Sweet Potato Couple

My Amajjing In-Laws

Yuri nervously fiddled with the edge of the newspaper before flipping the page to cover her face when Jessica came in sight.


Feigning casual disinterest, she kept her eyes glued to the paper although attentively following the yellow blur in her peripherals as it searched for a cold beverage in their kitchen.


The love spat from earlier left the two in non-speaking terms, with Yuri trying to come up with a way to make-up as she usually never lasts in the aftermath of argument.


It surely doesn’t help that both have always been too stubborn to apologize.


But surely Jessica notices the freezing temperature, an obvious indication that she fixed her AC as she made sure to turn it up higher than usual? Yuri had taken the time to fix it as her Queen slumbered, rushing to go back in when she heard her footsteps coming down the stairs. But her efforts went in vain; even while wearing a thin tank top and shorts, the Ice Queen seemed unfazed.


“Guess who I saw at the hardware store today?”, Yuri began, trying to nonchalantly ease her way into her wife’s good side; her last resort.


Maybe then she wouldn’t need to apologize, she reasons.


When Jessica didn’t answer, Yuri continued talking.


“Taecyeon”


Still, Jessica gives her the cold shoulder, as if Yuri was nothing but an irritating bee that needed to be slapped senseless.


“You invited him for dinner?”, Yuri pushes on.


“Do you have a problem with that?”, Jessica finally replies, quick and cold.


“No…but Yoona does”, Yuri suavely countered, all too used to Jessica’s unintentional icy tone although she was sure that this time it was deliberate.


“Have you spoken to Yoona?”, the light-haired wife suddenly speaks up, concern for her eldest daughter overpowering the need to punish her seobang.


Yuri should’ve known that if there was anything Jessica would break a vow of silence for, it would be for the sake of her favorite choding. Yuri mentally sulks at the thought of not being number 1, jealous even of her own daughter.


But snapping out of her instinctive jealousy, Yuri confirms, “She had a fight with her girlfriend…Yoona was being a jealous freak”


“Now who does that sounds like?”


“And I don’t believe you. She’s not even the jealous type”, Jessica scoffs at the incredulous statement before assuming her wife was just desperate to be on speaking-terms again.


“Oh but she is, especially when she really likes somebody”


“Nonsense. She only gets like that with me”, Jessica replies, after taking a gulp of her cold beverage.


“Then you’ve finally found your match”


Jessica briefly pauses in contemplating silence.


“…Is she okay?”


“She will be”


“What do you mean she will be? She’s either fine or she’s not. I swear if that girl does anything to--”, Jessica's sudden protective maternal instincts taking over.


“They’ll kiss and make up. Sica, she really likes the girl. She’s probably apologizing as we speak”


“Well at least someone knows how to”


“Yah, I gave her that advice”


“You should take your own advice then”


“Haven’t I already?”, Yuri continues the banter.


“I know you’re cold. Stop being so prideful and just let me warm you up already. This is perfect cuddling temperature~”, Yuri gets up to approach her headstrong wife, playfully poking her sides.


“I’m in not in the mood to cuddle”, Jessica gently smacks her hand away while Yuri sulks at Jessica’s rejection, "Especially with that large spot of grease on your face"


"What? Where?", Yuri frantically tries to wipe it off, although failing to find the spot.


Jessica her thumb and rubs it on Yuri's cheek until the dark stain was gone while the latter could only wince at her rough but loving gesture.


Looking down to inspect her darkened thumb, Jessica sighs distastefully as she washes her hand on the sink, "Ugh disgusting. Go take a shower"


Yuri could only rub her reddened cheek, not mentioning the fact that she already took a shower earlier.


“And when you're done, let’s go outside instead”, Jessica quickly added without turning when she noticed Yuri’s frowning face.


“You? Want to go outside?”, the raven-haired wife trailed off, utterly surprised by the Jung’s uncharacteristic request.


“Our garden needs a little touch-up”


Yuri looks outside, looking at a garden that currently needs no such tending especially since she just pulled out the weeds earlier.


“You’ll help me fix it?”


“No. I’m going to sit here and enjoy the view as youre bending over to pull the weeds out. Of course, I’ll help you”, Jessica deadpans, rolling her eyes.


Yuri smiles and shamelessly accepts the offer when she finally realizes what it actually was; a peace offering.


And like that, the two made up through actions without uttering a word of apology--although a simple sorry would’ve been definitely better as Yuri later found herself sobbing over her garden when Sica accidently pulled her precious flowers instead.



