Chapter 1

Being Juliette

 

“Tell me again why I’m doing this?” I asked while rolling my eyes. I looked at my reflection and glanced up at my unnie, trying to give her the evil eye while holding in another sigh. I closed my eyes and gave in to my sigh. What in the world was I doing here with long brown extensions attached to my head… and more makeup on then I’ve worn combined since… ever. I felt my body shudder; goose bumps all over my body- and not from the cold either.

”Why? Why? Ugh, people are going to laugh at me, I know it!” I thought to myself and slouched deeper into my chair.

Victoria brushed back her long hair, leaned in towards me and just smiled. “Because Amber, you broke your promise... again. So now, you have to deal with the consequences.” Victoria raised an eyebrow and tilted her head at me… pouted… tilted her head to the opposite side and then slowly smiled. “I like it, Cho Hee unnie. She’ll have a half-mask on later, so line her eyes darker,” she told our makeup artist. “Everyone loves her eyes!”

I rolled my eyes and did a merong.

Cho Hee unnie just nodded and continued putting makeup on me. “Yah, Amber! Quit rolling your eyes. You’re looking very pretty!” she told me and pursed her lips. “Victoria, should we go for red lips? The dress she’ll be wearing is red, right?”

I sat up quickly and tried to turn around to look at Victoria, but Cho Hee unnie poked my nose and raised an eyebrow at me. I sat facing front again, my now dry lips and whined, “Unnie! D-dress? I didn’t agree to a dress!”

I could see Victoria grinning through the mirror. I have never wanted to smack her more than now. I glared at her and she just shrugged, knowing I had to complete this task- especially since I couldn’t turn away from this task and I broke a promise. Well, it really wasn’t a promise, was it? Does the promise of not being late really count as a promise? Nevermind… even asking it in my head, I couldn’t find a different word to use then promise. Ugh! It’s not fair… it wasn’t my fault Luna turned off my alarm before leaving for her schedule, and that I was late to practice… again. I sighed and rolled my eyes... for the thousandth time that morning.

“P-plus, you’re back in Seoul. You can do the shoot like manager oppas had wanted in the first place!” I said through my teeth, since Cho Hee unnie was now doing my lips. I could see the red and feel it on my lips. How and why did my being late to practice last week get me in this mess?

“Aniyo, Amber. You know I can’t. I’m supposed to fly back to Taiwan tonight,” she answered while playing with my extensions. “Plus, this gives you a chance to be more feminine… you remember saying that, don’t you?” She grinned at me like the flipping Chesire cat.

But she got me there- I mentally face-palmed myself. I knew that one statement said in an interview would haunt me forever- the teasing was worse in the beginning, but I had hoped since there hadn’t been any teasing lately, it had been forgotten. Oh, how wrong I was. I closed my eyes and kept my mouth shut.

Cho Hee unnie put down the lip brush, and clapped her hands. “Yeppuda!” She smiled at us, waved and walked out of the room with a, ”Fighting!”

Victoria waved at Cho Hee unnie and smirked at me. She turned away to grab her water bottle and sat down in the chair next to me.“Plus, someone from f(x) has to be there for the shoot. You’re the only one who can do it today.”

I stopped listening as she continued talking. I knew she was going to just go on again about how Krystal and Luna were both busy shooting for their dramas, and Sulli had classes that day. She had been requested by Manager Oppa, but with filming in Taiwan, it was doubtful she would be here for the shoot. So I was the only obvious choice left.

“Tell me again what this shoot is for?” I interrupted her. “I mean, SM Entertainment has other girl groups… why did it have to be someone from f(x)?” I honestly hadn’t minded when the rest of the f(x) members made this MV shoot my “punishment” for being late to practice again- but that was before I found out about the dress… and the makeup… and did I mention a red dress?

“Remember when we rerecorded new MVs for LA chA TA and NU ABO about a month ago?” Victoria started to explain. I nodded and she continued. “Didn’t you wonder why?”

“I did, but you know me. Sometimes I don’t question what the Manager Oppas make us do,” I replied. ‘At least not out loud,’ I added in my head.

“I guess they’re planning on making a DVD of some of SM Entertainment’s groups’ videos and live concerts,” she answered. See, this is one main reason she’s our leader- she’s always in the know of what’s going on. “They’re hoping it’ll do well in helping introduce some of us to places like the United States and South America. As well, as give back to our fans in Asia.” She smiled at me. I smiled back.

“That’s a great idea. I like it. But, if we’ve already filmed our MVs, what am I doing today?” I asked,  slightly scratching my head, really puzzled.

“Well, you know how we’re good friends with all of the SHINee members?” she asked, as she slapped my hand away from my hair. I nodded at her question. “You’re going to be in one of their MVs.”

I couldn’t help my mouth dropping open. “You mean, the Replay MV?” Victoria unnie had been in the original Replay MV and she had looked so pretty… but wait, if it was that video, why would I be in red…  and with a mask? She shook her head at me. “We rerecorded that MV about two weeks ago, Amber. Did you forget that I was talking about it at dinner when we were with Donghae oppa?”

I pouted, since I forgot she had told us. “So which MV then? And why couldn’t they just use the MVs as they were?” Victoria sighed and stood up. I think I overdid my questioning… I could see her patience was getting low.

“Molla!” she said under her breath. She grabbed my hand and had me stand up. “Come on, we need to go see the cordi-unnie to get you in that dress. Oh, and the MV SHINee members chose to rerecord is Juliette.”

I swear my eyes popped out of my head. Me? In the Juliette MV? What is this?

“And,” she added while grinning again, “no one knows you’re going to be in the MV.”