Chapter 19

Can I be her?


One last game, one last win. 

 

I continued my morning jog at the field. It's the championship game tomorrow and I'm hoping for a good condition.

 

I jog towards Lizzie when I saw her looking at me.

 

"You're early." I said.

 

"Yeah, I'm trying to catch you so you can't run away." 

 

"I'm not." I chuckled and did some streches in front of her.

 

"Breakfast?" She asked.

 

"Give me 5."

 

 

"So... what are you up to these days?" 

 

"Uhh, training?" I asked confused while drinking my juice.

 

"I know. But... aren't you too busy for just training? It's weird to not see you around. Like literally." She said.

 

"Sorry, it's the championship game. After tomorrow, you get to see me more. Don't miss me too much." I joked trying to lighten the conversation. 

 

"Will you stop avoiding us then?" I stiffened but composed myself.

 

I've thought about this. It will be more obvious if I continue doing that. 

 

"I'm not avoiding you guys." I chuckled. "I'm really just busy with stuff.. and training." 

 

"If you say so..." She looked like she still have something to say but didn't pry anymore.

 

"Are you nervous for the game tomorrow?" She asked.

 

"I'm not." I said confidently. I trust my teammates so much that I know we can get the trophy.

 

"I love the confident you. I know you'll do good." I grinned and gave her a thumbs up, she laughed and pinched my cheeks.

 

 

The cheers are getting loud because we are so close to winning this championship game, smoothly.

 

"You're doing good team! Come on!" Coach clapped her hands as we stood up again. 

 

Captain gathered us in the middle to cheer. She patted my back.

 

"They're struggling with the reception, you can utilize your fast attacks or opposites." She whispered to me, I nodded and signaled.

 

I few moments later all I can hear are the screams and confettis. We won! We got the crown back! Our other teammates ran to us and hugged us. 

 

We waited aside for the awarding after shaking hands with our opponent. It was a great game. 

 

"Lexi! Lexi! Lexi!" My teammates and other audiences chants when the awarding of best setter is stated.

 

"Jersey number 13, Collins!" I thanked the head organizer as he placed the medal on me.

 

We took pictures after the awarding. The opponent's setter also went to me to ask for a photo. My friends also went down the bench to congratulate us, even Alicia is here.

 

"Couldn't miss the most awaited win." Ali patted my back. 

 

"Congratulations, babe!" I chuckled when Kiarra back hugged me. I looked behind and saw her with Madi, Marcus and his girlfriend. 

 

"I didn't know you'll watch." I said.

 

"Of course I'll clear my schedule for my best girl!" 

 

Madi hugged me and Marcus fist bumped me, I waved at his girlfriend.

 

"Let's all go out for celebration," Lizzie suggested. "Your team's party will be held tomorrow, right?" I nodded at her. 

 

 

I sat beside Ali and introduced her to my other friends, Madi and Kiarra haven't met her before. She's friendly so they got comfortable immediately.

 

"You have so many pretty girl friends, I'm lucky." She whispered to me. 

 

"Why?" 

 

"I get to be a part of it, meaning I'm pretty too." She whispered again smugly. I pinched her sides giggling.

 

"Ugh please, stop flirting in front of me." Lizzie said. I just stuck my tongue out on her.

 

"You actually look good together." Danny suddenly said. "What? They do!" He continued when everyone looked at him, even Sam who was busy on her phone looked at him too.

 

"Ohh I know your couple name, double A." Ethan said and we laughed at him.

 

"You're so corny. I have a better one, Aki and Ali." Madi said and started to bicker with Ethan.

 

"I like that one, Aki. You already call me Ali, can I call you that?" Ali whispered again smiling. 

 

"Of course." 

 


I saw a familiar car in the parking when we were saying goodbyes. Jules must be here to pick up Sam. I walked Ali to her car to say goodbye.

 

"Drive safely." I waved.

 

Ethan draped his hand on my shoulders when I went back to them. I saw Jules on my peripheral vision, I sighed. 

 

"You gotta act natural with Sam. If you don't have plans of telling her about what's happening." He whispered.

 

"Thanks, guys. I'll see you at the campus." I hugged them all, Sam's warmth still lingering. 

 

"Hey, can I stay on your place tonight?" I asked Madi. It'll be awkward if I meet them both at our condo. I wouldn't want to be inside an elevator with them right now.

 

"Sure. Let's go." 

