chap 26

Summer Ghost Boy

“Don’t cry.” A voice soothed her from behind. She turned back, and she saw Young Saeng.

                “Oppa!” She was shocked. “I can’t stop crying..” She wiped away her tears.

                “I’m sorry that you had to see this thing.” He apologized. Then he put his hand on Jisun’s cheeks.

                That twitched Jisun, because she can’t feel his touch at all. “Oppa.. I can’t feel your touch. Why are you invisible again? Why can’t I touch you again? I just solved the anagram, and it’s clearly two days left before your 49 days end. Why?” Jisun asked him. Her hands tried to touch him, but she can’t touc any part of his body.

                “I.. used up my energy for two days already.” Young Saeng told her. Then he faced down.

                “What do you mean?” Jisun asked. Her heart was pounding.

                “Everything I did; put the Magic Trick’s bookmark on your room floor, write on the book with lemon juice, make Hyung Jun got headache when you guys were watching movie, held your hands, hugged you when you were strangled by the ghost, scribbled an apology note on your book, and made those footsteps on the floury floor. All of that, costs a lot of energy for me as a ghost. They took up two days.” Young explained.

                “You mean, you knew it already, but you’re still doing it? Why?”

                “I know after a month, there’s less chances I’ll be able to live again. That’s why, at least I need to make you guys remember me. So my life in this world won’t be useless.” Young Saeng finally unveiled the reasons for everything he did.

                Jisun just stared at him. She knew she can’t do anything. “But you can’t be like this! What about Yesun? She’s innocently being dragged into this without her will. And.. and.. I wanted to live with you. Why can’t you fight for it?” Jisun spoke out. More tears ran down her cheek.

                Young Saeng’s eyes started to get teary too when he saw Jisun cried. “I’m sorry. Please, live well. Remember me as a guy who did love you.” Slowly, he started to disappear, from his hands.

                Startled, Jisun watched him disappearing. “No.. oppa.. please don’t go..”

***

“No!!” Jisun shouted out loud. Then she realized she’s being surrounded by her brother, Kyu Jong, Hyung Jun and Hyun Joong. Her face felt hot as tears kept rolling down. Jungmin helped her to sit down.

                “Jungmin oppa. He’s Young Saeng.. I just found out about it..” Jisun held Jungmin’s hands and wanted to explain everything.

                “We know him already. So save your energy and stop talking. You looked exhausted.” Jungmin held her shoulder, which calmed her down a bit.

                “The moment you shouted for us, you collapsed and fell down. That moment too, the memories about Young Saeng appeared in our mind. Finally, we realized he’s actually our best friend too. We clearly remember him now. But, you was still unconscious, and that’s what worries us the most.” Hyun Joong said to her.

                Jisun looked around, and saw the wall clock. The needles showed 12.05 am. “Oh no..” She stood up, and ran towards the door. Jungmin quickly ran for her, and he managed to grab her hand before she pulled the door knob.

                “Where are you going? It’s midnight!” Jungmin said.

                “I need to go somewhere. Oppa please, let me go.” With her puffy face as result of crying too much, she begged to her brither.

                “Where?”

                “To the big tree at the park next to our school, isn’t it?” Kyu Jong said, which made Jisun stopped struggling for her brother to let go her hand. “Jungmin ah, just let her go. I know what she wanted to find there.” Slowly Jungmin released his grab. Jisun took the chance and quickly pulled the door knob and went out.

                “But t’s midnight!” Jungmin told him.

                “Let’s follow her from behind.”

 

***

Jisun arrived at the big tree. Quickly, she climbed the bench and tried to reach for the bird house. But, she wasn’t tall enough to reach for it. “Oh please.. I need to take it..!”

                “Can’t you wait for us?” Suddenly her brother came. Along with the other three, they came. Jungmin stepped on the bench and with his long body he easily got a grab onto the box inside the bird house. Then, he gave it to her.

                Jisun sat down and opened the box. There’s the blue envelope she just saw in her vision. Slowly, she tore the end of the envelope, and took out the letter inside. Well-written, that’s the letter from Young Saeng for her.

       Hello, this is Young Saeng. I’m sure you know me already. Actually I noticed at how your eyes were looking at me each time we gathered together as five. With that smiles of yours, you attracted me towards you. As days pass, my heart was longing for you even more. Going to your house doing homeworks was just an excuse. Because, I love to see you shyly approached me and serves us drinks. I know this is too sudden, but will you be my girlfriend?

      I’m afraid that as you grow up being more beautiful and cuter, other people will take you away from my sight. So I’m taking this first huge step to confess to you. Because of my own shy personality, I might not be able to say these words to you from my own mouth, so that’s why I’m writing this letter. Take your time to answer. I’ll wait no matter when. I’ll be sure to see you answering this later.

                “I’ll be sure to see you answering this later.” Jisun read out the last line. And that hurts her even more because she can never see him again to answer that question. “You’re a liar.. Young Saeng oppa.. how am I going to answer this..!” Then, she cried again.

                Jungmin sat next to her and consoled her by hugging her tightly. “Hey what are you saying.. we solved that anagram already, didn’t we? There’s two days left. He’ll appear tomorrow.” Jungmin soothed her.

                “No. He won’t. He used up all his energy before I said out the answer for the anagram. And right now it has passed 12.00 am. He’s disappeared already. Forever.” She said, in tears.

                Everyone was shocked to hear that. “What about Yesun?” Kyu Jong asked her. Everyone also waited for her to reply.

                “Her life will end in two days. And I feel bad I can’t help her..” Jisun replied to him.