Day 8 (Wednesday): Sohee & Jaebum

Love Is A Trick

Sohee~

“Your boyfriend’s here again,” my nurse announced. She rolled her eyes with a smile, “I don’t even know why I have to tell you every time he comes since he comes every day…”

Without my realizing, a smile was on my face, but before he entered, I quickly put on my usual, emotionless expression.

“Hey,” Jaebum said happily, sitting down on my bed. “How’re you feeling?”

I shrugged, “I feel fine. I wish they’d let me go home… Being stuck in this room is such a bore.”

Jaebum grinned, “You wanna go take a little walk then? I found something interesting at the small lobby.”

I raised an eyebrow and let Jaebum help me out of bed. I’ve been going through physical therapy, so I can walk fine now, but Jaebum still kept a firm arm around my waist. We walked through a few quiet hallways until we reached the small lobby. Right underneath the glass spiral staircase, there was a pristine baby grand piano.

“Ohhh, you know how to play piano?” I asked as we sat down on the stool. Jaebum lifted the cover to reveal the shining black and white keys.

“No, you do,” Jaebum said into my ear, pulling me closer to him. For once, I didn’t push him away; I was too mesmerized by the piano keys. Something about the black and white pattern gave me a tugging feeling.

“I don’t remember how to play,” I whispered, snapping out of my daze. I looked away from the keys and stared down at my lap.

“Don’t worry, I’ll have you playing again in no time,” Jaebum smiled, placing his hands on the keys. “Listen carefully, okay? This is C, D, E, F, G…”

The ringing sound of the piano cleared my head. It felt like the dense fog that had been occupying my head for so long was slightly lifting.

Cautiously, I pressed a key, and a beautiful, full note rang out. It all felt so familiar; the motions, the sounds, the feeling.

Suddenly, a sharp pain dug into my head, making my cringe. I gasped as the world went blank and I saw a brightly lit room before me. The room had vast windows that occupied most of a wall. In front of the windows was a glossy baby grand piano, the cover propped up. Bookshelves covered the other walls, from ceiling to floor, overflowing with music. The room was so familiar. I felt safe, comfortable…

“Sohee? Sohee?!” Jaebum gently shook my shoulder, snapping me out of my daze. I blinked. The room was gone, replaced by the small lobby.

“Sorry, I just like… blanked out…” I mumbled.

Jaebum’s eyebrows pushed together in worry, “Do you feel tired? Should we go back to the room? Actually, yeah, let’s go back. I shouldn’t wear you out like this.”

I normally didn’t like it when Jaebum fussed over me like this, but I let him take me back to my room. My vision bothered me and I wanted to be alone. Was it an old memory? Then what caused me to remember? The piano?

Jaebum helped me into my bed and I pretended to fall asleep. Jaebum stayed for a bit longer, then left after leaving a kiss on my forehead.

 

Jaebum~

            I caught myself staring at Sohee’s sleeping face and sheepishly looked away, feeling a bit of heat escape up into my cheeks. I blinked hard. God, what was wrong with me. I was never like this around normal girls. Normal girls. Sohee was so… special. I glanced back at her sleeping face. Her skin was pale, making her bright pink lips and dark lashes stand out. I looked closer and noticed dark circles under her eyes. I frowned. Was she really that tired…? Should I have not taken her to the piano? I thought she would like it since it had said she used to be a piano prodigy or something.

            Okay I feel like a ert again, I sighed. I leaned over and gently brushed my lips on her forehead, then left.

God, what was wrong with me… These days, when I was with Sohee, I felt so nervous, but also… happy.  Never before have I, Im Jaebum, ever felt this way around a girl. And I was determined to keep it that way. No matter how much trouble it was, I was going to keep my emotions locked up; I had to.

“You can’t fall in love with her,” I whispered.