Warning: Deer Crossing

My Amajjing In-Laws

YongSeo

Yonghwa's Residence: Studio room





“I should go back to Yoona”


Seohyun hastily gets up, desperate to clear the suffocating air that settled between them as she reached for the doorknob for a quick escape.


“What did I do wrong?”, she barely hears Yonghwa breath in a low whisper.


With her back turned against him, Seohyun immediately halts, letting the doorknob shift back to its original position as she turns to face the man she once left.


She was instantly greeted by his solemn face, the loneliness brought about by a sudden year spent apart now apparent in his every feature.


“Yonghwa…”


“Please help me understand why you left me all of a sudden. Especially after spending half a decade together”, he says broodingly while Seohyun could only look on in sympathy.


Her worse fears realized: Yonghwa was still stuck in the past.


With a sigh, she leans her back on the closed door, ready to provide the man she so tediously cared for any closure he needs to move on.


“Yonghwa, we’ve talked about this. You did everything right…you just picked the wrong girl”, she reasons gently.


“It didn’t seem so wrong at the time”


“And I agree. But we were never meant to be. We just…happened”


“How could five years just happen?”


“Because I didn’t lie when I said I loved you”


He immediately snaps his eyes up quizzically at her blunt confession.


“So what? Your feelings changed? We drifted apart? Did I do something?”


“No. I still love you”


Perplexed, he stares hard at her in shocked puzzlement, “Then—“


Realizing his misconception, she immediately waves her hands in front of her dismissingly.


“Please don’t misunderstand; I love you as a friend…and I always will. I didn’t realize until after we were engaged that my feelings for you weren’t romantic. You’ve just always been there for me that I mistook my friendly fondness towards you as something else…”


To which he gently shook his head, “No, you’ve always known you didn’t love me. You won’t tell me this but I know you felt sorry for me; I know you. That’s why you stayed with me, right? You hoped that you could one day learn to return my feelings?”, he smiles somberly yet knowingly while she could only look away guiltily.


“A friend then. That’s all I was in the end…”, he sighs.


“Not just a friend, no, you were—are my dearest friend, Yong”, she counters sincerely.


“We’ve always been close. I tell you everything. Believe me when I say that breaking up with you was the hardest thing I had to do since it meant losing my closest and only friend. And it was even harder to leave town but I did it to give you the space you needed…to make you realize that you don’t need me. I mean, look at this place; you’ve done so much without me…”


“I worked hard to keep my mind off you; you’re still the reason I have all this”


She tears her gaze on the floor to look him in the eye, “…I’m sorry…but it would’ve been unfair for the both of us if I stayed. I want to go back to how we used to be…the friendship we had before we started all this but perhaps it’s best if we just go our separate ways…”


“It almost feels like you’re breaking up with me all over again”, he joked with a solemn laugh.


She briefly smiles at his lighthearted attempt to alleviate the serious mood but reverts back to tell him earnestly, “This can’t work out if you’re not over me, Yong”


Finally, with a heavy sigh, he relents. “I’m over you. I just needed closure”, he lied.


Time...he needs more time. But he can't bear the distance any more.


Getting up, he walks to Seohyun and sticks his arm out for her to take, “Are we back then?”


Seohyun looks down at his outstretched hand, almost as if meeting him for the very first time, “As friends?”


He pauses, reluctant of lying to the only woman he ever loved.


“Of course”


With that, she takes his hand with a smile.


“I’ve missed you, Yonghwa”


---


Sitting across from each other in a coffee table, the two rekindled friends basked in comfortable silence, simply enjoying each other’s company along with a mug of warm chocolate to combat the cold air outside.


As Yonghwa put his mug down, he unexpectedly breaks the silence to reflect on and share some wisdom, a habit of his that Seohyun always enjoyed as it usually sparked an introspective debate.


“I think you should look at where you’ve fallen”, he stated metaphorically out of nowhere and it takes no more than a second for Seohyun to figure out that he’s talking about her and Yoona.


“She makes me happy”, she countered flatly, mimicking his actions by pressing her lips on the rim of her own mug to take a sip. “So why look down when I can look up?”


“Because if you don’t look at where you’re going, you’ll end up hurting yourself. Before you know it, you’re stuck in a dark ditch crying by yourself. The sky isn’t always a lovely place to look at; Love isn’t always sunshine and butterflies. Like right now for example”, he motions his head towards the rain-spattered window showcasing the gloomy forefront along with the raging wind just outside although she knew better; he was talking about Yoona.


She gives a weak smile at the thought of their similarities; they are too much alike. That’s how they got along so well after so many years, after all. Indeed, they had always shared the same ideals and values—love included, but unlike her, he didn’t have anybody to change what he calls their ‘realistic’ view on romance.


“I’ve been looking at the ground for as long as I can remember, Yong. I think I’ll take my chance this time…look at the sky for once…maybe I’ll see something worth the risk”


“Besides, she’s keeping an eye on what’s ahead for the both of us. I trust her; she won’t let me fall”


“She’ll trip you herself”, he tells her bluntly, completely taking him by surprise when Seohyun suddenly bursts out in a gentle fit of laughter as she recalls the first time Yoona ever initiated public skinship.


