Special Update 1: The Kim-Hwangs

My Amajjing In-Laws

She didn’t know it then but Taeyeon was exactly what Tiffany needed and wanted in her life: A shadow. 


She was just as mysterious and less conspicuous walking around beside Tiffany like a second shadow; complete in her all black attire: suit and gloves which seemed to scream ‘adorable’ rather than ‘dangerous’.


Taeyeon was indeed a shadow, but even more useful as she could hold shopping bags and open doors for Tiffany. 


And much like one, it was even better that Taeyeon never talked, even when spoken too. Apart from occasional nods and gestures, the girl never opened to say anything. Tiffany just assumes that Taeyeon’s silence was the effect of her inability to speak and understand an ounce of English; after all, her father hired Taeyeon on the spot during one of his business trips to Korea and brought her to America for the sole purpose of stalking Tiffany. Why he would that; even Tiffany wasn’t sure. The girl didn’t seem special nor different, aside from the fact that she was the first female body guard she’d ever been given. If anything, she looked under qualified as she was short; shorter than Tiffany even, whereas her previous body guards towered her by over two feet.


Tiffany just shrugged it off as she didn’t seek protection, but rather, someone she can easily run away from. No way in hell a girl with such short legs could catch her if she ever decided to brush her off. Yes, it’ll be quite easy to escape Taeyeon which is why she accepted her father’s ‘offer’ without (much) complaint.


But as time progressed, Taeyeon’s silence started to get irritating. It wasn’t everyday Tiffany talked openly just so she can be ignored by someone working under her no less. So with her broken Korean, Tiffany had tried numerous to engage her in some small-talk.


“Hellooooo?”


After briefly scanning the luxurious store for any threats and finding none, Taeyeon looked at Tiffany expressionlessly. 


Although she was only doing her job, Tiffany was less than pleased by her usual late reaction, “When I call you, I want your attention then and there. Immediately”, Tiffany says with much irritation, emphasizing the last words by snapping her fingers.


“I asked if I should get the red bag or the purple one?”, Tiffany questions while holding the lavish bags respectively in each arm for Taeyeon to inspect.


Taeyeon just continues to stare at her uninterestingly, not even looking at the bags until finally, she shrugs.


Catalyzed by Taeyeon’s response (or lack thereof), irritation reared its ugly head once again. You’d think she’d be used to it after two months but the girl had a knack for getting under Tiffany’s skin---even by doing nothing. Actually, that’s probably the reason why Taeyeon ticked her off so bad; she was about as responsive as a dying fish. At least a dying fish would huff and puff and open its mouth while Taeyeon did nothing but stay mum.


With a quick toss, the bags land on the counter of the register, effectively surprising the lazy clerks.


Tiffany slides her platinum credit card towards the closest employee, ready to leave the place along with the robotic bodyguard who constantly suffocates her by breathing down her neck.


The clerks’ eyes bulged when they realized just how loaded Tiffany is.


“Oh you’re done already, miss? Is there anything else we can get for you?~”, they say in that faux cheery voice that could never fail to irritate Tiffany even more. She watched as they straightened themselves out, now ready to serve the rich customer.


“That bag looks great on you! We have more selection at the bac---“, they offered before they were rudely cut off.


“I want those. Just those two”, Tiffany said with finality, not bothering to look at the clerk. She was used to people kissing up, most likely in hopes of getting on her good side and getting in her pocket.


“O-okay”, they stuttered, a little taken aback at her upfront attitude. Usually, people who came from such wealthy backgrounds mindlessly basked in generic compliments, even tossing in a couple wads of cash in return.


Tiffany crosses her arms in impatience, briefly looking away to inspect other merchandise that she didn’t see one of the clerks rip off the tags and replace it with a far more expensive price.


