Chapter 8

Can I be her?

I woke up in a white room with bright lights. Where am I? What happened?

 

I saw my mom and my brother crying. Kaleb doesn't cry easily. What's happening?

 

Where's our older brother? He was just with me, we were supposed to buy a cake for tomorrow.

 

"Mommy?" My dad then looked at me, he caressed my hair. "Hello sweetie, I'll call the Doctor." Doctor? Am I in the hospital? Why?

 

"Hello.." A woman smiled at me. "I just need to check on you okay?" I nodded. Am I sick? It's cold and my head hurts.

 

"Can you tell me your name?" I looked at Dad, he nodded.

 

"Alex.. Alexis Kira. Whe–where's my brother?" I whispered. They all looked sad. Why?

 

Mom then went close to me. "Honey.." i stared at her. "He.. Your brother loves you so much, always remember that okay?" She hugged me, I feel so sad. 

 

I woke up again, I saw Kaleb reading something beside me.

 

"Kaleb.." he looked at me and smiled sadly. 

 

"Does anything hurt lexi? Do you need something?" I shook my head.

 

"Is Kaden okay?" He avoided my gaze. I can sense that something is wrong. I haven't seen him since yesterday it's Christmas eve, he was excited to celebrate today.

 

"Alex, listen okay? Kaden" he cleared his throat "You and him, got into an accident. Do you remember?" What? No I don't. He held my hands and closed his eyes.

 

"Kaden is not with us anymore." He continued crying. I can feel my heart breaking, my tears suddenly flowing in my face. 

 

 

"Thankfully, it is just a minor injury. No surgery needed. I advise that you take full rest and avoid any activities that could cause discomfort." The doctor said to me. 

 

"Thank you, Doc."our other coach talked to the doctor outside.  I looked at Noah

 

"You heard him, take a rest. The team won don't worry." I took a deep breath and smiled. Great!

 

"I will, of course." 

 

 

"You're out for the next game Collins. Atleast until you're ankle is fully healed. I'll inform head coach and the team. I'll let Mr. Davis take you home now." Coach told me. 

The nurse is also done putting a protective cast on my ankle. She also gave me a crutch to use for support. I thanked her.

 

"They're all waiting at your condo." Noah supported me as we walk towards his car.


 

"How are you feeling?" Liz asked.

 

"It doesn't hurt that bad, don't worry." 

 

"You need someone to be here with you until you can walk comfortably lexi." Danny suggested. Noah and Sam are busy preparing food for us.

 

"I'll do it."

 

"No liz, it's still hectic in your department. I know you're busy with requirements. Sam should do it instead, she also lives just above." Ethan said. 

 

"Yup! I'll take care of the kid. We need a responsible adult to do that." Sam shouted from the kitchen and we laughed.

 

"Hey!" Liz pouted.

 

 

"We'll get going, we still have a paper to finish." Danny dragged Liz

 

"Message us if you need anything." Ethan reminded. I nodded.

 

"Thank you guys, take care." I said waving at them. Sam led them to the door. 

 

"You should take a rest in your room Kira, I'll clean this up." It's already 3 in the afternoon.

 

"Hey, I can still move you know."

 

"I know, but you need to get well because you still have games to play." She held my arm helping me to stand up. 

 

"Thanks, Sam." 

 

"I'll borrow your key card okay? I have to get my things uptairs. I'll wake you up for dinner." I nodded as she close my bedroom door.


 

"Are you waiting for your driver? I'll drop you off, where do you live?" I looked up at Sam.

 

"It's okay, he's just a bit late. Thank you for the offer." My driver texted me that he went to a car shop because a tire was flat earlier.

 

"Okay. I'll wait with you then." She sat beside me. "I heard you left the team." She continued. I'm not enjoying it anymore because of my teammates since last year. Especially this year that many rookies are joining.

 

"Yeah. I'm trying to focus on studies for now." 

 

"We're actually glad that you decided to quit. I know your ex teammates are toxic. And now that we are graduating, Liz is worried that we won't be here." 

 

Ever since Liz warned my seniors, they stopped bothering me. I know she's worried that they will trouble me again.

 

"I'll be fine. Marcus will still be here with me." 

 

I saw our car stopped near us.

 

"I'll get going see you tomorrow Sam." She smiled and waved at me.

 

I woke up from my nap and checked my phone.

 

Dina: Get well soon Alex! We'll surely win the next games for you.

 

Captain Kyla: Rest well! 

 

I went out of my room to check if Sam is still here. I saw her reading while sitting on the floor.

 

"How could you eat ice cream without me?" I acted hurt. 

 

"Of course I got yours!" She went to get it from the refrigerator. 

 

"Thanks!" 

 

"What do you want for dinner? I'm just going to order." She asked while browsing her phone.

 

"Anything would be fine. Are you staying for the night?" She seems to be wearing her sleepwear already.

 

"Yeah, is that alright? I can stay for a week. I'll be your cook, assistant and even driver, just like old times." she proudly said. Just like old times.

 

"I think you should let me drop you off, they're still far. It will be late if you wait for them."  Sam offered.

 

My driver had to pick up my brother from the airport before picking me up, but i think they got stuck on traffic.

 

I contemplated if I should accept the offer. Ever since the accident, my parents hired a professional driver for me. I was scared to ride with anyone. The doctor said it must be trauma.

 

"Sam.. sorry if this is weird, but.. do you– how carefully do you drive?" I hesitantly asked. She looks taken aback but smiled immediately.

 

"I'll make sure nothing happens to you Alex, I promise. If i have to drive as slow as possible i will." She reassured me.

 

I opened the door but hesitated. "You can ride in the back if that's more comfortable for you." 

 

"It's okay. And you don't have to drive slow, it's fine." I sat down and put on my seatbelt. I feel like I should tell her the story.

 

"So, where do you live?" She started the car. My family lives in LA because of business, that's why I live alone in a Condominium here in Berkeley.

 

"At M condo downtown." She looked at me in surprise.

 

"Really? I also lived there, how come I haven't seen you? We've known each other for almost a year now." 

 

"Tell me if you're uncomfortable, I'll pull over right away." She started driving.

 

I'm not gripping on the seatbelt and It feels weird. It wasn't uncomfortable, it was the opposite. 

 

But now

You're so far away and I'm down

Feelin' like a face in the crowd

I'm reachin' for you, terrified

'Cause you could be the one that I love

I could be the one that you dream of

Message in a bottle is all I can do

Standin' here, hopin' it gets to you

You could be the one that I keep, and I

Could be the reason you can't sleep at night

Message in a bottle is all I can do

Standin' here, hopin' it gets to you

 

"Thank you for this and sorry about earlier." We're walking side by side towards the elevator. "3 years ago... my brother died. We actually got into an accident. Car accident to be exact." She suddenly stopped walking.

 

She faced me. "I'm so sorry." I sadly smiled at her.

 

"It's fine. I'm okay now. I'm just having a hard time trusting people in that part. I'll be okay and thanks to you, i think this is a start to overcoming it." We entered the elevator.

 

"I can always drive for you. Only if you want me to of course." 

 

I stared at her. Since then, I started to feel safe again. The heavy feeling in my chest eased, and the walls around me came down. Maybe it's because of the person.

 

"Wanna watch a movie?" She asked.

 

"Sure."

 

Yeah it is because of a person.