chap 24

Summer Ghost Boy

She thought she was dead, as her surrounding was totally dark. She can move her body but she can’t see anything, or hear anything. Like a blind person, she reached out her hands for anything she could hold on to, but there was totally nothing. Suddenly, it brightened. The surrounding got clearer, and Jisun can finally see where she was standing.

                She’s standing in front of her school gate. There, she can see the big shady tree which was situated at the small park on the left of the school. “What is this.. When was this?” She was puzzled because that time it’s summer break, but the school was crowded with students who just finished their school session.

                She took a look at herself, and found out she’s wearing her school uniform. “When did I wear this?” She touched her uniform, and it was real. Then she looked again to the big tree. There, she saw Young Saeng. Wearing the school uniform like her, like he usually wore when he’s appearing in front of Jisun.

                He was holding a blue envelope in his right hand. Jisun was about to call him, but she hesitated. Then she decided to just watch what he’s up to. He looked left and right, and then to the envelope he’s holding. Seemed like he’s indecisive, he sat down on the bench while holding onto the envelope firmly. In a while, he coughed. Seemed like his throat wasn’t in good condition.

                Then, Jisun saw Kyu Jong came out from the school gate. “And now what he’s doing here? Weren’t they were watching soccer just now?” Jisun wondered upon Kyu Jong’s appearance.

                “Hey hyung.. why did you want to meet me?” Kyu Jong talked to Young Saeng. And that added more oddities into Jisun’s mind. Kyu Jong knows Young Saeng?

                Young Saeng saw Kyu Jong’s approaching, then he stood up. “Yah can you help me?”

                Kyu Jong looked at him, then he smiled as he saw the blue envelope in Young Saeng’s hand. “Hey.. you still didn’t give it to her?” Kyu Jong wanted to take the envelope, but Young Saeng resisted.

                “I asked Jungmin to give this to her, but he said he won’t help. He said even himself can’t understand his sister. Argh..” Young Saeng sighed. Hearing them talking about Jungmin’s sister, Jisun’s pretty sure that girl was her. But she’s still guessing.

                Then she continued to listen to Kyu Jong’s response. “Hey.. Jisun isn’t that hard-to-get. Jungmin’s just teasing you. You should man up and confess.” Kyu Jong patted his back. “You really like Jisun, didn’t you, hyung?”

                Shyly, he leered at Kyu Jong, then he nodded a little. Jisun who heard it was totally shocked. At that moment, her blocked mind was suddenly unlocked. The hidden memories about Young Saeng in her mind were suddenly opened up. Seemed like the key has just been found, in unlock everything in her mind about Young Saeng.

                With that clear mind, she’s looking at Young Saeng differently. Heo Young Saeng, is the senior she admired the most. Kyu Jong’s best friend, which means he’s also her brother’s best friend. She has been having crushes over him for a long time. But she never expected, Young Saeng also liked him.

                And she totally remembered that day. It was a month ago when Kyu Jong called for her to come to that big tree after school ended the next day.  Kyu Jong said there’s someone who wanted to meet her. And actually, she waited there the next day until evening for that person to come. But nobody came. She never thought it was actually Young Saeng who wanted to meet her.

                “I’m graduating this year. So I need to confess to her immediately before my exam starts.” Young Saeng that stood up. He hesitated for a moment, but then he put the blue envelope in a box, and climbed the bench to put it in the bird house on the tree.  “So, Kyu Jong ah. Help me call for her. I need to meet her tomorrow. Okay?”

                Kyu Jong hesitated to agree, because he wanted to . “Alright.. I will. But, you need to do me a favor.”

                “What?”

                “Find this book for me. ‘Magic in You.’. I’ve been searching for the first book, ‘Magic Tricks’ But it wasn’t here. I heard they said the second book was at the public library here. So, can you find it for me? I’ll call Jisun to come down here tomorrow. Deal?” Kyu Jong said.

                “Okay.. okay.. anything you want, Mr. Magic..” Young Saeng agreed. Then he coughed again.

                “Hey, your voice.. and you’re coughing a lot. You’re okay hyung?” Kyu Jong was concerned upon hearing him coughing.

                “Yeah I’m fine.” Young Saeng replied.

               But that just gave hints to Jisun.  Young Saeng has asthma. Jisun can finally understand what the ghost Yesun said about the dying soul. Young Saeng was about to get his asthma later. Jisun who was standing just in front of them can’t call out for them because they clearly can’t see Jisun. So, it’s no use to scream out. The one who's invisible and transparent right now isn't Young Saeng, but Jisun.