chap 18

Summer Ghost Boy

 

After the simple but delicious lunch, Jungmin and Hyung Jun took the task to wash the dishes. The tired chef Hyun Joong took a rest at the couch while Kyu Jong cleans the dining table.

                “Ah, Jisun ah. Actually I came over to give you the book. I almost forgot about it.” Quickly, he reached for his bag at the couch where Hyun Joong’s sitting. But his please-lend-me-my-bag gesture didn’t gave Hyun Joong any response. Because he slept already.

                Jisun who saw it stood up and took Kyu Jong’s bag. “Here.” She handed the bag

                “Thanks..” He took out the book out. Opening it, he flipped to the page where the message was written. “We have no idea how to dechipher this riddle. So, you’re the one with the smart thoughts left. Here.” He gave her the book.

                She read the ‘sheep’ word. “What? This book is playing with us? Why didn’t he wrote ‘dog’ or ‘bird’?” She was annoyed at the words she didn’t understand at all.

                “He can be saved just if you understand this line. Please? Take your time and think deep. I don’t want to be haunted by this ghost boy later..” Kyu Jong begged her.

                “Ah.. I’m the only smarthead left.. ain’t I? I’ll try..” She closed the book, and held onto it.

                Kyu Jong smiled. “Ah! I hope you’d find it out. By the way, I’m still wondering about the footprints..” He looked at the clean floor which was where the footprints appeared just now.

                Jisun looked at his puzzled face, but she just giggled. “Ah.. just let that pass..”

***

“Kyu Jong ah! Kyu Jong ahhh!!!” Kyu Jong’s nuna screamed at the top of her lungs, calling for Kyu Jong to come into her room. Kyu Jong who was just starting to eat his late dinner choked upon the loud scream. He coughed, and then he quickly went upstairs. 

              “What?” Kyu Jong asked his sister, while hitting his chest as he could barely swallow the rice he was eating just now.

                His nuna pointed on the wall by her table. “What.. is this?”

                Kyu Jong looked at the wall. A palm-size big pink teddy bear sticker was applied on it. Actually, it was to cover the scribbles that Yesun did this morning. Startled and stuttering, Kyu Jong spoke up. “Er..  that’s.. my gift for you!” He smiled, forcedly. That ridiculous idea just came across his mind.

                But his nuna’s face didn’t change. “What gift? Don’t you know I hate pink?”

                “What to do? There’s a friend of mine that admires you. He wanted me to put this sticker on your wall. So, I put it there so you can see it every time you’re doing your work. Hee..” Kyu Jong naturally lied to convince his nuna. His nuna’s face changed upon hearing him mentioned the admirer.

                “Oh.. crazy.. I’m taking this off.” She tried to peel it.

                But Kyu Jong quickly took her hands, forbidding her to peel it or another surprise will make her kill him. “No you can’t!” He shouted, which made his nuna felt weirder. “I mean.. The paint on the wall will come off along as well. And it would look hideous than this. I tried, but can’t. So, that’s it.”

                His nuna gave him an icy look. “Oh.. Why.. Alright alright! I’ll let that pass this time. If you did it  again, I’ll put pink wallpaper in your whole room! Now get out. Oh, I need to cover this..”

              Smiling that his plan succeeded, he walked out of the room and went downstairs to continue his dinner. “Ah.. sorry, nuna. You’d kill me if you found out what’s written beneath it.” Then he shoved in a spoonful of rice into his mouth.

 

After a peace dinner without any more screaming from his nuna, he tidy up the kitchen and went into his room. He gave the book to Jisun already, so he got nothing to do. Although, the assignments which were the same that Jisun need to do as they’re classmates, were piling on top of his desk, he just didn’t find the mood to finish them up yet.

                Touching his full belly, he lied down on his bed to rest. That day has been so tiring for him. Slowly, his eyelids got heavier. The quiet room with the cool air from the air-con, really made him felt so relaxed. Only the sound of the ticking clock was heard. But that doesn’t bother him much, as he’s feeling so sleepy. 

                But it didn’t last long. His nuna suddenly stormed into his room while he’s almost flying to his dreamland.But she didn’t come for Kyu Jong. She went straightly to the window, opened it and looked out.

                “Oh I’m getting crazy.. now where are you?” She looked outside. But the dark surrounding caused her who is short-sighted to not being able to see properly.

                Startled, Kyu Jong scratched his arms. “What’s the matter, nuna? I almost fall asleep..”

                “There’s someone throwing pebbles at my window. I was doing my work, and it really disturbed me. I wonder if it’s the kids who were playing. You didn’t have them on your window?” She asked him.

              “Nope.” Kyu Jong shook his head. Then, he went to his nuna’s room and looked out the window. He looked around, but there was nobody to be seen on the dark. But then he noticed someone’s hiding behind the small tree across the road on front of their house. A girl. And she’s waving at him. He tried to focus, and then he figured out who she was. It’s Yesun.

                “You see anyone?” His nuna suddenly came from behind.

                “Ah.. No. Um, I’ll go down there and look out who was doing that.” Kyu Jong told her.

                “Eyy.. it’s 10 pm already. It’s okay..” His nuna was worried when he initiated to find out who was knocking her window in that dark night.

                “I want to go buy some snacks anyway. I’ll be going!” He smiled at his nuna, and went out to find Yesun. As soon as he stepped out of the door, Yesun appeared in front of him. That actually freaked him out.

                “Yah! You shocked me!” Kyu Jong was shocked, coz he thought she was under the tree just now.

                “I’m sorry..” Yesun apologized for surprising him.

                Kyu Jong took a close look at her. “You.. are the ghost.. or it’s just you?” In fear, he asked with curiosity.

                Yesun looked at him. “I am Yesun. And that’s what I want to talk about right now.”