Day 20 (Tuesday): Sohee & Jaebum

Love Is A Trick

 

Sohee~

“You’re speeding up Sohee,” Mrs. Kang, the music teacher, snapped. “And try to show more emotion. Feel the music. Again.”

God I hated her.

“My old teacher was so much better…” I grumbled as I laid my fingers on the keys.

I froze. My old teacher? I distinctly remembered him… a classy old man, tall and handsome looking. Mr… Mr. Shin! Holy . I even remembered the small music room he used to teach me in.

“Well, what’re you waiting for?” Mrs. Kang asked, tapping her long fingernails on the piano cover.

I stood up abruptly, making the chair fall backwards.

“Okay first of all, I want to see you show more of that damn emotion you always blabber about. You’re like a fat bag full of , and excuse me, but I wasn’t speeding up. Maybe your brain was just slowing down,” I said, walking over to grab my backpack as she stared at me with an expression of shock, her dark red lips parted. “And also, it’s unprofessional for a piano teacher to have long nails like that. Don’t give me the, ‘I’m a teacher!’ , it’s unprofessional. Then again… you are unprofessional.”

I reached the door and kicked it open, “Well, I hope I don’t ever have to see you again.”

I walked out briskly, sneaking out the backdoor, then off campus. I took the bus to the old building. I remembered it. He had always given me lessons in his small apartment, on the third floor.

I got off the bus and slowly walked through the streets, the memories slowly coming back to me. I had walked this same path so many times in my life; through sunshine, through rain, and through snow.

I finally reached it, an old, small building, only a few stories high. I opened the door and climbed to the third floor. When I reached the door, I stared at the familiar ‘Piano Lessons’ sign. As I stood there, someone began playing the piano. I sat down on the stairs next to the door and closed my eyes.

The melody was sad and depressing, but beautiful. It was my teacher, no doubt. Listening to him play brought back old memories and it warmed my heart. We had spent countless hours together, music helping us form such a unique bond.

“Excuse me,” I heard from behind me. I was startled out of my daze and I looked up to see a middle aged woman coming down the stairs.

“Oh, sorry,” I said, hurrying to get out of her way.

She gave me a quizzical look, “Are you here for lessons? I thought the old man didn’t give lessons any more…”

“Oh… no,” I said. “But why not?”

She glanced at the door and lowered her voice, “Apparently his favorite student died a few weeks ago in a car crash… Soon after that, he said he was retiring and let go of all of his students. Ever since then, he just stays in his apartment, playing sad songs like that.”

“That’s really… upsetting,” I said, biting my lip.

“She was such a nice girl,” the woman muttered. “I’ve been living here for a while so I watched her come here for years, always leaving with a smile on her face even if she came in crying or frowning. Alright, well I have somewhere to be…”

I bowed as she walked away.

Again, I looked worriedly at the door. It made me want to cry that he was like this. I put my hand on the doorbell. Just as I was about to press it, I pulled my hand back. He already thought I was dead. If he saw me now, it would just cause him confusion and pain. But… talking to him would get me so much information…

I sighed and turned around. I wasn’t going to cause him trouble just for my selfish desires.

As I headed back to my neighborhood, Jaebum called me.

“Sohee!” he yelled. “You’re dad is so ing mad right now. You have no idea.”

“Tell him to chill his ,” I grumbled. I wasn’t in the mood to deal with my dad’s crap.

“Come to school,” Jaebum said quietly. “Please.”

I sighed, “Alright. I’ll be there in less than fifteen minutes.”

 

Jaebum~

“Come to school,” I whispered. “Please.”

“Alright. I’ll be there in less than fifteen minutes,” Sohee sighed.

I hung up the phone and glanced at Director Ahn.

“Satisfied?” I said, fighting to keep my voice even. He nodded and dismissed me. Fists clenched, I left the office.

I was angry at him but more than that, I was angry at myself. When Director Ahn had pulled the ‘think about your future’ card, I had immediately agreed to call Sohee. I was betraying her. But what was more important to me? My dreams of being an actor, something I’ve worked my whole life for, or Sohee, a girl I loved with all my heart?

Massaging my temples, I went over to the back door Sohee must’ve snuck through. After a little bit of waiting, Sohee snuck in through the door. As soon as I saw her, I instinctively hugged her, wrapping my arms tightly around her.

“What’s going… on?” Sohee asked, her voice muffled.

“Sohee,” I said sternly, holding her at arms length. Then I broke into a grin, “I’m glad you cussed out your teacher. She really is a .”

She laughed but the tone was off. Something was bothering her. But before I could question, she brought up her dad, making me remember my whole dilemma again.

“I’ll wait for you,” I said. “Then we can go home together.”

“Alright,” Sohee smile weakly as she made her way to the office.