chap 5

Summer Ghost Boy

 

Jisun was shocked to hear the words. Her hearts suddenly went pounding. She somehow feels flutters in her heart. She doesn’t even know who’s the man standing in front of her, as all she know that this Young Saeng is just a ghost boy. But, the words really went into her heart. And she could actually feel the cold hands she’s holding onto.

                “What was that.. a ghost is confessing to me?” Jisun opened her eyes to look at Young Saeng who’s hoping for a better answer from her.

                “What do you feel? It usually works on girls.” Young Saeng asked.

                Jisun hesitated. Then she replied, “Weird? I don’t know. Do I look like the girl you loved when you were alive before?”

                Disappointed, Young Saeng let go off her hands. “I told you I’m not a ghost.”

                Jisun felt sorry for saying that to him. So she went to comfort him. “I’m sorry. I was confused. Now tell me what your story is actually.”

                Young Saeng looked at her. “I can’t tell you the truth. If not, I’ll disappear forever.”

                “Well then explain to me how this happened. I’m pretty messed up already here trying to figure out who you are.”

                “Hmm.. okay. Just take me as a person who actually exists in this world. But suddenly a spell I accidentally read out caused me to vanish from this world. And to be exact, I only got 19 days before I completely vanish.” Young Saeng took a break to see if Jisun is still confused. “By each day, my figure will fade little by little.”

                Jisun who’s hearing his story in amazement, got her jaws fall. Like a little children wanting to know what happens next, she asked in curious, “How did you know why this all happening to you?”

                Sighing, Young Saeng pointed to the book that fell on the floor just now. “This. MAGIC IN YOU. Read it, and understand the things.”

                Jisun took the book, and started to prepare some space on her brain to fill in the thick book. “I just really not interested in magics.. what is..”

                Suddenly her door got knocks. And right at the moment, Young Saeng disappeared. Jisun looked all over her room, but Young Saeng has really gone. Frustrated, she opened the door in rage. “WHAT?!”

                Jungmin was surprised to see his sister got so mad for him to knock her door. “Why? I’m just too kind that I come here to call you for dinner, and you’re just giving me that angry face?”

                “It’s dinner already?” Jisun checked the clock. It’s 8 pm already.

                “What’s wrong with you.. something happened again?” Jungmin asked.

                “You won’t believe if I say so.” Ignoring him, she went pass him and walked downstairs.

                Jungmin quickly grabbed her hands. “I haven’t been sleeping well since you fell unconscious out of sudden. Hey I’m your brother.. tell me everything after dinner, okay?”

                Jisun want to refuse, but she really want to share it to  him. “Well.. I’ll think about it.”

***

“Hoaaargh!” Jisun’s big yawn annoyed Jungmin who is flipping and reading the book carefully.

                “Stop yawning! I’m also tired replacing you to read this book. Aish! I should call Kyu Jong to come over. Why didn’t you ask the ghost to tell everything?”

                “It’s your fault that you suddenly knocked the door.” Jisun replied. Then she crossed her arms, put her head on the table.

                “Argh.. don’t sleep!” Jungmin threw pillows to her.

                “Ouch! Stop! If you can’t bear it any longer, call Kyu Jong to come over!” With her anger, she threw the pillows back to him.

                “Stop it. It’s so hard for me to read this book. If only there are no highlights for certain words like this, I won’t get my head screwed up reading this. The whole paragraph got these pinky permanent highlights on some of the words.” As Jungmin mentioned the 'highlight' thingy, it caught Jisun's attention.

                Jisun come to Jungmin to see it herself. “I didn’t saw that just now.”

                “It’s only on the page 49. But this chapter is the hardest one to understand so I need to re-read several times. These words only disturb my already teary eyes.” Sighing, Jungmin continues to read.

                “Wait.. “ Jisun took a pen and her book. Then she jots down all the highlighted words. Jungmin only watches his little sister being so captivated on writing all the words down.

                Then she finished writing all the words on the page 49. Jungmin took the book and takes a look. “What is the point of living if there is no one remembers you? Go find one and you will succeed. Or you will disappear.” Jungmin reads out the words.

                “Wow.. I never knew I can just turn on this page to understand the whole situation.”

                “What?” Jungmin asked. He didn’t understand any of it.

                “The ghost boy said, he actually exist just like us. But he disappeared because of the spell at the back of this book. And he tried to make me remember him, but I really don’t coz I never saw him before. Maybe I looked similar to a person he knows. And he’s trying to find people who remember him, so he can continue living. Or else, like this sentence, he’ll be gone forever.”

                “And why did he choose you to be the one who can see him?”

                “I don’t know.. Maybe because I’m the only one that could see him back when I was at the library?  Coz he asked if I could see him.” Jisun explained.

                “Wait.. you said he only got 19 days before he disappear forever if we didn’t help him. It has been a month, right?” Jisun nods to answer it. Then Jungmin continues, “Adding both, it’ll be 49 in total. And these are in the 49th page, right?”

                “The 49 days. Isn’t that related to the life after death? Is this ghost boy dead already?” Jisun asked Jungmin. But Jungmin only looked back at her, both confused on what’s what.