chapter 48

What if we are not...

It’s Saturday morning, Krystal is helping her mom to prepare the breakfast. Amber is responsible to set the table. Mrs. Jung doesn't ask Amber to help out. But Amber feels lonely in the room because Krystal is not there so she follows Krystal to the kitchen.  She stands at the doorway waiting for Krystal to hand out the plates.

 

“Don’t eat it all by yourself Krys” Amber teases when Krystal tastes the one of the plates.

 

Krystal shows her tongue to Amber.

 

Amber pulls her eyes down to tease back.

 

“Omo omo the two of you.” Mrs. Jung notices Kryber playing around. “Balli help Amber to set the table if you are done.” Mrs. Jung tells Krystal.

 

“The table is almost set mom. She doesn’t need my help.” Krystal replies.

 

“Then go call your dad and sister to join the table. Where are they?” Mrs. Jung asks

 

“Mr. Jung is reading the news in the living room. I think Jessica is still in her room.” Amber informs Mrs. Jung.

 

“Is she still sleeping? It’s too late alredy. Krystal go and wake your sister up.” Mrs. Jung orders.

 

“Neh” Krystal replies and walks out of the kitchen. She does the “melrong” when she goes past Amber. 

 

Amber tickles Krystal at the waist which makes the girl startles.

 

Krystal uses her elbow to prevent Amber’s finger. Then she runs fast forward and goes up to Jessica room.

 

“JESS! WAKE UP” Krystal breaks in. She doesn’t bother to knock the door.

 

Jessica is doing video call with Yuri. She is still lying on the bed.

 

“PWHAHAHHA what are you doing?” Krystal asks. “Why are you kissing air to the phone?”

 

Jessica is not very happy to be interrupted. “Do you know to knock before enter? It says do not disturb in front of my door!” Jessica points the do not disturb sign hanging on the handle.

 

“I thought you were sleeping and could not hear if I knock.” Krystal explains. She sits on the edge of the bed. “With whom are you talking with?” She tries to look over the phone screen.

 

“It’s none of your business.” Jessica says. She gets up and pushes Krystal out the room.

 

“TKSSS I already know who you are talking with” Krystal catches Jessica cells “ANYEONG YURI UNNIE!!!”

 

“Oh Anyeong Krystal! How are you?” Yuri replies on the other line

 

“Hihihi I’m fine. Oh so you just woke up too? Hihi.” Krystal sees Yurin in the pajama over the phone camera. “Does my sister look y in the morning? You too really can’t miss each other right?”

 

“She is SUPER y when she is sleeping” Yuri replies with a smile. She moves her eyebrows up and down.

 

Jessica is very pleased to hear what her seobang just say. She cannot hide the smile

 

“OHHHH So the two of you did not simply share bed in the past. Should I understand it implied more than sleeping next to each other? So how many time IT happened” Krystal giggles 

 

“YA! Give the phone back to me” Jessica grabs the cell back before Krystal goes too far. She pushes Krystal outside of the room and closes the door

 

“Mom is calling you down to eat. The breakfast is ready!!” Krystal shouts.

 

“Tell her I’m coming in five minutes.” Jessica says.

 

“Why? You miss Yuri unnie that much? Just get married already!!” Krystal yells. Then she goes down stairs.

 

The table is all set. Mr. and Mrs. Jung are already sit at their usually place. Amber is serving the juice to the elder.

 

“Is Jessica awaked?” Mrs. Jung asks.

 

“Neh. She is talking on the phone with Yuri unnie. She says she will come down in five minutes” Krystal replies.

 

“Ok. Let’s eat then.” Mr. Jung says. He puts down the newspaper.

 

“Thank you for the foods!” Kryber say and start eating.

 

While eating, Kryber are doing grimace to tease each other and blurt out of laugh by themselves. The parents are busy talking about their subjects and then Mrs. Jung turn to ask Amber. “Amber, did you call your mother?” Mrs. Jung.

 

“Neh.” Amber answers and nods.

 

“So? Well will you go back to the US?” Mrs. Jung asks.

 

“WHAT? You are going back to the U.S.? WHEN?” Krystal raises her voice because it’s a sudden news to her. “I thought you wanted to say over until the summer ends.”

 

“That’s what I wanted too but Harvard is asking to do the classification test.” Amber tries to explain.

 

“Why didn’t tell me about that?” Krystal asks. She is not very happy at the moment. “For when is the test?”

 

“Next week” Amber replies.

 

“When exactly? Is it for Monday or Friday?” Krystal asks with a mad tone.

 

The parents notice that Krystal is not in a good mood. They just observe and listen to the conversation. They would only interrupt Kryber if it's necessary.

 

“The test is on Tuesday” Amber answers. She doesn’t want to talk about it but she doesn’t have any choice either.

 

“So you will leave this week-end. If I don’t ask, when will you let me know? You want to disappear from me just like that?”

 

At this moment, Jessica joins the table. “Wow the foods look so miamy! Thank you mom!” Jesica says and hugs Mrs. Jung

 

But Krystal continues with her question because she is really not happy with Amber. “So will you come back after the test is done?”

 

Amber sighs and answers. “I don’t know yet”.

 

“How come you don’t know? If you want to return in Korean you would plan to buy a ticket to go back. You don’t know or you don’t want to?”

 

“I really don’t know! I may have to wait for obtaining the test result. And I don’t know if there is any other procedure following the test. If yes then I’ll have to remain longer in the U.S. Even if I want to come back here I really can’t decide with a specific date.”

 

“But still you should have let me know that you are going to the US sooner than expected!”

 

For the rest of the day, Krystal is mad with Amber. Amber wants to explain more but Krystal doesn’t want to listen. Then Kryber’s  fight become more serious when Amber sees the text message that Minho sends to Krystal. He is asking Krystal out to watch movies.

 

“How come you have his contact?” Amber asks.

 

“Who tell you to check my cell?” Krystal angrily asks.

 

“I didn’t check you out. You left it on the bed and I just happen to see the message. Why do you have to keep contacting with him?”

 

“Well you just do not need to read the message even it’s shown to your face. He found me on facebook and added me in.”

 

“Just stop talking to him.”

 

“Why? He saved me once. There is no harm to be friend with him. He is nice toward me. Nicer than a certain person.” Krystal indirectly means the not nice is Amber.