---


Walking side by side at the local city park was a newly made couple, as indicated by their obvious shyness and distance, simply enjoying the serene sunset with the chirping of birds acting as the backdrop song to a seemingly peaceful and romantic date…until Yoona suddenly stuck a foot out in front of her girlfriend’s, causing her to almost topple over and land on her face had Yoona not caught her by the waist.


After frantically straightening up and dusting off nonexistent dust, Seohyun recovers from what could have been the worse display of public embarrassment. She shoots Yoona her very first glare; a particularly lethal one at that as Seohyun momentarily resembled the ‘Grudge’ girl with her hair all over her face like that.


Seohyun had always known Yoona to be extremely child-like, but she didn’t think she could get this playful.


Really? She hasn’t been tripped since the 1st grade when Victoria thought it would be beneficial to test her little sister’s reflexes.


Ready to freak out as well as educate her new girlfriend for future reference about her distaste of public humiliation at randomly falling flat on her face, Seohyun opens to begin the sermon but immediately shuts up when the choding claimed her hands in a seemingly apologetic gesture, Seohyun’s irritation immediately dissipating only to be replaced by bashfulness at the mere contact of Yoona’s hands.


So Seohyun let’s it go—for now-- without another word, huffing out frustration instead whilst trying to ignore her own warming cheeks as she avoided Yoona’s hopeful gaze.


Reject? Respond?


Neither.


Passive like usual, Yoona observed. But by now, she knows that Seohyun’s silence usual meant approval.


Yoona prepares to test the solidity of this theory so she takes it a step further.


A hand snakes along her back.


Seohyun immediately tensed up when she felt Yoona’s arms wrap around her waist.


Seohyun begins to awkwardly pull away, aware of the judging eyes around her.


“Yoona, not here…there’s peo—Eeeeep!“, and before she could even finish her sentence , she finds herself stumbling forward a second time when her feet suddenly entangled themselves with Yoona’s outstretched one.


A hearty laugh escapes Yoona’s wide open mouth, signaling the first prank Seohyun quite literally ever fell for.


Not so passive now, Yoona smiles to herself. Getting a rise out of this lovely robot never failed to amuse her.


“Be on your toes”, Yoona flashed that child-like grin of hers, playfully sticking a tongue out along with a foot as she supported the wobbly Seohyun to her feet with a firm grip around the waist.


By now, Seohyun wants to choke the living lights out of her girlfriend; until her tongue is sticking out the side of and her eyes are nothing but a pair capital X’s.


But she finds it in her soul to maintain her bearings and show Yoona some mercy.


“Stop tripping me!”, Seohyun hisses instead of fulfilling her murderous intent, squinting her raging eyes at Yoona before reprimanding her with an elbow.


But Yoona only held her hand tighter.


“What? But I caught you~”, Yoona defended with a pouty face akin to a little girl justifying a mischievous deed.


Seohyun ignores her in irritation, unaware of the fact that she no longer feels awkward holding onto Yoona’s hand in public.



--


“She’s extremely playful”, Seohyun tells Yonghwa pensively whilst smiling down on her mug, still immersed with the memory.


“She’s not good for you”


Seohyun looks up to give him a blank look.


“From a friend’s perspective”, he adds nonchalantly. “She’s immature, impatient, not to mention irrational; she’s not like you at all…”


“I agree…Yoona is all of those things”, Seohyun begins, still looking down as she drowns in deeper thought.


Suddenly she looks up and locks eyes with Yonghwa in conviction,





“And I wouldn’t want her any other way”




“If only you, Victoria and my parents can see her through my eyes…you’ll love her as much as I do. What you see as immature, I see as blissfully blithe. What you take as impatience, I take as enthusiasm. And what you think is irrational is actually passion—impulsive, but she’s passionate nonetheless. You see, Yoona never thinks; she just does it. It might not be the smartest choice, but it’s the truest to her feelings”, Seohyun tells him, demonstrating the perfect example of why beauty lies within the eyes of the beholder.


“It’s only been 10 months…”, Yonghwa informs her while Seohyun only looks out the window in deep thought.





“I still love her”





With a sigh, he relents, “Then I just hope she’s strong enough to catch you....”






“Because you’re falling hard and fast”





-


Reinvigorated, Seohyun knocks on Yoona’s door with two cups of hot chocolate in hand, ready to make up with her girlfriend.


Yoona should’ve cooled down by now just as she has.


With clear heads, they should be able to talk it out and solve their problems like they normally do over mundane disagreements.


“Yoona?”, she calls loud enough to be heard pass the thick wooden door.


No answer.


Seohyun slowly opens the door and warily enters, putting down the hot drinks on a nearby dressing table as she feasts her eyes on her surroundings, quickly scanning the room.


Everything was as it was when she left…except for one thing.


“Yoona?”, Seohyun repeats, quieter this time, almost like a whisper.


But Yoona was nowhere to be found.

 

---

 

Let's end this YongSeo saga with a dramatic vid shall we? But is it really the end?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q-2ndxCXO0&feature=related