 



"Come on Lexi take a shot!" I drank 2 tequila shots continuously because the team kept on chanting my name.

 

I a slice of lemon to counter the bitterness. Everyone must be anticipating this party, even the coaches are getting drunk.

 

"You still good?" Polly asked slurring, I nodded at her.

 

We laughed at others who began dancing in the middle of the bar. Cap Kyla is also dancing, this is the first time we've seen her go wild she's never been out of posture.

 

The night went on and only a few of us are still sober.

 

"These kids are wild. Is it the party deprivation because of training?" I laughed and helped our assistant coach tending the members.

 

"I think you're right coach." 

 

"Did you cheat on them? You still look fine." She asked.

 

"I guess I'm on the strong side." I giggled. I went back to others that are still drinking while waiting for our bus.

 

"Let's get Alex drunk tonight!" Dina said. 

 

"You can't, I have super powers. And I'm not going to stay at the dorm tonight, I have to meet my grandma tomorrow." I said.

 

"Let's text your friends to pick you up." She suggested. Madi isn't home today, I guess I'll just ask for Lizzie.

 


 

"I think we we're in the wrong team, we should be in the dance team." Dina laughed remembering the dances earlier.

 

"Not me, though my phone died capturing all of it. They'll be embarrassed tomorrow." 

 

We stayed outside the bar waiting for my ride. I texted Lizzie and she's waiting for her boyfriend.

 

"I think we made you drunk this time."

 

"Not really, I'm just tired and sleepy from all the hapennings."

 

"Not fair, I avoided many shots to save myself from hangover and you're still fine after drinking too much." 

 

"That's not too much for me." I . Minutes later her boyfriend arrived.

 

"I thought you texted Lizzie." She then said looking behind me.

 

"I did. Why?" I looked back too only to see Sam's car pulling over. Huh? Did I sent a message to her number?

 

"I'll see you on the campus lex. Rest well." She waved at me. I stood up and walked towards Sam's car.

 

"Hey, you good?" She went down the car.

 

"Yeah.." I sat down and fastened the seatbelt. "Sorry, I thought I sent a message to Liz. I must've gotten confused."

 

"No, she texted me asking if I could pick you up." She got out of the parking.

 

"Thanks.. uhm you didn't have to. I could just catch a ride with someone. Sorry for the bother." I said. She handed me a water bottle.

 

"What? Why wouldn't I? It's better if i pick you up." 

 


I muttered thanks and closed my eyes. Her scent is more intoxicating than the alcohol in my system.

 

I wasn't prepared to be this close to her right away. I was planning to do it little by little for the next following days, and start acting like nothing ever happened. Like I didn't break my own heart a few weeks ago.

 

My eyes opened when her phone rang which was placed in the cup holder, Jules. Is this her way of telling me that Sam is hers even if she's with me physically. 

 

She ignored it and closed her screen. I leaned back and just look outside, this is the longest ride home ever. 

 

She must be starting to feel the awkward air so she opened the car stereo. But.. hell, what a great timing. 

 

I heard there was someone but I know he don't deserve you
If you were mine I'd never let anyone hurt you, no, no
I wanna dry those tears, kiss those lips
It's all that I've been thinking about
'Cause a light came on when I heard that song and I want you to sing it again

 

I was trying to conceal my emotions and the alcohol is acting up. My heart aches, did I drink too much? This song.. 

 

Won't you sing it again?
Oh, when you sing it again
Can I be him?
Oh, sing it again, yeah
Oh, when you sing it again
Can I be him?

 

I can feel my eyes burning. I can feel her glancing at me. I stretched my sleeves on my palm so I can wipe the tears immediately. But it won't stop.

 

I swear that every word you sang, you wrote 'em for me
Like it was a private show, but I know you never saw me

When the lights come on and I'm on my own
Will you be there, will you be there?
Can I be the one you talk about in all your stories
Can I be him?
Can I be him?
Can I be him?
Can I be him?

 


"I'll walk you to your door."

 

"It's fine, I'm fine." But she still went out the elevator before me. I took out the key card on my wallet.

 

I held on the knob and stopped. I feel the need to say something, but what? I glanced back at her again.

 

"Thanks, Sam.." She nodded with a gentle smile. "I.." I cleared my throat and looked down. I'll cry again if I try to talk.

 

She suddenly pulled me for a hug, a warm one. I hugged her back and burried my head on her shoulder.

 

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry." I whispered.