chap 23

Summer Ghost Boy

Although she just ate her dinner two hours before, Jisun still felt hungry. So, she took a light supper at 11.30 pm. Then,  Jisun climbed back to her bed and opened the book again. Looking at the post-it-notes which were too much on her wall, she took them all off the wall, and threw them away. Decided to start over, she took a piece of white paper and held a pen. She took a deep breath, and then her mind and started to think about the anagram.

                But, no matter how hard she tried to concentrate, she failed. Because her room was so hot that night. She took a glance at her air-conditioner, and she found out it wasn’t . “Ah.. broken again?”

                She got off her bed and stepped lazily towards her air-con. She pressed the power button, but nothing came out, not even a beep of sound. “Argh why tonight! It’s so hot!”

                Quickly, she gathered all her stuffs and the book, and then she went downstairs. As she stepped into the kitchen where her parents just installed a new air-cond, she heard a chaotic screams coming from the living room. Intrigued, she put her stuffs on the kitchen counter, and went to the living room.

                “Ah, Jisun ah.. we’re too loud?” Hyungjun who was sitting the closest to the tv screen greeted Jisun who was checking them out. There were also Hyun Joong and Kyu Jong. All of them were munching snacks while watching the tv.

                “I guess so.. why were you here? And where’s mom and dad?” Jisun asked. Then, she looked at the tv screen which were displaying the soccer game. No wonder they were so loud.

                “Mom and dad were out of town coz there’s emergency visit to their old friend there, and will be back tomorrow morning. So I invited them to sleep here and watch this game. You want to join?” Jungmin invited her, although it’s obvious that Jisun is a girl who’ll totally give a NO to soccer.

                “No.. I’ll be in the kitchen to solve the anagram. My air-cond is broken. Well then, watch but please lower your voice, okay?” Then Jisun left to the kitchen.

                A little annoyed that he can’t scream to the top of his lung, Jungmin replied to her sister,  “Alright.. got it..”

                Back to her main task. She sat on the chair and relaxed her body. Then she opened her note book with the list of possible answer to the anagram.

               “Hmm.. there’s possibility that ‘Young Saeng’ words may be in this anagram. But, what’s the rest?” Biting her pencil, she stared at the words. She knew that she still got two days, but after her encounter with Yesun this morning made her feel insecure. What if it’s true that tomorrow Young Saeng will no longer exist? However, she’s hoping badly that her hunches were all wrong.

                She threw her glances to the living room, which she can see clearly as the kitchen was just opposite to the living room. And she looked at her brother, Jungmin who was cheering for the soccer game. Although that’s what Jungmin said just now, but Jisun knew he’s actually worried about her. He also took heed of what ghost Yesun just said. That’s why he gathered everyone tonight here. Smiling at how concerned his brother is, she turned back to her list of answers and start to think back.

                But to think deeply with voices from the soccer fans wasn’t easy. Distracted, Jisun covered her ears. But she can clearly hear Hyun Joong oppa’s voice.

                “This is it! This is it!” Hyun Joong said out loud. Perhaps the ball is reaching the goal, Jisun guessed.

                Suddenly, her mind filled up with the words Hyun Joong just said. “This is it. This is.. This is..” Felt like she just got a big hint, she quickly scribbled the word ‘This is’ under the anagram.

                “This is Young Saeng. M H P E L E… then these letters.. if they’re arranged..” She crossed out the letters and tried to write the sentence. But then there’s a coma left. Then everything made sense. She put the come in the middle of the sentence she just made, and then she smiled.

                She didn’t read it first, but she quickly called for her brother and the others to come. Excitedly, she shouted, “Hey, I found it!! It said, “This is Young Saeng, help me.”!!”

                The moment she said the answer to the sentence, suddenly her body paralyzed, and she collapsed to the floor. Seemed like she lost grab of herself, she can’t move her own hands. Breathing had been harder for her after she fell down. Her sight darkened, and she could barely hear her brother calling out for her. Then everything went blank. And she can’t hear a thing.