Day 1 (Sunday): Yongguk

Love Is A Trick

 

Yongguk~

 

Rain pounded steadily on the windows as we drove home from the awkward family dinner. Sohee, my younger sister, was asleep with her head resting on my shoulder. Gosh, if only she could be as innocent and sweet as she looked when she was asleep.

As I fondly studied Sohee’s known to be beautiful facial features, the car suddenly swerved violently.

“Driver Kim!” Dad said sharply at our driver. “What just happened?”

“I’m so sorry, sir…” Driver Kim whispered. “I really, really didn’t want this…”

My eyes widened. I couldn’t believe it was Driver Kim. I had never suspected him.

Before anyone could question Driver Kim, he suddenly twisted the wheel and we headed for a steep cliff. Mom screamed and Sohee opened her eyes, dazed from her nap.

Just as we crashed through the metal fence, I enwrapped Sohee in my arms, hoping I could protect her. She screamed as our car flew off the edge and crashed violently down the hill. The sound of metal being crushed against the hard earth was deafening.

After what seemed like a century, everything fell silent, except for the steady sound of the rain. I slowly opened my eyes, terrified to see what had happened.

I had every right to be horrified.

Our car had managed to land upright. But now, it was just a giant piece of crumbled metal. Driver Kim and Dad lay lifeless in the front, unmoving and silent. I struggled to stay calm and tried to find a way to get out of the car. I pounded on the door, and on the third try, it creaked open. Gasping, I crawled out and pulled Sohee out. She was still alive! I was so relieved I wanted to cry, something I haven’t done in years. But I pulled myself together and limped to the other side of the car where Mom was.

I yanked open the door and yelled, “Mom!”

She was breathing heavily and there was a deep gash on the side of her head. I knew she wasn’t going to make it.

“Yongguk…” she whispered weakly.

“I’m here,” I said, holding her bloody hand. Tears stung my eyes.

“I’m so sorry… I… Couldn’t… Protect…” she gasped for breath. With a violently shaking hand, she reached for the nape of her neck and pulled out her golden necklace. “Take it… And… Protect So…Hee…”

She took a shuddering breath and then became deathly still. With every ounce of self-control I had, I held back the tears that were threatening to spill. I had to move quickly. There was no time to be crying.

I quickly removed the golden necklace from Mom and did the same with Dad. Every member of the Choi family had one. Hanging on the golden chain was a tiny golden puzzle piece, the symbol for the Choi Entertainment Company. Putting the two necklaces in my pocket. I limped back to Sohee, and I saw that her eyes were open.

“Sohee?! Sohee! Are you awake?!” I yelled as the rain continued to pound down on us. Her eyes seemed a little unfocused.

“… Oppa…?” she gasped. “Where’s… Mom…”

Tears stung my eyes. I took a deep breath and pulled a small glass vial out of my pocket.

“Sohee, I’m sorry. I have to leave you by yourself for a while. I… I have to… Wipe out your memories… I’m so sorry. But this’ll keep you safe, I promise,” I struggled to keep my voice steady.

I unscrewed the vial and poured the liquid into my younger sister’s mouth, then firmly put my hand over . Her eyes widened for a moment, but as she swallowed the liquid, her eyes began rolling back into her head and she fell limp.

I removed the necklace from her neck and carefully carried her back to the car, positioning her to make it look like she had never left the car.

I cleared away all evidence of me leaving the car and quickly climbed up the hill. I pulled out my phone and dialed Myungsoo.

“Hello?” he answered on the second ring.

“Myungsoo, it’s started,” I said.

There was a moment of silence before he asked, “Okay, where are you?”

“On the I-72. I’m at the cliff. Come quickly; police will be arriving soon,” I said.

“Did… Anyone else survive?” Myungsoo asked. In the background, I heard an engine rev loudly.

I hesitated. I knew how much he cared for Sohee. If I told him she was dead, he’d be devastated. But… If I told him she was alive, he’d do everything to bring her back to us, and that couldn’t happen if the plan was going to work.

“… No, everyone’s dead,” I whispered.

After a full minute of silence, Myungsoo said quietly, “I’ll be there in five.”