The Young Myung and me

The Point is, I love you

The afternoon was windy and our surroundings were just as calm and perfect as we wanted it to be; we were having a picnic at the park not so far from where the Kim’s live. Both of our families have come together to celebrate my birthday. Anyone near our vicinity would always stop and smile as they whiff the air along with the yummy smell of hotdogs from the grill. Calming and enjoyable music was also being played from our car but my mind weren’t focused on any of those. I was standing on the foot of a not so distant tree from our picnic area.

“Myungsoo! Myungsoo!” I repeatedly called him from below, waiting for him to assist me on climbing to our tree house. “Hurry up and help me get there!” I screamed.

“Aisht! I feel like Rapunzel, seeing you down there! I should have let you climb first!” Myungsoo whined with his small and childish voice.

I giggled at his whimpers and started to call him princess.

“Shut up Yang Seomi! I am certainly not a princess! You... YOU PUNY DUCK!” he yelled back as he positioned himself to help me up in climbing onto our tree house. He had always called me puny duck for my pouting habits and though we were still young, our height difference had always been evident.

“Hey! Would you stop calling me puny duck?!” I whined, grabbing myungsoo’s hand. He held mine tightly and pulled me upwards, rather harsh.

“Mmf!” I landed on top of him, our hands still intertwined.

“Yeah... maybe I should stop calling you that and call you a tree-climbing hippo.” He teased and stuck a tongue out at me.

As a kid, ugh! That was really irritating. I could have punched him in the face and kick his back but too bad, he’s my best friend. Unable to torture him, I pouted and let out a sobbing sound... telling him that that actually hurt.

Hearing me, he turned around with a worried and sorry look but before he could say a word, our heads turned as Mrs. Kim shouted, “Yah! Don’t fight you two! Your siblings would soon join you after they change clothing!”

“Neh umma...” we chorused, already used to calling the other one’s parents umma and appa as well.

After such, Myungsoo eyed me again and said sorry. Though he apologized, I didn’t even move nor respond.

“Hey... I said I’m sorry...” he repeated but again, I didn’t reply.

Soon, he didn’t speak anymore but I could feel his stares and glares at me. I looked up and saw a mischievous look on his face.

“I said sorry.” He said.

“Yeah? And so?”

“Ugh!” he frustratingly ruffled his hair and with a swift second, his fingers moved all over my tummy and neck.

“RESPOND SEOMI! RESPOND!” he screamed, tickling me like hell.

“Kyaaaaaaaaa!” I laughed, rolled and kicked myungsoo. “St—STOAAAAHHHH KYAAA! STOP ITTTTTT!” I squeaked and laughed.

Enjoying ourselves and laughing heartily, both of us didn’t notice time pass by. Our siblings soon joined us and never did we had any better experience than spending time with each other’s company.

Night time fell. We already finished our little celebration and went back to our respective residences, waving good nights and byes to each other. By 8:00 pm, our own parents told us to go to sleep already. My brother and I went to our bedroom that we both shared but being young and stubborn little kids, I’ve always convinced my brother to join me in sneaking out to the Kim’s. Most of the time, we would be successful. *insert my little childish laugh here*

“Myu—“ I was about to call him when I saw him resting his arms on his windows, looking as if he waited for a thousand year.

“Took you long enough Seomi.” He said, tapping his fingers.

“Oh, and by the way hyung, you look stupid.” My brother who was just following me behind suddenly appeared.

I smirked at his sarcastic comment and stuck a tongue out at a very frustrated looking Kim Myungsoo.

My brother laughed, seeing his annoyed hyung and offered his hand to offer me help which I declined since I could manage. Both of us were now inside Myungsoo’s room. He already had prepared our ‘beds’ (blankets+pillows) and told us where should we sleep. My brother was unsatisfied of his ‘bed’ and went to sleep on the little sofa at the edge of his room. On the other hand, I was actually a bit surprised of how mine was actually nicely and neatly done.

“Wow. My bed looks pretty nice this time.” I commented in a whispering tone since it was night time.

“Uh..well...It’s your birthday... that’s why!” he stuttered for a bit. (and actually blushed a little as well.)

“Thank you!” I grinned and went to sleep.

He too, went to his bed. After praying, I lay back down and after turning around, my eyes widened as I gasped seeing Myungsoo’s face just an inch from mine. He was actually lying on his stomach, leaning over me from his bed.

“Seomi.” He spoke.

“eh?” I breathed and blinked.

“I forgot to give you my birthday gift.”

I was about to give out a sigh, knowing it was just that when suddenly, he kissed the tip of my nose, kissed my forehead and kissed my right and left cheek.

I was totally stunned. *ASDFGHJKVG AEITVBIUBAVAEHBVAERIYG;AONAHV HBREHBNA; RYTNHBAOHVB* I thought.

After giving me my ‘birthday gift’ he immediately went back to lying on his bed.

I didn’t notice what his reactions were. Ugh curse the dark!

“Goodnight Seomi.” He greeted for the last time.

“Su—su-re.” I stuttered.

I snapped out of my fantasies and smiled inwardly to myself, cheeks burning.

T O T A L L Y  flattered.

That was the very first time and well, as far as I remembered, it was the first and last and probably also the only and brightest moments when those wonderful fireworks appeared right in front of me because of something sweet a special someone has done for me.

UGH. ASDGEWULBCA;EBV.

That was also the first day that I’ve confirmed and convinced myself that indeed, I was in love with my best friend.

“SARANGHAE KIM MYUNGSOO!” I screamed and spazzed. But I only did that in my head so no one really heard that from me.