Day 2 (Sunday): Yongguk

Love Is A Trick

 

Yongguk~

“Isn't that President Choi’s son, Yongguk?” a few employees whispered as I strode into the main CC Entertainment building. Several people glanced my way, whispered quickly spreading throughout the building. Ignoring the gossipers, I boarded an elevator and went up to the top floor, where the conference room is.

Before I opened the doors, I fixed my tie and took a deep breath. When I pushed open the doors, the room fell silent and everyone watched as sat down in Dad’s usual seat. This wasn’t my first time attending a conference, but it made me nervous to be here without my dad. My chest tightened at that thought, and I quickly pushed it away.

“Well now that everyone’s here, let’s begin,” said Mr. Pak. He was the vice president of the company and Dad’s old friend, going all the way back to their high school years. He was like a kind uncle to me. “We have all gathered here today to discuss the obvious: Who will now run the company? The problem would be quite simple if… President Choi hadn’t said this in his will, “I, Choi Chungmin, would like to hand down my position as president of CC Entertainment to my son, Yongguk.”

Several men frowned at that, shaking their heads in disagreement. A man pounded his fist on the desk and spoke up.

“With all due respect, Yongguk is not old enough to run a company. He is only 23. He does not even know how the company functions.”

“Sir, I am the son of Choi Chungmin, the creator of the CC Entertainment. Do you really believe that he has taught me nothing about this company? With all due respect to you, sir, my father has taught me things that not even you know. I know every secret about CC, its strengths and weakness. My father has been drilling these things into me since this company was born eight years, two months, and seventeen days ago.”

His eyes narrowed, “Child, I don’t doubt that President Choi has taught you well, but how would we seem to the public eye if a twenty-three year old becomes the new president?  Other companies would mock and look down on us. And our rival, AJ, would take this chance to knock us out of the competition between entertainment companies.”

“Mr. Jang, cool your head,” Mr. Pak said sharply. “You do not have to use such harsh words when addressing my good friend’s son.

“Because of all the problems Mr. Jang has just addressed, I have a proposal. As a friend and employee, I believe that we should honor President Choi’s wishes. But it is true that Yongguk might have trouble handling the president’s position by himself, so I, the vice president, will stay by his side to guide him. For the time being, all of Yongguk’s decisions will go through me. Does anyone have any objections?”

The room was silent.

Mr. Pak smiled, “Then we have come to an agreement. This concludes the conference. Now, let us welcome our new president, Yongguk.”