But Taeyeon, having been trained to catch even the smallest details spotted it without trouble. She gave Tiffany a warning look, but was surprised when the latter did nothing but stand there. Tiffany had seen it too, but said nothing; after all, she was used to everyone taking advantage of her. She didn’t care anyway; they were nobodies. And it's not as if she had anything to lose aside from money. For Tiffany Hwang, money grew in trees.


Taeyeon took her silence as acceptance, mentally shaking her head disapprovingly at her indifference.


Without another word, Tiffany just walked away, not even turning around to make sure Taeyeon had grabbed her newly bought bags, which Taeyeon was obligated to carry anyway.


“Have a good day!”, the store employees called out to the two, unaware that they had been caught.


As if to demonstrate it, they started whispering when the two walked away: “Rich people these days…I can’t tell whether they’re just stupid or careless with their money. She just spent 5k without a thought!”, they snickered.


Taeyeon heard them, and so did Tiffany, but they both continued walking with hands in their pockets.


****


Her wealth was a curse in disguise although everybody would give up anything to be in Tiffany’s shoes. She’s rich, beautiful, and had a promising future with any young bachelor she so choose---if she does choose, that is.


Wealthy men from across the country---some even going as far as crossing oceans---vied for her attention. Of course, what they were really after apart from the obvious angel-on-earth beauty was the company, the money and the reputation Tiffany possessed. And Tiffany knew it. 


She figured finding love would be easier had there been more bachelors richer than her, after all, he wouldn’t be after her money. As sad as it is to think about the grim odds, at least he’d only be after her looks, not her status. Hey, beggars can’t be choosers right? And the irony of that didn’t fail escape her.


Unfortunately, most of the rich men she’d been set up with cared more about their reputation and future investments. Worse of all, they were arrogant and treated their women like property. Tiffany was just another business deal to them, if not a trophy to be won then perhaps a rival to be conquered through marriage.


And Tiffany hated it; how her money defined her. Everywhere she went, people would grovel and fall on her feet as if she was walking around with a huge dollar sign in bright neon lights hanging above her head. Or how people would immediately despise and label her as arrogant without even having exchanged a word with her.



“Tiffany Hwang? I heard she was spoiled silly by her humble father…ungrateful rich kids….”

“That’s the successor of the Hwang Inc. Go over there and befriend her!”

“I’d make her mine any day…I wouldn’t have to work a day in my life again!”

“My God, she’s beautiful. She’ll make a good 4th wife, don’t you think?”




Tiffany took another sip of her margarita as she tried to drown out the whispers with alcohol. She was close, but she was still sober enough to process the fact that people were still talking about her. Her father being the founder of Hwang Inc., she was more than obligated to be at this business party, much to her discontent. She could be anonymously partying in Las Vegas right now; or even better, be stuck in some desolated island where nobody can bother her. Then again, she was already drowning in an ocean full of nobodies.


So for what seemed like forever, Tiffany sat in her corner, occasionally nodding when an army of people greeted her as they passed. Of course, she didn’t know any of them but they acknowledged her like they did.





“Hey Ms. Hwang, how was your little vacation?! We missed you!”

“Tiffany! Girl, it’s been a long time! We need to catch up! How about a beach trip?”

“Hello Miyoung! I’m inviting you to my son’s wedding. Please tell me you’ll come?!”




Disgusting’, Tiffany thought as she was bombarded with so many fake greetings.


As if they actually cared about her.


Everyone around her wore a mask; she can see their real faces through the cracks.


Fake. 


They were all fake.


There had been a point in time when Tiffany acted like herself; nice, caring, polite---vulnerable. She learned over the years the hard way that people would do almost anything for money, utilizing her weaknesses against her to get what they want.


Tiffany recognizes the fact that she lost herself as the years went by. Who was she really? Even she doesn’t know. But what she does know is how to act and keep the façade that kept everybody away from her. 


Everybody. 


They’ll all take advantage of her anyway. 


It was a defense mechanism she developed over the years and it worked well for her. Now she knows how to survive in an ocean full of sharks disguised as dolphins---by becoming one as well.


