The Returnal

Cure For Summertime Blues
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Seung Hyun’s POV

I got outside the hospital’s building and sat on the first bench that I saw. It was impossible, right? What Ra Nae said…it was impossible, right? I looked down at my hands:in the left one I was squeezing the crumpled black and white photo of Min Ji and in the right one, I was holding the small note with the so called address. I was confused. Really really confused. Why would Min Ji lie to me? Why would she leave me and never come back?

Then it hit me:the only way in which I could confirm Ra Nae’s story was to check the address. Right!

I took the first cab that appeared in my sight. After I gave the diver the address, I let myself get lost in my thoughts. Ra Nae was behaving weird…the contract was expiring in few days. And I had this kind of weird feeling that was telling me ‘Something’s wrong!’…

The cab stopped in front of a beautiful villa. It was a new construction, surrounded by a black fence, having a nice flower garden right in front of the white façade. I pushed the gate open and stepped on the path made of white stone that led the way to the front door. But I did not follow it, but went around the house to the back entrance. That’s when and where I saw her. It was the kitchen’s window…she entered the room, carrying in her arms a smiling baby. She was followed from behind by a man dressed in white. Strange thing, my heart did not clench from the pain.

The family was perfect in its simple structure:she was now his wife, the mother of his child, his entire story.

She was no longer mine. Actually, she was never mine if I think about it for a second. She was just a part of my life, a tiny piece of the story that was about to be written in my life’s book.

My life…my place…my person.

Another ones’ face appeared in front of me, blocking the sight of the happy family. Another ones words resonated in my heart…

“I’m proud of you, Choi Seung Hyun. And I wish you all the best that there is…”

“TAXI!”I called as soon as I reached the main street. “To the hospital!”

~*~

“Ra Nae!”I called as I opened the ward’s door. “I’m…”

But the room was empty. The bed was empty and clean. There was no evidence of her existence. It was like she disappeared. It couldn’t be, right? She wouldn’t leave me, right? She wouldn’t leave me all alone, having no map whatsoever?

I left the hospital and got myself inside the cab that was waiting outside. My last hope was the house behind the junkyard…

“Please, Ra Nae…don’t go breaking my heart…”

I took a deep breath as I listened to the silence that surrounded the junkyard. It was…evil.

“Grandpa?”I called as I stepped inside the house. “Hyun Seung?”my voice echoed in the empty kitchen. “Where are you guys?”I called my friends, hoping that maybe, maybe it was just some kind of a nightmare that I had after eating too much peppers.

“Tempo.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter