Day 22 (Wednesday): Sohee, Jaebum

Love Is A Trick

Sohee~

I ducked as this ’s hand narrowly missed my face.

“We can talk this through,” I said, raising my hands. “No need to use violence.”

“Nah, I think you need some sense beaten into you,” the upperclassman snarled, her friends starting to surround me. “Who do you think you are, always flirting around Jaebum like that?”

His… girlfriend…?

Once again, she wildly swung at my face and narrow missed me. I sighed. I would rather not get into a physical fight, but in this situation, I didn’t know if there was any other choice.

I raised my knee up and swiftly kicked my attacker in the stomach, making her double over in pain. A different girl grabbed my wrist, shrieking at me. I pulled my arm closer to myself, effectively yanking her off balance. I kicked her behind the knee, making her stumble to the ground.

“Anyone else?” I asked to the remaining girls. They gave me cautious glares as they backed away from me. As they ran away, I put down a firm foot on the upperclassman girl to make sure she didn’t run away.

I pulled out my phone, “Jaebum? Could you come to the back of the school really quick? Yeah… it’s kind of an emergency.”

“I have good news for you,” I said to the girl who was struggling under my foot. “Your love is coming soon.”

Jaebum arrived a few minutes later and his eyes widened when he saw the two beaten up girls that I was holding hostage.

“Let’s go to the principal,” I said, pulling the upperclassman up to her feet. “Gotta go report that I beat up some girls.” I pushed one of the girls towards him. “Carry her. She’s injured.”

“And you’re not? What happened?” Jaebum demanded.

“Not really,” I said, dusting myself off. Other than when the girls had snuck up on me and kicked me onto my knees, they didn’t get me. I winced as the pain in my knees was finally starting to register, but I tried to not show it.

Together, we took the two girls to the office and I kicked the door open. Principal jumped at the loud bang and a pissed off expression came over his face. Then he saw me, and he tried to smile, without success.

“Sup Dad,” I said, pushing the girl inside and closing the door behind me. I pulled a er out of my pocket and popped it into my mouth, throwing the wrapper onto the table. He watched with furious eyes as I managed to break a few of his favorite rules: no littering, no food in his office.

“So… what happened?” he asked with forced calm.

“I got bored… so I beat these two up,” I said twirling the candy inside my mouth. The two girls watched me with wide eyes as I covered up for them while showing so much disrespect towards the principal.

“And were you involved in this?” he asked Jaebum, eyes glowing with anger.

“Oh no sir,” I said. “He had to stop me while I was on my rampage.”

“Why… are you so difficult,” he growled under his breath. “Well Sohee, even though you’re my daughter, I will have to suspend you for two days.”

I tried to put on a sad face. Probably didn’t work.

“Okay bye!” I said, pulling Jaebum out of the room with me.

“If I’m suspened… does that mean I have to stay in school for the rest of the day?” I asked Jaebum. He didn’t seem to be enjoying my humor.

“Sohee, tell me what actually happened,” Jaebum said quietly.

I shrugged, “You heard me back in the office.”

“You really expect me to believe that…” he said angrily.

“I’ll tell you… if you ditch the rest of school with me,” I said, throwing the empty candy stick in my mouth into the trash. “It’s only three periods.”

Jaebum studied me for a moment then said, “Fine… let’s go to my place.”

I smiled as Jaebum pulled me away to the parking lot. He strapped the helmet onto my head and we were off.

Once inside, I stripped off my ripped stockings and threw them into the trash. I studied my bruised knees with interest, debating if I should ice them or not.

“What happened to your knees?” Jaebum demanded as he pulled off his tie. He stepped over to the kitchen and came back with a bag of ice and a towel.

“Thanks,” I smiled as he sat down next to me. He pulled my legs onto his lap and gently laid the ice over my quickly swelling knees.

“Keep your promise,” Jaebum said.

I sighed, “It’s not a big deal. Some girls called me to the back of the school and started saying stuff about ‘don’t act so friendly with our Jaebum’. I tried to talk my way out of it, but they couldn’t keep their cool, so they attacked me. And then… I beat them up.”

Jaebum frowned, “By yourself? You against a group of girls?”

I shrugged, “You know, I used to get into a lot of school fights, so I’m pretty experienced.”

Just as the last word left my mouth, I realized I had made a mistake. I could almost see the gears turning in Jaebum’s head as he broke down what I just said.

“Really? At your old school?” Jaebum asked nonchalantly, putting on his usual poker face. The one I hated.

“Yeah, at my old school,” I said, wondering what I should do about this situation. Jaebum had been bound to find out sooner or later that I had recovered my memory. “I had this friend that I would always beat up people with. His name was… Myungsoo I think?”

Jaebum stiffened, seeming to be unable to keep his cool.

“You remember,” Jaebum said softly, more of a statement than a question.

“Sorry I didn’t tell you right away,” I said, studying his face, wondering how he would react to this.

“So you figured out everything then…?” Jaebum asked in a pained voice.

“Yeah… I did,” I said quietly.

 

Jaebum~

My whole body felt numb. I had known this would happen someday… but I couldn’t believe it had happened so fast…

What was I supposed to do in this situation? If Sohee had actually figured everything out, that would mean that she knew I was a fake and that my boss had killed her parents.

It felt uncomfortable to breath.

“Jaebum…” she said, looking at me with big round eyes. “I don’t know what you’re thinking right now, but do you want to know what I’m worried about?”

I weakly answered, “Sure…”

Sohee leaned her head back, looking at the ceiling, “I’m just worried that you’re gonna go off and decide on your own that it’s okay for you to just leave me.” She turned her head to look at me, “Because I still like you. That’s why I’m still here.”

I was stunned and an overwhelming joy was starting to swell up inside me, but I quickly pushed it away. How was this girl so okay with everything? Was I even allowed to have someone like her?

“No… I’m not allowed to have you,” I said softly. “My sole purpose in your life was just so that President Ahn would have a better information source. Sohee… even if you’re okay with it, I’m not sure if I should be…”

Sohee scooted herself onto my lap, making the ice slide to the floor. She wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me tightly.

“Stop thinking like that… I like you and you like me… isn’t that all that matters?”

She slowly leaned in until our lips met, kissing me softly.

 

Sohee~

As our kiss deepened, an awfully uncomfortable feeling settled in my stomach. I couldn’t believe I was doing this to him. The reason I had said all those words to Jaebum just now… was to make sure he didn’t tell President Ahn. If Ahn found out, my plan would be ruined.

You see… this whole suspension thing had also been preplanned. Tomorrow, while I’m being suspended, the house was going to be empty for a few hours. I was going to break into Ahn’s office and try to find what I can.

“I feel dizzy…” I said, pulling away and resting my head on his chest. I couldn’t believe I was doing this to him.