Chapter 16

Can I be her?


"Do all of you have a date on Valentine's day?" Lizzie asked.

 

"Is that necessary? Well, Noah surely does." Ethan said. 

 

We're chilling here at Hq I missed this place, I haven't hang around here for some time."

 

"I could have a date, lexi could too. And someone's back for Sam. So.." Danny said.

 

"What the hell Dan?" Danny just shrugged at Sam.

 

"Hey! What about me?" Lizzie said kicking danny. They started bickering again. 

 

 

My first class ended faster than I expected. Boring math class. Ali and I got out of the room to go to our next class. 

 

"Hey Alex! Can we talk for a minute?" 

 

"You can go first." Alicia nodded at me. I looked at Jules waiting for her to continue.

 

"Come on, could you atleast look not pissed off while talking to me?" She joked.

 

"What is it Jules?" 

 

"Look, you're like a sister to Az. I don't want a bad blood with you." Sister huh of course.

 

"I don't have a bad blood with you. What are you talking about?" I said.

 

"It's almost her birthday, I just want to host a party for her. I need your help to talk to your friends." 

 

"You could directly talk to Lizzie about that." I looked away.

 

"It's not like she'll agree on talking to me after.. after what happened." 

 

"Why do you think it's easier to talk to me?" 

 

"You're my cousin, of course it's lighter talking to you. But you still haven't told them that didn't you?" 

 

"You didn't either. I'll talk to Lizzie later." I walked away from her. I can hear her saying thanks.

 


"It can't be Kaleb, the board knows he's not your blood." I heard my dad say. Are they talking about work?

 

"I know, Kira is next in line. But she's too young, and I don't think my father would still consider giving us the company. It was supposed to be the oldest grand kid, Jules is a year older than Kira." Mom said. Jules the daughter of my mother's younger sister.

 

"We don't need that company, we can build our own. We can still start fresh, our restaurants are still growing. Let's start new for the kids, for Kaden." I saw them hugging each other. 

 

I think it's the inheritance that Kaden and Kaleb always talks about. He was always going home proudly telling us that he's studying and training hard for our company. 

 

It's been a year since Kaden died, it was tough for our family. They're selling our house here in berkeley and plans to stay in LA for good to grow my dad's business even more, we have a house there. I decided to stay here to continue my high school.

 

"Leah must be celebrating that she's getting the company." 

 

"You scared me Kaleb!" I whispered

 

We walked out of the house. 

 

"It's just... Kaden was working hard for that, he wanted to have it. He wanted to prove the board that he deserves to get the inheritance, for mom and for us. I'm just mad that we're losing it because of a stupid rule." Kaleb ranted. 

 

"I heard them saying that I'm too young, is it my fault Kaleb?" I innocently asked.

 

"No, of course not. They said you're to young to be given a hard responsibility. Mom and Dad just wanted you to enjoy your own life." Kaleb patted my head.

 

"Are you staying with me here?" I asked him. 

 

"I need to continue Kaden's dream, I want to. Are you really sure you'll stay here?" I nodded at him.

 

"I'm sorry if we're leaving. Promise that you're gonna take care of yourself well?" I nodded.

 

"I wanted to stay either way." He hugged me.


 

 

I sat down and texted Lizzie.

 

Me: Jules wants to throw a party for Sam. Don't wanna interact with her. 

Lizzie: I'll handle it kid. Don't text while in class!

Me: Thanks mom! :P

 

I don't hate hate her, I just hate that I was being compared to her growing up.

 

That she's good at interacting with people and it's a great start for someone who's going to inherit the business, that I should talk more and always be an A plus student, my parents don't even pressure me with that.

 

I was a shy kid, how am I supposed to talk to any of them, how am I supposed to understand everything all at once.

 


"Are you killing someone in your head?" Ali whispered beside me.

 

"No, sorry." I whispered back ang cleared my throat.

 


 

My team and I started warming up inside the court. It's our first game for the semis. We lost one of our last two games before this.

 

"Someone's missing." Dina said when we went to our positions. The game is starting.

 

"What?"

 

"Your friends, their incomplete. But they have a plus one." She said slightly pointing at the audience. 