As she downed more drinks by the hour, it got harder and harder to discern left from right, let alone right from wrong. Soon, she could barely even keep her vision straight. Her shadow must’ve noticed it too, since she put a hand over her glass right before Tiffany could pour anymore poison in her drink.


“What the hell do you think you’re doing?”, Tiffany glared at Taeyeon who prepared to toss away the drink but was stopped when Tiffany snatched it back.


Clumsy as she was sober, she was even clumsier drunk, so it took close to no effort for Taeyeon to overpower the intoxicated girl. With a quick flick of the wrist, Taeyeon threw the drink down a nearby trashcan.


After a moment of intense eye contact, Tiffany broke away.


“Oh, I see. Okay then, body guard”, Tiffany said as she deviously chuckled, digging into her clutch for something.


Taeyeon curiously observed Tiffany’s antics in silence.


“So how much are you?”, she said, pulling out her wallet, thick wads of cash visible along with numerous credit cards.


Taeyeon didn’t reply although her usual expressionless face slightly changed.


Noticing it, Tiffany pushed on; “Whatever my father is paying you, I’ll double it”


“…”


Without waiting for a reply, Tiffany grabbed a particularly thick wad of cash and stuffed it in Taeyeon’s shirt pocket, some bills falling to the floor carelessly.


“Now go away and leave me alone”, Tiffany spat in irritation and finality, turning away to commence her drinking. Everything ends when she decides it ends; that’s how it’s always been after all.


Little did Tiffany know that she had just trampled on her shadow’s most valuable asset---to Taeyeon, even far more valuable than money was her pride, and so she stood there, crumbling, not out of embarrassment but rather, anger.


For the first time, Tiffany felt her shadow’s strong physical grip as it seemingly materialized tight on her arms. With a violent tug, Tiffany found herself lifted off barstool, her face just inches from Taeyeon’s as the latter’s chain-like grip kept her in place. Eyes wide in shock met ones filled with rage as the two locked eyes. 


Tiffany has never seen her---or anyone for that matter--- with so much raw emotion. 


Real.


It was a first for Tiffany but also a first for Taeyeon when she uttered her first words: 






“You think you can buy me? I don’t want your filthy money, you spoiled brat”






Real. 


Her rage was true. 


It wasn’t fake nor was it forced.


She wasn’t acting to please anybody.


But most importantly of all, Tiffany realized at that moment that Taeyeon was real. 





She was real.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------





"Eh? Fany? Is there something on my face?", Taeyeon asked when she noticed her wife's lingering gaze.


Tiffany suddenly snaps out of her reminiscing, replying, "Yes, I'll get it" 


Placing a gentle finger on Taeyeon's chin, Tiffany suddenly leans forward to plant a chaste kiss on her lips, effectively surprising her wife.


Tiffany was greeted with the familiar feeling of Taeyeon’s lips. They felt nice. They felt soft. They felt warm. Most important of all: they felt real.


"uhh *cough* Fany, what was that for?", Taeyeon hesitantly began, trying to hide her shock.


"I just felt like it. I can't spontaneously kiss my wife?", Tiffany says teasingly, smiling all the while.


Knowing full well that Tiffany always wins these witty comeback battles and eventually has her way, Taeyeon ceases with a warm smile.


"You’re such a spoiled brat...~"

---------------------
A/N:

chapter 20 preview:


Spoiler 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iFoGNtG2YLQ
cr: YoonHyunTV
RAWR nuff’ said! Not only is there lack of YoonHyun in SSF, there are like NO hot YoonHyun moments! Let’s change that, shall we? ;D Though that doesn't mean i'm making it a rated chapter...cmon, they're the maknae couple! I'm not quite ready to deviate from their innocence and purity ;A;
They’re like…all fluffy. Not that that’s bad but I can only take so much cheesiness until I inadvertently vomit out rainbows, hearts and unicorns.