------


Seohyun didn’t even know how she found herself standing in front of Yonghwa’s studio room. All she remembers is stomping out as soon as Yoona slammed the door in her face, leaving her fuming mad at her sudden abandonment.


Walking mindlessly along the labyrinth like hallways, she somehow found her solace within; partially draped in a white sheet was her old grand piano—the one Yonghwa bought for her on their first anniversary.


She didn’t further dwell on the topic of why the man would even keep it, as her mind was much too preoccupied of thoughts about Yoona, the cause of the growing turmoil boiling within her. Frankly, she doesn’t know how to deal with Yoona’s sudden outbursts. Try as she might, she couldn’t rationalize why her girlfriend had lashed out so crudely. Even if she is sick, that didn’t justify her heartless venting. She, although very reserved, had feelings of her own, after all.


Now desperate to silence them, she opens the door to sit herself on the piano stool, reacquainting herself with an old friend. After removing the drapes, she runs her fingers along the smooth but dusty keys before instinctively starting to play.


Although mindless of the piece she’s playing, she allows the notes to take her away as it lulled her with its rhythm.


Music. It never failed to console her and save her in her moments of weakness. She wonders why she ever dropped this hobby until she realizes it was because Yoona’s apartment was too small to house a piano. It would also be too noisy for the other tenants if she were to play in addition to the fact that it always brings back a piece of the past that is better left forgotten.


Now with eyes closed, she’s taken away from reality to frolic in its blissful sound, savoring the moment down to the final note.


She lets it echo, the last reverberating note finally calming the storm within.


“I’m glad to hear that you haven’t forgotten about our song”, a voice snaps her out musical meditation.


She opens her eyes and sees Yonghwa comfortably sitting on a chair, no doubt listening to her play since the very beginning.


“Banmal Song. Converted into a piano version on the spot. You haven’t lost your touch”, he smiles, walking his way towards her but not before grabbing a guitar—his favorite one; this she still remembers as she spots a keroro sticker she stuck on there a long time ago.


Seohyun didn’t even realize she had been playing it. She looks away guiltily, unsure of how to take it. The need to reminisce about happier times meant she was unhappy at the moment. Although ashamed to admit it, she isn’t too fond of Yoona right now.


He sits himself beside her, guitar held close, just as he had done so many times in the past when they would play duets for fun.


“Please”, he urges her to continue playing.


Unwilling, she changes the topic, “Where’s everyone?”


“They’ve already left. I told them you wanted to stay with Yoona”


Yoona.


She couldn’t stop a sigh from escaping her lips at the thought of her frustrating girlfriend.


“She normally isn’t like that”


He immediately notices her despair and begins cheering her up.


“C’mon, just play. It’s gonna make you feel better”


She sighs again, unsure of whether it was because of Yoona or because she was actually contemplating on taking her ex-lover’s offer.


Without waiting for an answer, he begins strumming; the first note undoubtedly hitting a rewind button as old memories suddenly plays in their minds like a film without sound.






"When we met for the first time,

Even our smiles are shy”



A boy in his teens stands up in the midst of a noisy music classroom, walking towards a girl who seemed too into her own world to take note of him or anybody else for that matter.


After swallowing a big lump on his throat, he barely manages a croak as he finally says his first words to his secret long-time crush.


“Hey”


She looks up at him with questioning eyes, and it’s quite obvious that not a lot of people approach her.


“Umm hello?”, she replies, unsure and equally bashful as she averts his eyes and his outstretched hands.


“I’m Jung Yonghwa”, he panicked and took her hands anyway and frantically shook them to save himself the embarrassment of a possible rejection.


“I-um”, she pulls her hand away quickly albeit politely, quite unused to having anybody so close to her personal bubble, “I’m Kim-Hwang Seohyun”.



**


“After today, we should be closer to each other,

I’m both excited and looking forward to it everyday”



“Thank you, Yonghwa-ssi”, she thanks him as he handed her her notebook, her smile noticeably wider than back then.


He retracts the last minute while she frowns at his actions.


“Stop being so formal with me. How long have we known each other?”, he says as he scratches his head, feigning irritation to hide his shyness at the thought of suggesting a more intimate way of conversing.


A good and loyal friend indeed, he had been there for her regardless of her stubbornness and reserved nature.


“But! If you’re really uncomfortable, you don’t have to!”, he added quickly when he noticed her unchanging expression.


