Monkey in the Middle

Our Maid Sky Blue

 

You woke up extra early to make the boys pancakes and waffles for breakfast because you felt bad about yesterday not coming home to make them dinner. You were already flipping the last pancake when it suddenly hit you.

 *Wait a minute….can they eat pancakes? What about their diet? Pancakes are fine, right?* Exo work so hard yet they can’t really eat anything heavy or too fatty. This made you sad when you saw them suffering sometimes because they couldn’t always eat the food they wanted to.

“I don’t care.” You stuck your tongue out and put the pancake onto the plate with the rest. “They need to eat something other than cereal and fruits too.” You then took out the waffles and put it on another plate. You opened the pantry to grab the maple syrup.

*Uhg…who put it so high?!* You grimaced as you tiptoed to reach for it. Your fingertips could almost touch it, but was off by a centimeter or two. “Darn this.” You then tried jumping for it. Instead, your hand accidently hit a large container of animal crackers that came tumbling down to the kitchen floor.

*Crap!* You picked it up quickly. *I hope that didn’t wake anybody up.* You paused for a second to make sure no one woke up frightened then you set the animal crackers down onto the counter. You were about to grab a chair to stand on when you heard a loud clatter coming from the second floor.

In a split second, thunderous footsteps paraded down the stairs. You looked over and saw Chanyeol standing there with his messy bed head and rubbing his sleepy eyes.

“Oh, Chanyeol. Did I wake you up? Mianhae…” You gave him an apologetic look. “But since you’re here, can you grab the---”

“M-maid!!” His eyes opened widely and a huge grin spread across his boyish face. “What?” You raised an eyebrow at him not sure why he was so shock to see you.

 He dashed over to you and picked you up into a tight bear hug. He snuggled his face into your neck and wailed dramatically as if you died and came back to life. “MAID!! WHERE HAVE YOU GONE?!”

“Chan-ye-ol!” You gasped for air. “I-can’t----breathe!” You kicked your legs that were hanging a feet off the ground to be let down. You saw Kris coming from the room to see what all this racket was about.  

 “Kris…help.” You felt woozy as Chanyeol continued to squeeze the life out of you.

“Yeol!” Kris came over and took you from him. He pried Chanyeol’s arms from your waist and put you down.

“Are you ok?” He looked at your face that was turning a light shade of blue. You pound your chest a few times with your fist and started coughing. Kris glared at Chanyeol and patted your back.

 “I’m ok.” You were trying to breathe steadily. “Chanyeol, you almost killed me.” You slapped his arm.

 Kris nudged him a few times to stop overreacting before he hurt you even more. “Sorry…” He smiled sheepishly.

“Kris, can you go wake up the others, please?” You looked up at him with your adorable eyes. “I just have a few more things to finish here.” He smiled and nodded at you unresistingly and left.

You looked back at Chanyeol who was still standing there grinning at you. “Yeol…if you keep smiling like that I’m going to get really scared.” He laughed at you. *I’m so glad you’re here Na Yeon. You have no idea how worried I was.*

He saw you trying to reach for the syrup and automatically grabbed it for you. “Thanks.” You smiled brightly at him and took it from his hand. He saw the dark burned marks on your arm and stopped you.

“Did you put medicine on it? You were in a lot of pain huh?” His eyes were filled with worry and warmth as he observed your arm.

You pat his hand and squeezed it. “Don’t worry. It didn’t hurt that much and it’s already getting better.” You turned around and went to open the fridge for whip cream and strawberries.

“How come you didn’t say anything, but took the blame anyways? We all knew it wasn’t you.”

“Yeol, let’s just forget about it. As long as no one got seriously hurt.” You took out a knife and started chopping the strawberries into halves. He sighed and stared at your back. *Na Yeon, why are you so easily forgiving?* You were way to nice for your own good and he didn’t like how people would take advantage of that.

“Go get ready.” You lightly pushed him towards the stairs. “I made pancakes and waffles. You wouldn’t want Tao and Sehun to eat it all.”

He grabbed your hands and yanked you closer. You gasped and held in your breath as you collided into his chest. “Why would I care about pancakes when you’re here?”

“C-Chanyeol!” You pushed yourself off of him. “You monkey! Stop joking around!” You frowned at him and turn away. He chortled loudly and jogged upstairs before you killed him.

*I will never get used to him.* You shook your head.

While you were setting the food onto the table, Sehun and Tao walked in eager to see you. “Noona!” They shouted and headed your way. You looked up wide eyes as they had their arms stretched out for you.

“Maknaes stop!” You held out both your hands and they froze right in front of you. “No hugs.” You already had enough of Chanyeol’s skinship that morning and didn’t want to go through the same thing with them as well.

Tao pouted and Sehun gave you his puppy eyes. “That’s not going to work.” You shook your head.

“Buing Buing.”

You gaped at them not believing they were actually trying to get their way with you. *Seriously guys?* “Am I supposed to fall for that?”

“Buing Buing.”

It was that easy. “Fine!” You rolled your eyes and gave in. “Not at the same time. Tao, you first.”

“Why is Tao first?! I’m the real maknae here!” Sehun whined and shot an evil stare at him.

“So what? It proves that I’m cuter.”

*Great, here they go again.*

Tao came forward to give you a hug while you stood there waiting for death. Sehun immediately grabbed his shirt and pulled him back. Before Tao would react to it, he wrapped his arms around you and started laughing.

