The Phone Call

Crossing The Line

Joohyun’s cheeks hurt due to how much she was smiling since she got to Yeri’s moms’ barbecue party. All the adults tried to make her feel as comfortable as possible. Sooyoung’s parents told her it was nice to see her outside church activities and that they were glad that she and Sooyoung were now friends. They reassured her by telling her that they wouldn’t say a word to her parents and that if one day she wanted to talk to them she could count on them to help. Seungwan’s parents greeted her and asked her how she would like her food rather than speak about the delicate subject, which made her internally laugh because no one ever did that with her. Seulgi’s parents, however, were more intimidating to her but they tried really hard to not make her feel that way. Mrs. Kang even put pieces of meat on her plate and told her multiple times that she couldn’t believe how pretty she was. 

« Am I ugly? » Seulgi joked. 

Her mother rolled her eyes and put some meat on her plate « I gave birth to you. Don’t be jealous of your girlfriend. It’s the first time I see her up close » Joohyun blushed but Seulgi smiled brightly, happy that her girlfriend was feeling comfortable around them.

« Would you like to hear some stories from when Seulgi was a child? » Mrs. Kang offered. 

« Mom, please no » Seulgi grunted. 

« Was she as cute as she is now? » Joohyun smirked playfully. 

« I’m leaving » Seulgi got up with her plate and went toward the grill to get more food under the amused gazes of her mother and her girlfriend. 

« I’m glad she’s dating you. You are good for her » Mrs. Kang said sincerely, making Joohyun look back at her slightly surprised. 

« How do you know that? I come with a lot of baggage » 

« I know but I can feel how much you love Seulgi. Call it mother instinct or whatever. I know what’s good for my daughter when I see it. Also, Seulgi looks at you in a way I haven’t seen her look at anyone » She revealed and it made Joohyun blush even harder. 

« What are you saying to her? » Seulgi asked as she came back. 

« Everything and nothing » Her mother smirked but before Seulgi could protest Joohyun’s phone rang. 

« Sorry » She apologized. She was going to turn it off but saw it was her sister. Her breath instantly got stuck in . She wouldn’t call if it wasn’t important. She got up quickly and answered, which immediately worried Seulgi who stared at her. Her mother frowned at her daughter’s behavior and looked at Joohyun. 

« Joohyun, I’m so sorry to bother you but mom and dad know. Mom followed you on your date with Seulgi last week. She told dad and now he’s going feral » Joohyun almost dropped to her knees « Joohyun, they want to know where you are but I won’t tell them, don’t worry » Joohyun couldn’t speak. Her worst fear was happening and she was paralyzed « Joohyun? » Kyung-Mi called for her but she couldn’t answer « Joohyun, can you hear me? » 

« Joohyun? » She lifted her eyes to see Seulgi in front of her with knitted brows. She reached her hand to grab Seulgi’s shirt a bit above her heart. She needed something tangible to feel, to rely on. Her hands were shaking so much that her phone escaped her grasp. Thankfully, Seulgi caught it and hesitantly put it to her ear when she saw how pale and in shock Joohyun had become. 

« Hello? » 

« Seulgi? » 

« Kyung-Mi Unnie? » 

« Yes. Yes. Is Joohyun okay? » She inquired with evident worry. 

« I’m holding her. What’s going on? » Seulgi asked back, seeing Joohyun totally paralyzed in front of her and her mom getting up from her seat beside them.

« Our parents know » She instantly knew why Joohyun reacted that way. She tightened her grip around her as her heart clenched in fear « I won’t tell them where you are don’t worry but I’m scared for Joohyun when she’ll get back. Is it possible that she sleeps at your place tonight? They need to calm down before seeing her. I mean, as much as they can anyway » 

« Of course. I’ve got her back, don’t worry. She’ll stay as long as needed » Seulgi said and noticed they had gained everyone’s attention around the garden. 

« Thank you, Seulgi. I don’t know what else I can do in this situation » Kyung-Mi admitted, sighing sadly. 

« Is everything alright? » Mrs. Kang approached them and saw that Joohyun was on the verge of crying in Seulgi’s arms. 

Before Seulgi answered, Joohyun let out « They know » As if she was still processing it herself. Mrs. Kang frowned and turned toward Seulgi for an explanation. 

« Her parents discovered our relationship and they are not taking it well » 

« Is it them? » She pointed at the phone. 

« No » Seulgi shook her head « It’s her sister. She’s trying to stop them » 

« Give it » Her mother presented her hand. 

« What? » Seulgi frowned. 

Mrs. Kang took the phone from her hand while the other parents came closer and the girls gathered around Joohyun, putting supportive hands on her shoulders or rubbing her back gently. 

« Here’s Seulgi’s mother. You are Joohyun’s sister, right? » 

« Uhm….yes. Bae Kyung-Mi » She answered a little lost by the change on the other side of the line.

« Okay, Kyung-Mi. Can I speak to your parents? » Joohyun’s eyes snapped at her and she shook her head violently. 

« I don’t think it’s a good idea » Kyung-Mi said to support her sister’s behavior. 

« Listen, if I have a to welcome your sister into my home, I will do it. But I need to talk to them first » 

« Make them come here » Tiffany said « Let’s have a face to face » 

« Calm down, babe. We’re not going to fight them » Taeyeon took hold of her shoulders. 

« If I have to I will » She raised a fist that Taeyeon immediately put back down. 

« Hello? » A man’s voice was heard on the phone. 

« Mr. Bae, I presume? » Mrs. Kang asked calmly. Joohyun held onto Seulgi tightly when she heard her father’s name and Seulgi only tightened her hold more « I’m Kang Seulgi’s mother. I supposed you heard that name? » Mrs. Kang said calmly. 

« I sure did. I want to know where Joohyun is. We are coming to get her » 

« I’ll give you the address with pleasure, Mister Bae but don’t expect to come back with your daughter. We’re going to talk about the situation between adults » 

« We can talk but my daughter will come back with me whether you’ll like it or not. Text the address, Mrs. Kang. You don’t know who I am » 

« I definitely know, Mr. Bae. You’re a man who would prefer to keep good appearance rather than see your daughter happy » With that, she hung up. 

« What did he say? Are they coming here? No, they can’t. They’ll take me away and I’ll never see Seulgi again…nor all of you. I…. » Joohyun freaked out, getting out of Seulgi’s grasp. 

« Joohyun! Joohyun, it’s okay » Mrs. Kang tried to calm her « They won’t take you away I promise » 

« You have all of us » Mr. Kang agreed. 

« No, you don’t understand » Joohyun half-sobbed « My dad is powerful. He is part of the government. He has connections. We can’t do anything » 

« We can » Mrs. Shon intervened « I know your family very well. Joohyun, you thought you were standing alone in front of them but you are not alone. You have us all to face them and we won’t let you go » She promised. 

Joohyun’s tears streamed down her face as her heart warmed, thankful that she had found people in her life that were willing to fight for her. A hand slipped inside hers and she looked up to meet Seulgi’s warm and caring eyes. Maybe she had a chance, right? 

 

 

______________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed? See you next week for the confrontation. Take care of yourselves in the meantime <3

-J