” He clutched his stomach as Chen and Kris helped him to stand up.

“Muh?” They turned and looked at him wide eyes.

“I went down there to get the sunblock that I dropped, but my ankle got caught between the rocks on the bottom. Na Yeon came for me no matter how dangerous it was. She dove into the water to get me out. When the current got strong, she held onto me and used her own body to prevent me from hitting the rocks. That’s how she got all those cuts on her arm. She risked herself, so that I wouldn’t get hurt. I wouldn’t be standing here if it wasn’t for her. How could you say those things to her without knowing the story, Kai?”

Everyone became speechless as they digested what Lay had informed them. You, their maid, had really put yor own life on the line to save their brother? Right now, they couldn’t have more respect and love for you. They knew you were an exceptionally sweet and kind person, but what you did was beyond admirable and brave. They looked at each other knowing that they owed so much to you.

Kai’s body stiffened as he ran his fingers through his damp hair frustrated with himself. *I ed up. She didn’t deserve that…* Maybe he was wrong. No, he WAS wrong. Some of the things he had said earlier were uncalled for.

Although it was true he was really worried about you that caused him to overreact, the fact that he acted harshly towards you was wrong. Of course you weren’t that kind of person and he had gotten mad at you for no good reason. Seeing you so worried about Lay like that somewhat irritated him, but with his hot headed attitude, he had only furthered you away.

The ride home was a long and quiet one. No one really said anything to you, but you could feel their intense gazes eating at you as if they wanted to just bombard you with everything they held within them. Exo were worried about you. They wanted to comfort you, telling you how much you meant the world to them and that you being there for Lay when they weren’t was something they could never ask for. Instead, they tried their best not to say anything and give you some peace.

You sat in the middle next to the window as you leaned your head on it. You didn’t even know why you were upset anymore. Yes, Kai had said some things that were inconsiderate, but the others had done nothing wrong to deserve your silent treatment. *Don’t ruin their only free day. Besides, they put in so much effort to take you out like this.*

You lifted your head and turned to look at Sehun who was falling asleep. His head wobbled back and forth cutely. With a smile, you took off your sweater folding it and put it behind his head to support it so it wouldn’t sway. Sehun felt your sudden action, but pretended to be deep asleep while his inside felt warm and happy.

“Ahem…” You cleared your throat. “So, what should we all do later?” You questioned ingenuously. They looked at you surprised, yet glad that you were talking to them. You stared at your fingers for a brief second then back up, “How about movies and pizza?” Exo looked at one another then at you smiling and agreeing.

Chanyeol immediately lit up and a huge grin formed over his child like face.

ChanYeol Pictures, Images and Photos

“Maid…” He swung an arm around your neck and pulled you close like he’d been waiting forever to hear you talk.

“Yeol!” You squirmed failing to push him off. “Not too tight!”

“Let go of her you giant!” D.O smacked him as Luhan and Xiumin pulled on his other arm to release you. The others began to shout at him as well. “Yeol, what did I tell you before?” Kris warned him.

 “Andwaeyo.”Chanyeol shook his head still unwilling to let go. You let out a soft chuckle as the van became loud filled with laughter and shouting. *If they’re happy, so am I.*

“Watch out for her arm,” Baekhyun forcefully pulled him off of you and switched spots with him. He sat himself down next to you making sure Chanyeol couldn’t touch you. He looked down at your and concern overswept his face. “Let’s take care of that when we get home.” He whispered to you.

Kai sat in the way back with his eyes shut and music blast through his earphones. He was thinking of how he could make it up to you. *Mianhaeyo…* If being sorry was worth a thousand words, he wouldn’t have to feel this horrible. Even more, he was always regretful towards you for his recklessness and ended up silently apologizing as if you would be able to hear him that way...