“Sehun! You brat!” Tao shouted and lunged for the both of you.

“Guys! Quit it!” You were stuck in between and Sehun wasn’t letting go of you either. He swung you around so Tao couldn’t get to you. “Can you---”

“You cheated! Give my maid to me now!” Tao was angry and he wasn’t giving up.

“Sehun! Tao! I’m not a freaken rag!” You felt like they were pulling you into two. “If you don’t stop, you won’t get breakfast!” They weren’t even listening anymore and continued to fight over you.

*Oh my gosh.* Your head spun as you tried to get out from Sehun’s hold and Tao who was pulling you from behind kept shouting something in Chinese into your ears.

“KRIS!!!! SUHO!!” You called. “HELP ME!!” It may have sounded ridiculous, but it was getting out of control. Although, they weren’t actually fighting, it felt like you were being ripped apart. This was the reason why you hated their aegyo so much and never picked sides.

You heard everyone run out of their rooms to the scene. Someone took hold of your arm and pulled you out from ‘monkey in the middle’ and shield you away from the maknaes. You saw Kris and Suho take Tao and Sehun and started scolding them.

“You really have a thing for attracting people don’t you? Even the unwanted ones.”

You looked up and saw Kai gazing down at you. He couldn’t help, but chuckle at the way you looked right now. It was a mixture of confusion and trauma. You were out of breath and a wreck. Awkwardly, it made you look more adorable to him. “You ok?” He patted your back because you weren’t moving from his embrace.

“Maid!” Luhan came and took you away from Kai. His eyes popped in front of your face. Xiumin, D.O, Chen, and Lay surrounded you too. You never felt so sick in your life. This was one of the worst mornings ever thinking that you woke up early to make them an even better meal to encounter such horrific things. You knew Tao and Sehun were only being themselves, but it was too much in one take.

“Maid?”

“Is Na Yeon out of it?”

“Guys I--”

“Why won’t you answer us?” D.O turned you towards him to study your expression.

“D.O, I’m fi--”

Before you could even tell them to quit making a fuss, Chanyeol took you from him and cupped your face in his palms. “She’s burning up. We should take her to the ---”

“Can you all calm down and let go of her? She can’t even breathe because you’re taking up her air.” Baekhyun grasped your wrist and pulled you behind him.  

You sighed in relief and started fanning your face. “Guys just go sit and eat before you’re late.” They looked at each other and did as told.

“Thanks Baekhyun.” You let out a weak laugh. “Fun morning.”

He smiled at you and brushed a strand of hair away from your face. “Don’t mind them. They were really worried about you yesterday.” His voice was filled with concern and affection.

“They were….worried.” So that explained why Chanyeol was being so touchy and the two maknaes were fighting over for a hug. “Mianhae.” You gave Baekhyun an apologetic look. “I didn’t mean to.”

“That’s ok. I’m sorrier that I wasn’t able to do anything.”

You shook your head. “Ani. Don’t be and I’m really ok, so let’s all just forget about it and focus on….why the heck is D.O doing that?” You unconsciously took Baekhyun’s hand and dragged him to the table with were Exo was seated. The contact of your soft skin sent a wave of electricity though his body.

“D.O, stop being a goofball and share the whip cream.” He was putting it all over his pancake and everything that landed on his plate. He was using it to write Exo’s name and his signature making a mess on the table.

Suho grabbed hit from him and handed it to you. “I think you should hide it. He has a thing for whip cream.” D.O shot him a look with his huge eyes and turned to you. “Don’t you dare believe him.”

“Suho never lies.” You shrugged and he glared at you. “Okok…” You chuckled.

Then there was Tao and Sehun giving you the guilty look with their eyes. Kris sat in between them monitoring their behaviors. You saw him nudge them in the rib.

 “Sorry, noona…” They muttered feeling bad about before.

“Don’t worry about it. I had fun.” You lied to make them feel better. They beamed at you knowing you wouldn’t be mad.

“Come sit next to me.” Xiumin signaled. You smiled and headed towards him.

“She always sits with you Baozi. My turn.” Luhan gave you an innocent look to sit by him instead.

“My lap is free.” Chanyeol winked. You slapped a hand over your face and groan. *They will never get tire of this.*  

Kai couldn’t take his eyes off your silly movements. He realized that the way you responded and talked back was a reason why Exo loved teasing you so much. You didn’t take their jokes seriously and never got angry when they were too rough sometimes.

You walked over and sat between Lay and Chen. “I feel safer here.” You grinned at them. Xiumin and Luhan’s face fell in disappointment. Baekhyun laughed at your decision liking the way you always knew how to reject them.

Chen poked a waffle with his fork and put it on your plate as Lay drizzled a perfect amount of maple syrup onto it. “You know why I like you both the best right?” You whispered to them and the three of you smiled as if sharing the best secret ever.

“WE HEARD THAT!” The rest of the guys scoffed and muttered words under their breath at you. You bit your lip and muffled back your laughter.

“Wait a minute.” You stared at them. They stopped talking and looked at you. “Why are you all still in your pajamas?” They blinked at you cutely not saying a word.

“Hello?” You became tad bit suspicious.

“We actually don’t have practice in the morning this week, but we’ll go in the late afternoon.” Suho finally spoke.

“Yeah, we’re taking you to practice with us later today.” Chanyeol grinned excitedly.

“Muh?” You didn’t believe him.

They all one by one started smiling at you and nodded.