Chapter 22

Can I be her?


It's been a few days after the hell dinner. I sat on the ground after our morning training. I wiped off my sweat.

 

"You're done already? Dang! I'm late." Ali said standing up beside me. I drank water and chuckled at her.

 

"Why? It's not like the training's interesting. Unless... Are you eyeing a player here?" I said teasing her.

 

"My eyes are only on yours." She said that seriously still looking around, I waited for her to say that she's kidding. 

 

She's not? "What are you doing? Go wash up, we're gonna be late." She said again. 

 

"Okay, mom." I stretched my arms, she looked at me questioningly, "Help me up."

 

She held my arms and pulled me, "Thanks, you can go first." 

 


 

I opened my locker to put my things before going to class. 

 

"Alex!" I heard Dina calling me.

 

"Yeah?" I said not looking. "What?" I turned around when she didn't answer. But to my surprise, she's not the one waiting for me.

 

"Hi.." Sam.

 

"Hey," I took my other bag from the locker. "What are you doing here?" I closed my locker and walked closer to her.

 

"About last friday, I'm sorry.." She said. I looked her in the eyes, that must've really bothered her.

 

"Let's walk to class together." I said because I see some athletes looking at us. 

 

"I didn't mean it that way, what I said." She started.

 

"I know." I stopped walking under a tree to face her, "I'm sorry if I snapped on you, it was a bad evening."

 

"I just.. I guess I was just surprised to find out that you two are related. But I know you're right, you never did say anything bad. I just expressed it in a terrible way." She sighed.

 

"I never want to keep that a secret, it was her call. When I saw her the first time with you, she didn't tell you guys anything. So I just guess she didn't want anyone to know."

 

"Sorry on what you had to witness that night. But like I said, it wasn't new. It was upsetting though, but I'll live." I continued chuckling trying to lighten up the mood.

 

"You don't have to say sorry for anything. I just want you to know that I'll only believe things about you that comes directly from you." She said smiling genuinely.

 

"Thanks," my phone rang, "That's my cue, I'll see you around." 

 

"Kira, uhm..." 

 

"We're good, don't worry." I brushed my hand on her arm.

 

 

"Did you drown in the shower room?" Ali said as soon as I seated. I just stuck my tongue out on her.

 

"You finished your problem sets here right?" I gasped and she widen her eyes.

 

"Kidding. Yes, I did." I grinned at her. She pinched my side.

 

"I almost smacked you in the head." She whispered when the professor entered the room.

 

"You're so brutal." I whispered back.

 

 

"Should we go out for lunch? I'm getting tired of the cafeteria here in campus." Ali said while I'm fixing my things.

 

"I have this favorite cafe downtown. They re-opened today after a few months of renovation. Wanna go there?" I said.

 

"You don't drink coffee." 

 

"I like their cookies. Come on."

 

 

"I didn't know you changed your car." She entered, "Am I the very first passenger in this gorgeous car?" 

 

"My grandma doesn't take no for an answer," I started the engine, "And yes, you're the first."

 

"Great! I'm glad."

 

I chuckled while driving, "Why?" 

 

"I just think it's a privilege." She shrugged. "What about your jeep? You love that car." 

 

"I'm still going to use it from time to time. I'll have to process another parking at the building though."

 

"You can park at my house."

 

"It's fine, I think it's not a long process. And stop eyeing my jeep." 

 

"Crap! I got caught." We laughed. 

 

I beeped my horn and rolled down my windows when I saw Ethan and Sam walking to the parking.

 

"Hey, Lexi! Ooh y car! Hi, Alicia!" Ethan said.

 

"Hello!"

 

"Where are you two headed?" he asked.

 

"At a cafe, wanna come?" I answered.

 

"Okay! But I'm taking my own car, I'll just follow along." I nodded at him and rolled up my windows again.

 

"Ah, I remembered. We have a break right? They're planning to go somewhere fun this friday. Are you free?" I asked Ali.

 

"Really? Can I come?"

 

"Yes, they wanted to invite you too."

 

 

Crap! I just realized what happened in this cafe in the past. This is where we saw Jules and that guy.

 

"Woah! The place is beautiful. Now I know why you like this cafe." Ali said walking towards the door.

 

I stayed behind to talk to Sam. Luckily Ethan entered the door too.

 

"Hey, I'm sorry, I totally forgot. We can still go somewhere else." I said.

 

"Come on, Alex. It's in the past, I already got over it. And, you love this cafe." She said patting my head.

 

We entered welcomed by the smell of coffee and sweets. I looked around and saw the owner of the cafe. I smiled and waved at her, she immediately recognized me.

 

"I think blonde hair would suit you." Ali said brushing my hair back. We were talking about her plans on having blonde highlights.

 

"I had my hair red in the past." I said.

 

"Really? That's pretty noticeable" Sam said.

 

"We all went to the same high school, but we just became her friends when she was in tenth grade." Ethan explained to Ali.

 

"I only had that for almost a year I think." 

 

"There's only one familiar red haired person in high school that time, an ex of a friend." Ethan said again.

 

"I told you guys, I rarely interact with people in the past." I said chuckling.

 

"You look cold in first meetings too," I glared at Ali, "No, seriously, I didn't even expected you'd remember me after Dad introduced us." She continued smiling.

 

"You're lucky, it took Lizzie weeks before she convinced Alex to hangout with us." Ethan said.

 

"Really? She was that distant?"

 

"I'm not!" 

 

"For real! But I think we're the reason why Alex is warmer now." He said grinning.

 

"Maybe I should thank you guys," She said.

 

 

"Lex, are you going home already?" Ethan asked when we went outside.

 

"No, I have to bring Ali back to campus."

 

"I can bring her back, I have training too. Can you go with Sam? Her car is in the shop." 

 

"Are you okay with that?" I asked facing Ali.

 

"Yeah, sure. I'll see you tomorrow, Aki." She waved and get into the car.

 

"What happened to your car?" I asked Sam fastening my seatbelt. 

 

"Just a regular maintenance. Sorry, I told Nic to come with me." 

 

"It's fine, I have nothing else to do anyway." I said driving. "What's the plan on friday? Do we drive on our own?" 

 

"I think so, Lizzie didn't say anything about the transportation. I can drive for us." She said, isn't she bringing Jules?

 

"It's fine, I might drive too. I invited Alicia." 

 

"Oh, okay. That's great." 

 

"Kira..." I glanced at her when I stopped on red light.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Sorry, it's nothing." She said, I started driving again.

 

"Is it still about that night? We're fine, Sam. Really. Don't worry about it anymore." I said smiling.

 

"Okay." 

 

 

"You can go home first," she removed her seatbelt. "I have to run some errands."

 

"Are you sure? Maybe your car is not ready yet."

 

"Yeah, it's all good now. My cousin owns the shop. I'll see you at campus tomorrow. Thanks, Kira." She got out of the car.

 

"Oh, by the way," she leaned down on the window staring at me, "I like the new car, it suits you."

 

"Better than my jeep?" I grinned.

 

"Hmm, just a little. I still like your jeep."