His Bestie (ME)

The Point is, I love you

Okay. So time passed by quickly and before I knew it, we were already teenagers. Well, unfortunately for me, I didn’t quite excel at anything; even my height. Many girls at our school looked pretty and stunning while on the other hand... I’m just me. Though I at sports and stuff alike, my grades in academics weren’t that bad. I’ve also noticed that as we grow up, Myungsoo seemed to develop a mysterious, cold and cool aura around him. He grew up to be ugh. A VERY VERY VERY HANDSOME young man.

 

But I tell you, though he was handsome and ‘cold’, He can totally be a cry baby in front of me. *giggles*

Anyways, this is already the present. Our classes just finished when I saw Myungsoo sitting under a tree, burying his face on his palms. Nevertheless, he looked sad and problematic. As you can see, unlike the old days, his parents have been arguing very often and to respect them, we never really asked what their problems were. Concerned, I walked and approached my buddy.

“Hey. Why so blue?” I asked him why as I took a seat beside him, resting my arms on my knees as I tilted my head to look at him.

“Seomi.. You there?” he asked, still lowering his head.

*Yes, who else would be by your side in a time like this anyway?!* “Yes.” I replied.

“Can you give me your handkerchief?”

“Wait. Does that mean you’re crying again?!” I asked with widening eyes as I tried to lift his head up to take a look at his face.

“Yah! Myungsoo! Stop being stubborn and look at me!” I demanded.

“No! No!” he refused but later on gave up. “Okay fine!” he barked, looking up at me with red swollen eyes. I softened and asked him calmly. “It’s her again?” I asked for the umpteen times.

 

“You know the answer. Now, hand me your handkerchief!”

Without words, I handed him my hanky and looked at a distance. I remember the first time I saw him cry not because of his parents but because of that girl. Classes just finished that day when I saw him crying beside this old apple tree.

FLASHBACK

“Why are you crying Myungsoo?” I asked.

“Can you give me your handkerchief?” he requested and I gladly handled him the item.

“You do know Krystal right?” he asked me.

“Wait. Are you telling me that you’re crying just because of a girl?! Jung Krystal?!” I asked with a wide smile, thinking that he was just kidding. But that joyful smile soon faded when he stood up and barked, “Don’t just her Seomi! She’s been my crush since I saw her and now, I just saw her smiling back at a guy!”

END OF FLASHBACK

I felt like I was being stab by knives that day, I swear I had teary eyes.  I mean, she was just smiling back at guy and he got jealous already? What the hell is that? My best friend, Kim Myungsoo had liked Jung Krystal since 6th grade and when we reached high school, they finally announced themselves as couples. You know what had hurt me more? He told me that he was going to have a big surprise for me on my birthday that year, on that day. I waited excitingly the whole day for that surprise but then, when classes were dismissed, he dragged me on this very same tree and whispered to my ear, “I finally got my dream girl.”

*Who is it?!* I wondered with a wide hopeful smile creeping on my face until he leaned in again and whispered, “Jung Krystal.” He smiled.

I was shocked at that very moment and it was like my tears were the most unstoppable things to stop for they just flowed down my cheeks for that very instance. As I remembered, he immediately softened as he saw tears flowing down my cheeks, asking me why I was crying.  “I’m very happy oppa!!!” I’m very happy for you!!!” was my reply. That was the biggest lie in my life.

“So what’s the reason for your tears today? The usual?” I asked but he didn’t reply. There are times when he did not want to tell me why and I respected that.

“You know what? Every time you cry, you always ask me for my handkerchiefs!” I beamed, trying to change the subject and cheer him up. Fortunately, he smiled.

“I even know all your handkerchief patterns already.” He replied.

“Aigoo~!!! Why are you always crying anyway?! Come here you derp!” I slung my arm around him and squeezed him.

Both of us laughed and went silent for a moment.

“I love it when you comfort me...” he said.

*I hate it when I have to because of her.* “Sure.” I replied.

Silence filled the air between us again until I sat up and gazed at him. “So should I start counting the times I hand my handkerchief to you Myungsoo????” I joked.

“Wae?!” He too, sat up. “Are you going to bribe me with it?!” he gave me those stares of his.

I laughed and went back to lean on the tree.

“Why do you always laugh Seomi? Don’t you get sad sometimes?” he asked as he fixed his eyes on my smile.

“I have to be happy right? Who would cheer you up when both of us becomes sad?” I gave him a warm smile.

Myungsoo leaned back to the tree... and hugged me.

“Thanks.” He muttered.

“Su-re.” I stuttered, since I was surprised of his actions.