chap 3

Summer Ghost Boy

 

“He didn’t look so frightening like this evening so I wasn’t really surprised. But it seems like I knew him. I think I’ve met him before, other than the shocking encounter at the library.” Jisun said, while the other four were all ear to her.

                “Did he said something?” Kyu Jong asked.

                “Uhm.. he said.. sorry?” I can’t hear it too clear as Hyungjun suddenly screamed. Then he was gone.” Jisun said. There sounds a bit disappointment in her voice.

                “What? Now you’re disappointed you didn’t get to converse with the ghost?” Jung Min .

                “It’s not like that. I just feel like he needs my help. And I feel like I knew him a long time ago.” Jisun replied.

                Then Hyungjun remarked, “I got the same feeling too. But I don’t know why I got the headache as well.”

                “Jisun ah, let’s take a look back in your room.” Hyungjun said. Agreed, Jisun led them to her room. Hyungjun was amazed upon seeing stacks of books for the assignment he also need to do since they are in the same class. “Wow.. I don’t even remember how many assignments I should do. You’re already doing it?”

                Jisun just smiled. “I got a big plan for my summer holiday. It if my assignments keep getting into the way while I’m enjoying my holiday.” Jungmin then just give them the that’s-my-sister look.

                Hyun Joong saw something on the floor, and then he picked it up. “Hey your assignments include this?” Everyone in the room got their eyes on the piece of bookmark he held. Written on it, MAGIC TRICKS.

                “I wasn’t that talented in magic.” Jisun stared at the already dog-eared bookmark. But that old piece of paper attracted Kyu Jong.

                “Hey this is the book I’ve been looking for.” Kyu Jong took the bookmark. He’s so interested in magic. “But this isn’t mine.”

                “Hmm.. how about this. Tomorrow’s the first day of our holiday. Let’s go to the library and try to find something to answer these all.” Hyunjoong suggested. Everyone nodded to agreement.

***

“Jisun ah, found the book?” Jungmin asked her sister who was surrounded by books, all related to magic.

               “Not yet. The librarian seems to hate me. She didn’t even tell me the specified bookshelf to start with..” Jisun sighs.

                “Out of us, you’re the most experienced one in this library.” Hyungjun said. He also helped searching for the books that match with the bookmark. Though it seems hopeless by seeing the books arranged higher than he does, he still looked for it one by one.

                “Hey.. what if you try to look for a book titled ‘MAGIC IN YOU’. The writer for both books is the same.” Kyu Jong told Jisun.

                “That title? Wait I think I found it just now.” Hyungjun shoved away all the books on the top. After digging hard enough as if he’s looking for hidden treasure, his fingertips finally touched the dusty cover of the book.

                “Yes that one!” Kyu Jong took it and went to the table. “It’s pretty old. I guess nobody has ever borrowed this book since the last two years.”  He flipped the pages.

                Seeing Jisun was still sitting beside the bookshelf, Jungmin lends his hand to help her up. “Let’s go. Don’t tell me you want to rearrange these books back.”

                “Nope, I’ll come after I put these all back.” She totally wanted to win the librarian’s heart back. Or it’ll be hard for her to borrow extra books later.

                Actually, she got the hunch that she’ll meet the ghost boy again if she’s alone. Compared to the fear she might have which nearly plucked her heart, she’s too excited to meet him again.

                Right at the moment she was left alone, she heard someone calling her name. “Jisun ah.”

                Alerted by the voice, she slowly looked around. Though she firmly set in her mind there’s nothing to fear, her hands are ready grabbing the thickest book as her defense tool. She looked through the empty shelf in front of her. Suddenly a figure appeared just at the moment she rolled her eyes through the shelf. “Oh! You’re surprising me!”

                Looking at Jisun who wasn’t really shocked like the first time, the ghost boy speaks out. “You’re not afraid anymore?”

                “Not yet.. now tell me who are you? What are you?” Aiming the ghost boy with the thick book, Jisun asked him.  Fear did grip her heart. But curiosity topped it.

                “My name is Young Saeng. And I know you so well.” The ghost boy said out his name. Jisun feels like she heard that name before. But she failed to recall back.

                “What Young Saeng? Lee Young Saeng? Kim Young Saeng? Park Young Saeng?” Jisun asked him in curiosity.       

                “I can’t tell you. Guess yourself.”

                Jisun’s eyes got wider. She thought harder, trying to reopen the files in her mind to search the ghost boy’s name. How would she know him when it’s clearly shown that this Young Saeng is actually a ghost.

                “Did I bumped to you or accidentally hurt you to death anywhere before? So you got mad at me and trying to settle down this problem like gentlemen because I’m a girl?”

                Young Saeng chuckled. That adds the oddness to Jisun’s eyes. But, he chuckles no more when he suddenly fell on the floor, grabbing his chest like he’s in pain.

                “Hey, you’re alright?” Jisun saw him struggling on the floor. She looked around, but then she spotted the librarian was looking at Young Saeng. No expression shown on her face, but Jisun was sure she’s looking at Young Saeng.

                Suddenly Jisun’s sight became blur. And went to pitch dark.