Chapter 37

What if we are not...

Yoona is waiting at the bus stop. She has the habit to take public transportation every morning to go work. Even if she has a driver licence, she can’t afford to buy a car yet because she has to support her father. She leaves in a poor area so there is no place to park the car anyway.

 

Yoona is in a deep thought. It’s her first day back to work after about a week of vacations. She feels a bit worry as she will finally see Yuri. She is trying to think how she should act in front of Yuri, especially when Yulsic are together. She tries to picture their intimate scenes in order to get prepared mentally because she doesn’t want to show her sad feeling. She tells herself to act as normal as possible. She needs to avoid looking at them. Her heart sinks just to think about it.

 

Yoona gulps to stop thinking about Yulsic. She needs to put Seo in her head. She is rolling back all the good times they have spent together during the vacation. It’s like reviewing a film with fast speed. All the images are flaying back in her head continously. She is seeing Seo’s smile, Seo’s hug, Seo’s kiss. She remembers very clearly the day Seo kissed her. The earth seemed to stop turning when their lips touched. Yoona let Seo kissed because she hoped it would erase the kiss she had with Yuri at the club. She feels a bit selfish but it’s the only way to clear Yuri image from the memory. It’s hard because she has built her feeling for Yuri during almost 10 years. She did not confess because she wasn’t certain and then Jessica stole Yuri away from her life.

 

Someone slowly approachs Yoona from behind, the person pokes on Yoona right shoulder. She turns to look but there is no one. Then, she feels someone touches her left shoulder but there is no familiar face on her left.

 

“Hello” Seo greets

 

Yoona startles because of the sudden appearance. She puts a hand on her chest to stable the shock. “What are you doing here?”

 

Seo puts her hands on the back and line up next to Yoona. “I’m waiting for the bus”

 

Yoona crosses her arms. “What are you trying to do again? If my memory is correct, your house is not nearby this area.”

 

“Well my girlfriend’s house is in this area. I miss her face so I have to come here. If you see her, please let her know I miss her.”

 

“I’ll forward the message. But it’s unfortunate because I think your girlfriend must go to work. She can’t stay home and spend much time with you.”

 

“She is indeed a hard working girl. So I decided to send her to work every morning”

 

“HUH? Every morning? But your girlfriend is not a kid anymore she can go by her own.”

 

“I have no doubt but I need to protect her. She is so pretty that may attract all the erts on the bus.”

 

Yoona smiles at Seo silly game.”I think it will not happen to your girlfriend because it’s much crowed in the bus. There is no room to make a single movement so even the ert is there, he would not be able to do anything”

 

“That’s the point. The bus is so packed that people are not aware of the ert even if they are being touched. I need to protect my girlfriend’s butts. Oh I think the bus is arriving” Seo points at the bus. It stops in front of Yoona since she is the first one of the line. But Seo steps in first because she wants to reserve a place for Yoona to sit down.

 

People who are waiting is complaining because Seo skips the queue. “Choisonghabnida” Yoona bows to the rest of the line and hopes in the bus after Seo.

 

“Yoona ah over here” Seo waves from the back.

 

Yoona feels a bit embarrassed because everybody in the bus is staring as she walks past.

 

“Sit here, there is still an empty place before other people come up” Seo grabs Yoona’s wrist.  

 

“Let give it to that grandmother” Yoona says. She points at the grandmother who is walking toward them.

 

But a guy around 14-15 years old rapidly put his on the empty seat.

 

Seo glares at the teenager boy. “YA! You would die sooner if you don’t give the seat to halmoni” Seo says.

 

The boy has no choice to give the seat since everybody is staring at him.

 

“Halmoni. Please take this seat.” Seo politely says.

 

Seo pulls Yoona to stand closer when the bus starts to be filled up. She uses her body to cover Yoona.

 

Yoona smiles at Seo. “Mian I give the seat you reserved to another person”

 

“Don’t worry. It’s better this way because I can stand closer to you” Seo smiles back. “There is no space between us” Seo talks in Yoona’s ear.

 

Yoona can’t help to laugh at the silly Seo. But she understands that Seo really cares for her. She feels blessed to have Seo beside; the one who is always ready to protect, to make her laugh and to pull her out of the sadness. Yoona feels bad because she has not yet done anything in return for Seo.  

 

Suddenly the bus driver breaks rudely because a little boy is crossing over the street without looking. Yoona falls over Seo. Her lips press on Seo’s cheek by accident.

 

The driver apologizes to everybody and is back on his duty.

 

“Thank you” Yoona says to Seo

 

“No need to say thank. I’ll always there to catch you whenever you fall.”

 

Yes you are always there for every single time I need help, not only this time. Yoona thinks. Yoona remembers Seo helped her during high school when she missed class. Seo helped her to study, to do the homework, to prepare for exams.  She starts to feel touched for everything Seo has done from the past until now.

 

“I mean for everything.” Yoona says.

 

Seo smiles back. “I think we are arrived.” Seo points at the KW administrative building “Let get off” Seo grabs Yoona’s hand and lead the girl out of the bus.

 

When Yoonhyun step toward the building, they see Yulsic is holding hand and walking in.  

 

Yuri stops as soon has she notices Yoonhyun. Jessica wants to take her hand back because she afraid Yoona would feel hurt. But Yuri is holding firmly. That action makes Jessica feels more secure with Yuri. She has no more doubt that Yuri really loves her too. But she still look after Yoona reaction as she should not be too intimate with Yuri and Yoona would feels uneasy.

 

Yoona wants to remove her hand from Seo when she sees Yuri looking at their hands.

 

Seo doesn’t let go. She interlaces the fingers with Yoona.  

 

“Anyeonghaseoyo Yuri unnie” Seo steps toward and greets.

 

“Good morning” Yuri greets back. “How was your vacation?” Yuri asks.

 

“It’s the greatest trip ever!” Seo says and shows her interlaces hand with Yoona to Yuri. She wants to declare their relation so Yoona would not have a chance with Yuri anymore; or Yuri will not make any move to Yoona. She needs to separate Yoonyul.

 

“Congratulations babySeo” Yuri says.

 

“Unnie I’m not a baby anymore” Seo says.

 

“You always look like a baby for me, I’ve known you since you were little now you are all grown up. You are even taller than me” Yuri says.

 

“You sound like Sunny unnie. You two are alike” Seo smiles

 

Jessica looks at Yuri as soon as Sunny’s name is mentioned. She wants to see Yuri’s reaction.

 

“Aiish I’m different.” Yuri says. “Are you coming to visit me?” Yuri asks

 

“Anyo I’m just sending Yoona to work” Seo looks at Yoona and replies.

 

Yoona smiles back. “Thanks. I think we need to go in now”

 

“Okay I’m going. I’ll come after work to accompany you back home. See you later.” She kisses Yoona forehead in front of Yulsic. She needs to be bold, to leave her mark so Yoona would not be able to think too much.  She needs to do that in order to push Yuri away from Yoona.

 

“Ok see you” Yoona says

 

Seo greets Yulsic and leaves.

 

Yuri smiles at Yoona.

 

“Let’s go in” Yoona says and goes in the building.

 

Yuri wonders if Yoona has finally gotten over what happened. She wants to ask if Yoona needs any help but she remains silence. She thinks if she cares too much, Yoona may misunderstand and it will be more complicated.  She somehow feels less worry because Seo seems to be able to make Yoona happy.

 

Yuri looks at Jessica who shows a smile to her. Yuri smiles back and winks to reassure the little girl that everything is ok now.