Memories

Journey to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This chapter mentions the car accident that took place 4/5 years ago. I will not be using the actual name of Hye-jin's sister out of respect since the character in the story has already passed. 

Over the next few days, Yong-sun busied herself with settling the flight and details of their trip while Byul-yi tied up the loose ends of her work, making sure that it would be smooth sailing for her colleague when she isn't around.

They were both excited but nervous; they've only met twice after all, but the chemistry between them was undeniable. 

Byul-yi has never felt so at ease with a stranger, nor the feeling of serenity since the passing of her girlfriend. The void in her life that followed the tragedy is finally starting to be filled with warmth and happiness, she could finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

Some days, the the pain and guilt resurfaces and the memories still haunts her in her dreams; She'd wake up drenched in sweat and anxious. 

4 Years Ago 

Byul-yi had her life planned out. 

With the help of her childhood friend, the support of her parents and girlfriend, she opened the cafe of her dreams - MMM. 

Today, she was ready to commit the rest of her life to her significant other. Fiddling with her phone, she decided to call the other girl who was late.

"Ahn Mi-jin," Byul-yi frowns, "Where are you?"

"I'm sorry B, I got stuck at work, I'm almost there." Mi-jin responds, both hands on the steering wheel but her attention divided between the drive and the phone call. 

The younger girl sighs, not liking the fact that her girlfriend is always made to work over time, "Okay, see you soon."

"I love you." 

"I love yo-" Byul-yi's sentence was cut short by the squealing of tires and a sudden crash heard through the phone, followed by a series of loud noises, "Mi-jin?" She panics, the blood draining from her face when there was no reply, "Mi-jin! Answer me!" 

Less than an hour later, she found herself seated in the waiting room of the Emergency Department alongside Hye-jin and her family. Mi-jin's vehicle collided with a truck whilst on the phone with Byul-yi and flipped several times. When the emergency services arrived, she was found unconscious and not breathing. The paramedics attempted to resuscitate Mi-jin; they were successful with each try but Mi-jin would fall into cardiac arrest not long after each time. 

The emergency doctor walked out of the triage room, a solemn look on his face, "We tried our best but there was too much brain swelling, I'm sorry." 

Hearing that sentence, Hye-jin's mum fell to the ground sobbing, her father wrapping his arms around his wife. 

Hye-jin held on to Byul-yi with tears rolling down her cheeks while the older girl felt her world fall apart, she couldn't believe her ears. Everything around her started spinning, her vision a blur. She collasped onto her knees, one thought in her mind - It's all my fault.  

After investigations, the cause of death was ruled an accident caused by drunk driving behavior. It was determined that the accident would've taken place even if Mi-jin was not on the phone with Byul-yi - she was just at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter