When White Turns Black

My Amajjing In-Laws

“Yah…where’s the outcast and the nerd? I want to play already”, Sulli crossed her arms in annoyance.


“Sul, stop being a brat”, Victoria reprimanded on behalf of her sister and Yoona only to have the teenager shrug indifferently.


Sulli boringly began swimming her fifth lap, making sure to dodge the Khuntoria couple who were flirting by splashing water all over each other. In fact, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves despite YoonHyun’s absence; Mr. Horvejkul was pigging out at the buffet table while Yonghwa played the role of a good host and tended to him, diligently listening to his dull doctoral adventures and occasionally laughing at his God-awful jokes. Hyoyeon was on her phone once again and TaeNy was in the nearby Jacuzzi basking in their own comfortable world.


“She mentioned something about buying a bathing suit. I guess she changed her mind about wanting to swim”, Yonghwa informed when he overheard Sulli and looking for any excuse to halt Mr. Horvejkul’s torturous stories, he eagerly went over to the swimming pool to join them.


Speaking of the devils, Seohyun suddenly walked in, immediately attracting everyone’s attention with her rarely-seen beach body figure despite the white cloth covering her top. But what had everyone so shocked was the person closely following her, Yoona, who was strutting in with her y red two-piece, looking and behaving very much like a model. Even with bottoms on, Yoona oozed hotness and although it was obvious that she possessed natural beauty like her girlfriend, Seohyun, nobody really thought she could look…well, y…


Who would’ve thought the choding could look like such a hot devil?


The scene was worthy of a spontaneous drink-spitting moment.


Both Khuntoria immediately stopped in their tracks along with the entire room---Yonghwa included. Nearby, Hyoyeon accidently let her phone slip from her hands, slightly hanging open all the while, leaving the ‘Hello? HyoHunnie~? You there?’ coming from her speaker phone mostly unheard. Simultaneously, a piece of BBQ sauce fell off the side of Mr. Horvejkul’s mouth as they both watched the stunning youth walk around the pool before dipping in with Seohyun. TaeNy ceased their covert whispering as Tiffany broke it by excitedly clapping her hands and whispering, “Seobaby caught such a hot babe!” while Taeyeon could only frown at her wife’s candor.


But it seems that Yoona’s transformation had the most profound impact on a certain teenager. Sulli, who usually went on with her day with a bored expression now had the look of shock; almost as if she’d just hit a pole---or rather more appropriately, had been hit by one of cupid’s arrows.


****


“Alright guys! We’re dividing up in two teams!”, Taeyeon announced once everybody was gathered in Yonghwa’s large indoor pool. Just outside, the rain sputtered violently on the clear glass walls although nobody paid any mind to the storm; they only looked forward to the pool basketball showdown.


“Everyone, pick a partner!”


And like magnets, the couples immediately paired up, leaving Mr. Horvejkul with Yonghwa and Sulli with her aunt Hyoyeon.


Clearly divided in twos, Taeyeon announced, “We’ll be dividing the teams into two: Winner team vs. Loser team. You’ll be playing rock, paper, and scissors with your current partner and the results will determine which team you’re on”


A series of groans soon followed as it meant their eventual separation from their respective partners. Victoria made sure to voice her opinion, “What!? You tricked us, appa!”


“What are you complaining about? I’m not going to be with your mother either”, Taeyeon said, motioning her head towards Tiffany beside her.


“Yeah but you’ve been with her since like the Stone Age. I’m sure you can’t wait to get rid of her the moment an opportunity presents itself”


“Well…”, Taeyeon began until she was cut off by the sudden but all too familiar feeling of daggers on her back.


“Excuse me?”, Tiffany hissed as she crossed her arms threateningly albeit playfully.


As the Kim-Hwangs continued their playful bickering, Seohyun wanders away from Yoona to approach Sulli.


“You okay, Sulli?”, Seohyun asked when she noticed her cousin’s unusual behavior. Sulli was anything but fidgety.


Had Sulli’s mother been there to witness it, she would’ve immediately known that Sulli was infatuated with someone by the way she blushed but distanced herself away from the object of her affection; after all, her appa had the same tendency.


“Maybe she’s sick like me?”, Yoona waded over when she overheard, pressing a palm on Sulli’s forehead and unknowingly causing the teen’s temperature to skyrocket exponentially before the latter frantically retreated to a corner of the pool.


Yoona grimaced at the action before turning to Seohyun.


“Wow, she’s hot. Sulli is definitely sick”, Yoona told her girlfriend while Sulli could only gulp at their once close proximity.


Far away, all she heard Yoona say was, “Hot” and “Sulli”, causing her to assume all sorts of things. Nonetheless, Sulli willed herself to approach the others as she went against her Aunt to determine her placement, mentally praying she doesn’t get placed in the same team as Yoona.


Sulli vs. Hyoyeon
Winner: Hyoyeon, Loser: Sulli

Taeyeon vs. Tiffany
Winner: Taeyeon, Loser: Tiffany

Victoria vs. Nichkhun
Winner: Nichkhun, Loser: Victoria

Mr. Horvejkul vs. Yonghwa
Winner: Mr. Horvejkul, Loser: Yonghwa


Now their turn, Yoonhyun faced each other, ready for their upcoming showdown. A smirk could be seen on both as their inner competitive drive kicked in as this would mark the first time they’ve ever gone against each other. Seohyun was determined on winning against her headstrong girlfriend.


With a fist raised in the air ready to make a move, Yoona made sure to mouth ‘pick paper!’ to Seohyun before swiftly bringing down her hand. Confused and ultimately assuming her girlfriend was trying to trick her, Seohyun did the same a second later, also revealing her move: Scissor.


She looked across at Yoona whose hand was still balled together: Rock.


Seohyun furrowed her eyebrows.


She lost.


“You tricked me using reverse psychology!”, Seohyun accused.


Yoona could only slap her palm onto her own forehead in disbelief.


Just as Seohyun was determined to win, Yoona was determined to lose; after all, that would mean Seohyun’s placement in Taeyeon’s team, not Yonghwa’s.


“I wanted you to win!”, Yoona hissed back in a quiet whisper.


“Liar”, Seohyun pouted to Yoona before joining the ‘Loser’ team on the other side of the pool, Yonghwa eagerly motioning her over while Yoona her teeth in distaste.


------------------------------------------------------------




Yonghwa's Mansion: Indoor pool
Event 2: Pool Basketball

Winning Team: Yoona, Taeyeon, Mr. H, Nichkhun, Hyoyeon
Vs.
Losing Team: Seohyun, Tiffany, Yonghwa, Victoria, Sulli





As much as Yoona wanted to blame her poor performance on her instinctive need to go easy on her girlfriend, Yoona couldn’t shake the feeling of overpowering vertigo.


No matter how much she tried to focus, Yoona’s vision further blurred while she felt like she was breathing out steam.


“Can’t you even block Seohyun. You’re her height for Christ’s sake!”, Taeyeon half-yelled in frustration, letting her over competitive drive take over. After Yoona’s failure to keep Seohyun from scoring for the 3rd time, Taeyeon just had to say something.


Yoona tried to shake away the feeling of unbearable dizziness, desperately blinking her vision back into focus to no avail. Yoona was determined to show Seohyun as well as the family that she was physically better than Yonghwa; both aesthetically and athletically. It would be harder to prove she was athletically superior to him but with enough determination, she knows she can do it.


At the sight of YongSeo closely huddled together going over strategies, her determination soon welled, temporarily overpowering her illness.


“I’ll block Yonghwa then. Tell Nichkhun to cover Seo instead while you block your wife”, Yoona tells her in finality if not aggressively, slightly surprising Taeyeon.


But at the moment Taeyeon was only concerned about winning, not petty manners. “Alright then; Yoona on Yonghwa. Mr. H, make sure to keep Sulli at bay; the girl can shoot far. I got Tiffany”, Taeyeon complies, and added the last part as she knew her wife would be the brains of the operation on the other team.


Walking away to meet her main rival, Taeyeon waded towards Tiffany ready to block her while the latter just smiled.


“Hey shorty”, Tiffany teased.


Taeyeon ignored her, knowing full well that Tiffany was just trying to egg her on.


