chap 13

Summer Ghost Boy

 

Jungmin took her sister while Kyu Jong took the unconscious Yesun. “I’ll take her home first. My sister can take care of her for tonight.” Kyu Jong told Jungmin.

                “Well then, I’ll go first. I need to bring Jisun home quickly before our parents are home. I don’t want them to think their daughter was attempting suicide with this bruises.

                As Jungmin left first, Kyu Jong carefully put Yesun on his back and starts to walk home. Then he noticed Young Saeng by his side.

                “I thought you left already.”

                “Nope.. I’m sorry for giving so much trouble to you..” Young Saeng apologized.

                “It’s okay. You must have a reason to do these all.” Kyu Jong smiled. Then he remembered about the book, with the weird lemon-writing. “Ah, by the way, why you use lemon juice on the book? I only followed your words to use the lemon juice to the ghost. But the book?”

                Young Saeng didn’t know from where should he start. After a moment of hesitate, finally he answered him. “The ghost is afraid of lemon juice. I noticed this as she’ll be like getting allergy each time the library staffs gave her lemonade. That’s the result after I observed her for a month. And the book, I also know the old trick to make invisible ink. So I used it to give message to people who read it. Coincidentally, it uses lemon. And the ghost is allergy to it. That’s why the ghost can never touch this book though it’s situated just in the library. I used other people’s body to do the tricks..”

                “Ah..” Kyu Jong nodded to his long explanation. “But.. I can’t understand the sentence you wrote. Sheep..” Kyu Jong tried to remember back the weird sentence, while balancing his body which is carrying Yesun at his back.

                “That.. I can’t tell you. That’s the only way to get me back to this world as a human.  That’s why you must decipher the meaning yourself.”

                Amazed, Kyu Jong looked at him. “I didn’t know such short and weird sentence can actually save you.”

                Young Saeng smiled. “You’d know why..” Then he disappeared.

                Only then Kyu Jong realized he’s talking to a ghost, of which anyone else wouldn’t see. They’d probably see him talking to himself. But then he noticed he’s carrying Yesun. “Lucklily I’m carrying you.. people won’t say I’m crazy..”

***

“Kyu Jong ah, I’m going out for work now!” Kyu Jong’s nuna screamed from downstairs to make sure he heard her.

               Kyu Jong who was brushing his teeth quickly ran to the staircase and went down. With the toothbrush in his mouth, he asked her, “What about her?”

                “Well.. from now on you take care of her. I’ve cooked the breakfast. Go and look for her, she’s in my room.” With that, she quickly wears her shoes and off to work.

                “What..” Holding his toothbrush, he went back upstairs. After he finished washing up, he went to her nuna’s room. He opened the door slowly. “Hey, you woke up already?”           

                Yesun who was sitting on the bed was a bit surprised by Kyu Jong’s presence. “I.. I’ so sorry that I’ve burdened you so much.” She bowed to apologized.

                “No, it’s okay. You went through a lot too I guess.”

                “Ah.. about that.. but, what time is it now?” Yesun asked him.

                Kyu Jong looked at his phone. “9.50 am.. ah! You haven’t eat yet, right? I’ll go downstairs to prepare your meal first, okay?”

                But Yesun quickly grabbed his hand. “No, er.. actually I’m not hungry..”

                Kyu Jong was startled, but then he smiled at her. “You must eat!” Then he left the room and quickly went to the kitchen. “What did nuna cooked?”

                He went to the kitchen counter and opened the food cover. There’s already a tray of food, organized by his nuna for Yesun. When he lift the tray, a note was discovered.

                ‘My dongsaeng.. Fighting! Go get the girl!’

                “Cheh..” Kyu Jong threw away the note his nuna wrote. “What did she thought?” Mumbling, he searched for mug and made a cup of coffee. Finished, he carefully took the tray upstairs, and to his nuna’s room.

                “Yesun shi, here’s your breakfast..” He gently pushed the door with his back as his hands are full. As he turned around, he found out the room was empty.

                “Yesun shi?” He put the tray down and went to check the bathroom. It was also empty. “She couldn’t be downstairs.. the staircase is just next to the kitchen. I should have heard if she went down.”

                Then he noticed the window was opened. “I thought nuna hates to open her room’s window..” It’s because her work table is just next to the window, so her stuffs – mostly papers – will scatter blown by wind if she open the window.

                He went to the window to close it back, before his nuna accused him for scattering her stuffs on the table. Then he saw scribbles on the wall.

                “Help me – Yesun”

                “What is this.. oh crap!” He looked back at the window. “Did the ghost came back?”