Chapter 18

Being Juliette

[A/N This is a short one- but I decided to "rewrite" Chapter 17... in Amber's POV. I thought it'd be important to see her side of what happened. I've already got most of Chapter 19 written, so expect another update later tonight. ^^]

 

 

As I walked into the room, he opened his eyes, quickly stood up and walked over to me. Before I could say anything, he pulled me into his arms and hugged me. I was too shocked to say or do anything. Even for as good of friends we’ve been, and with all the random hugs we’ve shared over the years- with the recent revelations of my feelings and turn of events; this hug still felt too different… and it affected me down to my toes.

“M-Minho…” I gasped out as he just hugged me tighter.

“Shh… I’ve missed you more than you can imagine… just let me hold you a little longer, Amber… please,” he whispered.

I closed my eyes and let myself enjoy the moment in his arms. I’ve missed you too, Minho… so much…

A few minutes had passed and he still hadn’t let go and still hadn’t said anything. Oh, Minho… you’re going to make me crazy… I had to move away from his arms- it would only confuse my heart more if I stayed in his embrace longer. I pushed his arms away and said, “Minho… I have food. You need to eat before you have to go back to practice.”

“Food?” he asked, a puzzled look on his face.

That moment felt just like old times that I had to laugh. That’s right, Amber… act like you used to- be the cool, collected Amber as you’ve always been.

“Ne, pabo… that’s why I was late- I ran to pick up some Chinese food,” I said and showed him the bag full of food. I sat down and he followed suit. Act normal… you’re doing fine… you’ll be ok.  I started to take out all the food and was determined to make it through dinner.

I looked up at him to see he was staring at me- his handsome smile plastered on his face. Omo…omo… I had to look away; otherwise I’d give in to what my mind wanted to do- run away.

We started to eat- it was completely silent except for the ticking of the clock and the sounds of us eating. I didn’t know why he wouldn’t say anything… or why I couldn’t. The awkwardness was killing me… I couldn’t keep this up- I really felt ready to run… I inwardly sighed and decided I couldn’t, shouldn’t and wouldn’t wait to have this conversation any longer- I wanted to move on from this.

“Minho…” I started, but couldn’t look at him. I just kept poking at the remaining pieces of meat on my plate.

“Ne, Amber-ah,” he answered.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, looked up at him, and asked, “We’re best friends, right?”

He smiled at me. “Ne, Amber… best friends.”

My heart ached at his answer. So that’s how it is… pabo, Amber… did you really expect a different answer? “So, let’s forget about what happened the other week, and go back to how we were… I hate this awkwardness,” I quickly said.

I felt tears form in my eyes; I quickly looked down and started poking my food again. I wasn’t too sure of what his reaction would be- would he be happy? Feel relieved?

“Why Amber?” he asked.

I looked up at him, surprised with his question. “What do you mean why, Minho? I’m not sure why it got me so embarrassed anyways… It was for work and done to protect my identity-which I’m grateful for- so… let’s forget the awkwardness and go back to how we were.”

Even as I said these words, I felt my heart aching… I wanted to cry… what was it about me that was so bad? I know I’m not pretty like other girls or feminine like other girls… but for once, couldn’t I be the one that someone chose to want to be more than friends with? I put down my fork, closed my eyes, and leaned against the mirrors.

Pabo Amber… be happy knowing you’re his best friend… stay beside him, comfort him… protect him from pain, keep him safe from danger… show him your love as his best friend and support him to help him shine…

“Amber…” I heard him say. “Were you embarrassed to have kissed me?”

I opened my eyes in shock. Mwoh? I answered honestly, “No… yes… Oh, I don’t know, Minho. I just know that afterwards, it made things awkward between us. And I hate that- I’ve missed you so much, and just want my best friend back, ok?” Cause if that’s all I can be to stay by you, then that’s all I will be…

He shook his head, stood up and started to walk away.

I felt my legs go weak. Don’t go, Minho… don’t say no… at least let us be friends…

He turned around and walked back to me. “No, Amber. I don’t want to stay best friends with you.” He then put his hands on my shoulders and pulled me into a hug.

What… just happened? He doesn’t want to stay friends? I could feel my tears start to fall... and I could feel myself fall apart. I couldn’t stay here; I needed to go- needed to be anywhere but here. I gave in to my earlier temptation and pushed his arms off me and started running.