 

I looked at them and saw my friends with Alicia, she's right Sam's not there. I heard the referee blew his whistle. Let's just focus!

 

I didn't spare a glance at my friends the whole game. This is the toughest opponent that we matched with. 

 

Sadly we lost our first game, but it's fine we can still make up for the next games. 

 

I went closer to my friends, Sam is really not here. 

 

"You still did great!" Ethan ruffled my hair. 

 

"Thanks guys." They went to say hi to someone, i think they knew some of the students from our opponent's uni.

 

"Thanks for coming Ali. Sorry I lost on the first match you watched." I said

 

"You were still amazing! It's fine I'll be watching the next. I heard Sam went to that friend she was always with. Ju something." Jules? 

 

"Did you drive? I'll be going with the team back to the dorm. Will you be fine?" I said changing the subject.

 

"Yeah, I'll see you at the campus." I also said good bye to my friends.

 

I saw a text from Sam when I got back to the dorm room. 

 

Azalea: I'm sorry Kira. I couldn't watch the game.

Me: It's fine. Don't worry about it.

Azalea: I'll make it up to you!

Me: You're not obligated to watch my games, Sam. 


I lay down on my bed, I'll just sleep this off.

 

 

Cap woke me up inviting me to eat dinner with them. I said I'll have it later. I saw a text from my brother.

 

Kaleb: I heard mom talking to someone on the phone, I think the old man was rushed to the hospital.
 

Grandpa? I washed my face and changed into my gym clothes. 

 

I entered the gym and set up on the treadmill, it's saturday so the campus gym is open. I put my airpods on and blasted some music.

 

And I see you (oh), the way I breathe you in (in), it's the texture of your skin
I wanna wrap my arms around you, baby, never let you go, oh

 

I don't even know how long I've been running.


And I say, oh, there's nothing like your touch
It's the way you lift me up, yeah
And I'll be right here with you 'til the end

I got my peaches out in Georg–

 

I removed the airpod on my left ear when I felt a presence beside me. 

 

"You're over working, you just had a match earlier." Ethan said. I continued running.

 

"I'm not. What are you doing here?" 

 

"Had some friendly swim match with the guys, I talked to someone here in the gym then I saw you." 

 

I slowed down my pace and panted.

 

"Did you meet a girl?" I . He put his hands on his pockets and leaned back on the wall.

 

"No, it's one of my team mates. What's bothering you?" He asked. I stopped and drank from my water tumbler.

 

"Nothing, I just woke up and decided to run."

 

"It's Samantha. Ever since Jules transferred here, you've been avoiding them."

 

"Is it that obvious?" 

 

"For them? I don't thinks so. I am the better observant." He smuggly said.

 

"I don't think they're getting back together." He continued. I looked at the moon outside the glass window.

 

"Why are you telling me that?"

 

"You don't hate her for hurting Sam, you just hate seeing them together. You also did that in the past, you always reasoned out when you know she's around." I looked back at him.

 

"I also hate you for stating the right thing." 

 

"I told you I'm the better observant." He grinned.

 

"Aren't you mad at me? You know that means I accepted Lizzie's offer back then so I can get closer to Sam, right?" 

 

"I don't think that's true. You got closer to Lizzie more than you think, and you still hung out with us even after finding out she has someone. Also... we're too cool for you to not think about making friends with us."

 

I defeatedly laughed at the last thing he said. I was getting serious!

 

"Still... you guys have known each other since you were kids. Then suddenly an outsider enters your circle and start liking your friend."

 

"You're not an outsider Lexi, we're bound to meet. And Sam is totally attractive, you crushing on her was inevitable." He ruffled my hair.

 

"She's stupid if she ever gets back together with her ex, after everything you've done." I looked at him questioningly. "I know you took care of her, it wasn't that obvious but she was a mess. I didn't buy that misunderstanding story. I know you were always there for her, Sam tells me everything."

 

"I was there as a friend. Did it look like I was taking advantage of it?"

 

"Absolutely not. Jules tried fixing things with her many times, but you were keeping Sam sane she's just dense."

 

"You're exaggerating! Let's go, the gym's closing." I jokingly pushed him.

 

"It's true! Come on I'll treat you to dinner."

 

Keeping her sane? What does that even mean? Silly Ethan!