Moments later, they softened, “It’s okay…my sister did tell me I need to loosen up a bit. I’ll give it a shot…Yong”


She doubts she’ll ever forget his wide smile that day.



**


“I hope we can come to a point where we can speak comfortably to each other,

Though it may be awkward and hard,

Rather than saying ‘thank you’, let me hear more intimate words”



In a cozy living room, the two were seated on a piano stool practicing their respective pieces until one momentarily halts. Noticing the absence of the other’s sound, the other soon followed suit.


“Do you know how you can tell what instrument somebody plays?”, Yonghwa begins, looking at the floor in deep thought.


“How?”, Seohyun replies, a little taken at his sudden insight.


“Their hands”


“Here, what instrument do you think I play?”, he turns to her as he offers his hands.


“Piano, obviously”, she responds automatically without taking his hands as she was aware of this fact since they first met.


“I play another instrument. C’mon, try it”


She sighs at his adamant nature, finally connecting the tips of her fingers to his palms, running it up then down his rough hands.


“Guitar?”


“Feel these ridges here? Those callouses are formed when we strum”, he says, leading her hands to his fingertips. So focused was Seohyun that she failed to notice how close their faces were as she traced the lines of his palms, admiring the marks of his passion and hard work.


“I hate how guitarists’ hands feel. I much prefer a pianist’s hands.”, he says, gently snapping her out of awe.


In a gentle manner, he takes both of her hands into his own until finally caressing the back of her hands with his thumbs.


“They’re soft. Like yours”, he whispers, kissing each one.


Seohyun had never been good at reading physical cues, but this one screamed his true feelings.


She knew from that day on, they couldn’t just be friends.



**


“We will speak comfortably to each other,

One step at a time,

Walk slowly closer to me”



Slow and steady.


Yonghwa had always taken her feelings into consideration even at his own expense. He had long proven himself a man patient enough to wait for her in addition to a being a dependable gentleman who will always take care of her.


Even now, as he looks at her unsure, “I don’t want to force anything on you…”


“It’s a big responsibility…”, she squirms slightly under his arm but he responds with a reassuring squeeze.


“I’ll help you, you know that. But if you don’t want him, we don’t have too…”


“We should get him then”, she says, looking up at him to make sure he’s really willing to comply.


“Of course! Anything for Seororo. So what do you want to name him?”


A moment of thought until she said with a smile:


“Jinxy”



**


Look me in the eye,

And tell me…”



“Are your hands cold?”


“They’re fine”


“Hands are a musician’s most valuable asset. Protect them”


With that he engulfed her hands into his own, providing it warmth and protection. He breathes hot air into her hands before shooting her a wide smile.



“And how else would I fit a ring on it if they’re all bloated and cold?”


Seohyun stops to look him in the eye, especially after the possible insinuation, “What are you saying?”


He goes down on a knee and presents a tiny object that would forever bind her to this man.


“I’m saying: Seohyun, I’ve loved you the moment I met you. Will you marry me?”


“I-“






“I love you”










Even when his song came to an end, the two estranged lovers found themselves locking gazes, still immersed with feelings of what once was.


Closer, he inched…ready to re-enact their last farewell kiss.


It would taste bittersweet…but at least it was closure.


Closer they came, a pair of eyes already shut expectantly…


Until…


“I love Yoona”


When Yonghwa opened his eyes, he was greeted by Seohyun’s; they weren’t stern nor cold, but rather soft---almost apologetic.


“I’m sorry”, she says, scooting away to reestablish her space.


Yonghwa coughs awkwardly, fully snapping back into reality. Of course; Seohyun is a taken woman now. Taken by an immature woman at that.


“I’m sorry too. Kind of just got lost in the moment”, he smiles weakly, also turning away to hide his embarrassment.


The two didn’t even manage to hear the loud footsteps echoing along the hallways outside as Yoona ran out as fast and far as possible away from the scene whilst carelessly wiping the pooling tears that would soon blur her vision.


She was right; Seohyun still loved Yonghwa.


------------




A/N: BANMAL SONG STRIKES AGAIN

I’m not lying when I say it’s getting harder and harder for me to ship Yoonhyun when they’ve got such awesome exes xD

Not trolling but TaecYoon will be epic :| I think they should break up for a little bit and go back to their respective exes…

YOU MUST WATCH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QDvQaTrJSM&feature=player_embedded