“What’s this? I thought Hyoyeon was blocking me? You better be as gracefully aggressive as your sister to stop me~”, Tiffany further teased, knowing how serious her wife can get and how easily irritable she is when in ‘game-mode’.


She too often sees it in their daughter, Seohyun as well---that over competitive drive that conquers all. That’s why the two accomplished so much; they were driven---too driven at times. But Tiffany could only smile wider in pride although Taeyeon took it as a mocking move by her wife.
“You just watch, wifey~”, Taeyeon smirked with confidence while Tiffany only winked; “You know I will. Very closely~”, TIffany said, finally ending TaeNy’s romantic trash-talk.


On the other side, Yoona placed herself next to Yonghwa, fire in her eyes caused by a mixture of determination, spite and illness as she almost did feel like her eyeballs were on fire.


Soon after the game began, Yonghwa effectively bypassed every single one of Yoona’s blocks (not an easy feat since Yoona was just as athletically gifted) and ultimately scoring after a 3 minute match.


Taeyeon threw her hands up in irritation, “Yoona, BLOCK”


“Oh calm down, you sore loser”, Hyoyeon retorted, splashing some water on Taeyeon to cool her down.


Taeyeon closed her eyes, wiping the water away from her face in a dangerously slow manner before taking in a heavy breath.


“Splash water on me again…”, Taeyeon warned in calm rage towards Hyoyeon’s direction.


Successfully calming her sister down, Hyoyeon put her thumbs up in approval, “That’s better”. Having dealt with Taeyeon all her life, she along with Sunny we’re more than well prepared for her usual bout of crankiness.


“Don’t worry about her. She gets like that. You’ll get used to it”, Yonghwa whispered to Yoona as he tried to assuage her only to have it backfire as Yoona felt more irritated. It’s as if Yonghwa was rubbing it in her face that he’d been part of the family longer than she was.


Yoona huffed and puffed, both out of frustration and exhaustion. Yonghwa was definitely working her; even if she wasn’t sick, she’d still have a hard time keeping up with him.


She watched as Yonghwa swam away to high five Seohyun for a job well-done while Yoona could only glare from afar.


“Seroro, did you see that shot?!”


“I did; good job Yong!”



Seroro…


Yong…

…Yong.

They have nicknames… Well isn’t that ing cute…




Yoona thought bitterly as she continued to glare at the two.


“Nice try though, Yooma! You almost had me. Just extend your arm further in the air and you’re good to go!”, Yonghwa beamed from the other side of the pool.
“It’s Yoona, Yonghwa”, Seohyun corrected through furrowed eyebrows.


“What’s that Hyun?”, Yonghwa leaned closer to hear her.


“Her name is Yoona, not Yooma”, Seohyun repeated louder, a hint of irritation in her tone. And Yonghwa managed to pick up her subtle cue just as well as Yoona could since he stayed quiet.


It further infuriated Yoona; how he knew Seohyun just as much as she did…if not more.


It can’t be helped…she had to use her ‘ace’ if she wanted to win against him.


-----------------------------------------------------------------




Last quarter: Time out




Making sure she looked her best, Yoona swum across on the other side, passing Yonghwa who eyed her questionably. But after the initial bout of curiosity, he soon turned his attention back to his teammates, most likely to discuss strategies on how to break the tie between the two teams.


“Sulli”, Yoona beckoned the young girl to her.


Hesitantly looking around, Sulli finally slipped away from her teammates to meet her.


“Yeah, you need something, unnie?”, Sulli said, avoiding her gaze and trying to act like her usual self by crossing her arms in front of her, not out of indifference but rather, the sudden feeling of vulnerability.


Unnie.


Yoona would’ve been confused at Sulli’s sudden respect and casually waved off the unusual behavior as nothing more than the typical teenage bipolar tendency had she not paid attention to the subtle physical cues.


But Yoona noticed them. How Sulli would immediately look away blushing when Yoona caught her gaze mid game. She knew what that meant. It took her back to her high school days when the boys followed her around like a pack of love struck hyenas.


Thankfully, having spent almost a year with the best (or maybe the worse) emotionally-restrained Kim-Hwang gave Yoona the acquired ability to read Sulli as if she’d actually known the girl for years especially since all Kim-Hwangs seem to possess that withdrawn personality of Seohyun’s. And having had the most stubborn Kim-Hwang successfully fall for her, she was more than sure she had at the very least bent the younger Kim-Hwang as well.


“Sulli you want to make the game more interesting?”, Yoona smiled at her, innocence and mischief melting together so harmoniously in her tone.


Sulli’s ears perked up at Yoona’s sudden attention towards her as well the possibly devious plan, uncrossing her arms and leaning closer to denote her interest.


“Interesting? I’m always up for ‘interesting’”, Sulli smirked, looking around covertly to see if anyone had noticed them; they haven’t.


“Come here. I have a plan”


Sulli leaned closer as Yoona whispered her plan as Sulli could only grin in approval.


“I got it”, she said when Yoona pulled away, Cheshire grin plastered across both faces.


Although Sulli had the tendency to cause trouble, she always did so alone. This time, she made an exception…especially since it was Yoona requesting it.


As both Sulli and Yoona returned to their respective teams, Sulli watched in the corner of her eyes as Seohyun hesitantly pouted towards Yoona’s direction, obviously unpleased by their distance.


And that’s how Sulli knew Seohyun was fond of Yoona; she knew her cousin hated displaying such sweet gestures as she deemed them unnecessary---a weakness, even.


Sulli sighed. If only Yoona was younger and didn’t have Seohyun…better yet, Sulli unconsciously wished that Yoona had a younger sibling.



*****


It’s the last quarter with the two teams tied, just a minute or two left in the clock.


Sulli had the ball, ready to win with her signature 3 pointer shot. And everyone knew it. The opposing team scrambled to get her but just as she was about to throw the winning shot in, a second glance at Yoona signaled her that it was time.


“Oops!”, Sulli feigned disappointment when the ball found itself suddenly wrapped around Yoona’s hands instead of the basket. Surprisingly, Sulli had missed an easy shot. And Yonghwa, not missing a beat, was already there ready to make up for her ‘mistake’.


He’d seen it coming. He knew what the two were trying to do.


In less than 3 seconds, the guy literally had Yoona surrounded much to the girl’s surprise especially with his larger build albeit lightning speed.


It was starting to annoy Yoona, how she couldn’t find any loopholes with this guy. No matter how much she tried to side step, duck, or fake pass; the guy had her covered. He was impenetrable.


Finally reaching her peak, Yoona backs into Yonghwa with all her might, successfully forcing the guy off her nonexistent nuts.


Ignoring the series of gasps that soon followed along with the man’s pained grunt, Yoona dashed to the basket concentrating only on the goal. Plagued with sudden tunnel vision, she shot…and scores.


“YEAH”, Yoona cheered, a fist raised in the air in triumph.


But everyone’s attention was elsewhere.


Confused, Yoona followed everyone’s eyes, leading her to Yonghwa, who stood, quite literally, in a pool of blood. She felt her stomach drop at the sight. Yoona had elbowed him square in the face.


“Yoona, what the hell? It’s just a game!”, Mr. H exclaimed as he inspected Yonghwa’s injury, blood coming out of his nose as he tried to stop it with his hands.


Everyone scrambled towards Yonghwa, leaving Yoona on the other side. Alone.


“Are you okay Yonghwa?”, Seohyun panicked, reaching him first before everyone bombarded the poor man with questions.


“What happened?”


“Why are you asking? We all saw it”


“Is it broken?”


“I-I’m fine Hyun. Everyone, It was just an accident”, he said through tightly shut eyes, breathing through his mouth to avoid any more spill.


Seohyun took her white shirt, putting it over Yonghwa’s nose to stop the bleeding, “Here”


Suddenly all of Yoona’s guilt began to transform into the familiar feeling of jealousy. She watched as her girlfriend tilted Yonghwa’s head back carefully, mindful of his possibly broken nose. The gentleness in which she tended to him…so intimate.


Something snapped within the usually cheery, bright-haired girl.


Without a backward glance, Yoona pulled herself out of the pool and walked away, but not before muttering a whisper just in case anybody was listening,





“I don’t feel well”




--------------------------------------------------------------



“Wait Yoona!”, Seohyun yelled as she continued to run towards her girlfriend’s disappearing figure, her voice echoing along the vast hallway.


Yoona briskly walked towards their room for a much needed cool-down and resting session as she was sure she’s reached her limit---both physically and emotionally. One more thing and she’ll explode. And the fact that Yoona was so dizzy didn’t help at all. She couldn’t walk nor think straight. That was jealousy wasn’t it? Not her headache?


Why was she even running away in the first place? A simple sorry would’ve sufficed.


Was she mad at Yonghwa? For what? Playing a game? No, she was definitely mad at Seohyun…for helping an injured individual who just happened to be her ex-fiance? Definitely not. And deep down, she knew the real reason she walked away; she was mad at herself. Yoona had let her jealousy and temper get the best of her. She balled her fist tighter at the thought.


Zoning everything out, she slams the door behind her, indifferent of whether Seohyun was even following or not. For once, she wished Seohyun had stayed at the pool and left her alone.


The sound of the door opening behind alerted her that Seohyun didn’t stay. Ignoring her girlfriend’s presence all together, Yoona began drying herself with a towel and taking off her clothes in a careless manner before putting on clothes although she still felt like she was freezing. Yes, that was stupid. Why did she go in the pool? Just so she can witness her girlfriend tending to her ex?


“Yoona, are you okay?”, Seohyun began hesitantly although genuinely concerned.


Yoona gave her a mili second glare as she thought, ‘Why don’t you check up on your boyfriend first?’ but stayed mum.


She continued to ignore Seohyun, making sure to slam random things around in hopes of alleviating her anger.


At the sight, Seohyun decided to leave her girlfriend alone, hoping the silence will cool her down. She began changing as well; throwing curious glances at her girlfriend who was determined to not even acknowledge her presence.


It was only when Yoona climbed in bed that Seohyun felt the need to warily approach her.


“Yoona…how are you feeling? Are you tired already?”, she says softly, leaning down to check on Yoona as she removed the blanket that covered her face.


Yoona just threw her an accusatory glare, both for disrupting her sleep and for that scene she unknowingly made with Yonghwa earlier.


‘I’m sick, I’m jealous and I’m poor’


“Do you even have to ask that!? Why do I have to spell everything out to you?”, Yoona hissed in a low tone, her voice cracking as a pool thick spit lodged itself in the back of , either out of spite or illness if not both.


Seohyun was taken aback at her hurtful frankness. She’s never seen this dark side of Yoona before; then again, the two had never fought over anything serious. So Seohyun dealt with it with patience, understanding, gentleness, and open mindedness as she suddenly felt like they’re now bordering that first major fight.


“So you’re sick. Let me help you then…”, she caressed Yoona’s forehead, something she knew Yoona drew comfort in.


But this time, she was rejected as her girlfriend yanked the blanket and faced away, “Just leave me alone”


Determined, Seohyun was relentless, “Yoona…talk to me…please?”, she nudged her shoulder gently.


“…”

“It was just an accident. You don’t need to feel guilty.”

“…”

“Yonghwa’s feeling better now…Mr. Horvejkul is tending to him as we speak”

“…”


Seohyun sighs at Yoona’s stubbornness.


“What can I do to make you feel better huh?”, she whispers softly.


At that, Yoona turned around to face Seohyun, an almost somber expression on her face.


Looking hopeful, Seohyun quickly added, “Do you need water? A massage? Food? …CPR?”


“You already know what I need. I need you”, Yoona said in a low voice, her eyes akin to those of a lost and sick puppy.


After overcoming her initial shock at the quick turn-around, Seohyun says, “…And I’m right here for you. So just tell me what you want already”, comforting her girlfriend with her touch all the white.


“I want you”


And before Seohyun could further question what she meant, she feels herself getting pulled down as Yoona gently wrapped her arms around her neck.


Seohyun could only dive deeper and deeper into her big brown eyes without the intention of ever coming back up for air.


Out of the many kisses they’ve shared, this one she would never forget.


Yoona had rarely, if ever, showed her vulnerabilities so openly. Although Yoona had never verbalized her thoughts, Seohyun knew the moment they locked lips. She could feel it.


Yoona needed assurance.


And whatever Yoona couldn’t say, she poured into that one passionate kiss.



‘I’m sorry’

‘I don’t like it here’

'I'm jealous'

‘Please don’t leave me…’



As a constant reminder of just how vulnerable the usually headstrong girl is, Seohyun would occasionally feel Yoona’s burning forehead when they’d accidentally press against each other. Her lips felt hot, and so did her tongue--- literally and figuratively---and she was sure they were sparks flying out of their mouths almost as if they haven’t kissed in a million years.


Soon, what she intended to be a chaste reassuring kiss turned into something more. All of a sudden, Seohyun feels the pull of the fingers tangled within her tousled hair as the tiny caresses on her lips turned into frantic and needy smacking.


Along with the love, she witnessed her darker side too: Yoona’s insecurities, her possessive nature, her jealousy, and even her anger. But what brought about this sudden feeling? It turned their current bliss into struggle, their love into possession.


Little did she know that at that moment, Yoona was suddenly plagued by the thoughts of Yonghwa.


Yoona could see them in her head every time she closed her eyes. No matter how hard she shut them, she could see them more clearly, doing exactly what they were doing.


Yonghwa and Seohyun together…maybe even on this very bed…


Surely, the two have done this before too? They were engaged after all…he’d made it further than Yoona has…


At the thought, she pulled Seohyun closer, distance, now nonexistent as she mindlessly threw the blanket separating their bodies.


But what Yonghwa hasn’t done, Yoona intends to do.


She’ll be the first.


She will be Seohyun’s first.


With as much graceful aggression she could muster, Yoona had flipped her girlfriend over without breaking their lip-lock. When she did pull away, it was her turn to gaze down into those deep dark eyes she so desperately wanted drown in.


It was then she wanted to make Seohyun hers. To claim her. Every second she stays here, she feels more inadequate to love Seohyun. This is her assurance.


There’s no going back’, Yoona looked down to tell her.


Seohyun seemed hesitant but ultimately couldn’t stop the overpowering urge to live in the moment. Yoona always did have that effect on her.


So Seohyun lets her commence, similarly drowning in the same water as Yoona although she was intoxicated by pure love rather than a mixture of the former along with jealousy.


Articles of clothing were soon shed, mindlessly thrown to the floor as they continued showering their other half with slow, sensual and passionate pecks in perfect trance, forgetting the world around them.


At that moment, they were the only ones that existed in the world as they did encompass everything in the others' entire world.


Yoona took the time to take in the image of the woman pinned underneath her, preparing to take her before running the pad of her thumb across her lips in appreciation. So soft.


Seohyun was everything she ever wanted.


At the same moment, Seohyun slowly and soothingly trailed her fingertips from her girlfriend's shoulder blades then down to her back before eventually stopping on her thin waist. Yoona had curves in the right places, she thought as she held her still by the waist. So smooth...


Yoona was everything Seohyun ever needed.


But before they could go any further, a sudden knock came to the door, and just like that, the mood vanishes into thin air.


Seohyun jerked back in panic, pulling away from Yoona as she finally snapped out of the spell.


And a good thing too. Once her inhibition came back, the cold air on her barely clothe body reminded her that she almost went all the way despite her promise.


Reaching a hand down on the floor, Seohyun snatched the blanket from the floor to cover them.


“Hyun? Yoona? You guys in there?”, a voice boomed through the other side of the door.


“Yoona get off me”, Seohyun hissed trying to push the unwilling girl off.


Not surprisingly, Yoona didn’t comply, and continued trailing kisses on her neck as if the knock never came.


“Yoona, ugh stop! Yonghwa’s at the door! He’s going to see us!”


Much to Seohyun’s relief, Yoona pulled away but just to give her a smug grin, her eyes dark with glee,






“Good. Let him see then”






“I’m going to open the door!”, they heard him say louder than usual; ironically to make sure he doesn’t walk in on them.




Seohyun widened her eyes when she saw the knob twist open…and she was powerless to do anything about it.