Epilogue Pt2: My Future

Crossing The Line

Joohyun’s heart was beating so hard that she thought she would have a heart attack at that moment. The music was resonating through her body as she jumped up and down, perspiration running down her face. 

In front of her, Yeri was going even harder, waving her flag left and right to the point that it became a blur of colors. She remembered discovering the picture on Seulgi’s wall that disgusted her so much at the beginning. It made her laugh. She was so stupid. Now, she had those colors on her cheeks and was holding her girlfriend’s hand proudly. She looked at her side where Seulgi was chanting happily. She turned her head toward her and her eye-smile appeared. The eye-smile Joohyun had so much internal conflict over since she had first seen it. She thought she hated it but truth was, she had fallen for it in a second. And in the middle of that crowd, it was the thing that she loved the most. She pulled Seulgi toward her and put her lips against hers. Seulgi smiled against her lips as she wrapped her arms around her waist. It felt so good to love and be loved.

-

The festivities came to an end for them when the sun was saying its goodbye. Most of the crowd went to bars and clubs but they got back to their car still buzzing with energy. 

« Hydrate yourselves » Mrs. Kang handed them bottles of water « I have some almonds if you want something before we reach home » She dug in her bag as they all took place in the van. 

« It was so much fun this year » Sooyoung remarked. 

« That’s because there was more of us » Seulgi said while looking at Joohyun with a soft smile. 

« How was your first pride, Mrs. Bae? » Taeyeon asked, gently putting a coat over her wife’s shoulders. 

« I think it was the most fun I had in my life » She giggled. 

Joohyun smiled to herself, her heart light to witness her family finally accepting who she was. Seulgi’s hand intertwined with hers and their eyes met. Her heart skipped a beat yet again, it was a feeling so familiar now and she wished to feel it for the rest of her life. She wished her feelings for Seulgi will never diminish, that their love would last until her last breath would come. 

They reached the Kangs’ house and the smell of the barbecue welcomed them, making them salivate. Mr. Kang, Mr. Shon, Mr. Park, and Mr. Bae were discussing while grilling some meat. 

« Just in time » Mrs. Shon said when she saw them « Everything is ready » 

« I’m starving! » Yeri rushed to get a plate. 

« Don’t eat too much sugar! » Tiffany went after her, making them laugh. 

Mr. Bae made his way to his wife and daughter « How was your day? » 

« Amazing » Mrs. Bae wrapped her arms around Joohyun, which surprised her. She still wasn’t used to this amount of physical contact « I never had that much fun. You should come next year » 

« Maybe I will » He shyly smiled before looking at his daughter « You had fun too? » 

Joohyun nodded. It felt surreal to her that her parents got that close to her, but not only her, of her siblings too. 

« I’m starving! » Hyun-Woo took a big spoonful of rice and shoved it in his mouth as if he hadn’t eaten in days. 

« How much green stuff did you smoke? » Kyung-Mi whispered to him, making sure their parents didn’t hear their conversation. 

« Not much » Hyun-Woo shrugged, taking a big bite out of his steak. 

Kyung-Mi pinched the bridge of her nose « Sure but please, remember your manners » She threw him a bunch of napkins. 

Joohyun chuckled seeing them from afar and looked at her parents going to get food. Her mother was holding her father’s arm and they smiled at each other as they talked. That was new too and Joohyun couldn’t be prouder of being true to who she was and having fought to be herself openly. It didn’t only change her, it changed her family….for the better. 

« What are you thinking about? » 

She turned her head to see Seulgi staring at her « I’m happy » She simply replied. Seulgi smiled at her and intertwined their fingers. 

« I’m happy that you are » She told her. 

« Are you too? » Joohyun questioned and Seulgi chuckled. 

« Happy isn’t enough to describe it » She revealed with shiny eyes and Joohyun hugged her « I love you, Joohyun » 

« I love you, Seul » 

The day after, Seulgi replaced her previous pride picture on her wall with the one that they had taken the previous day. There were more people in that one and….they were all happy. 

 

______________________________________________________

 

« Who should go next? » The teacher scanned the list of students « Uhm….let’s go with….Bae Joohyun » 

Joohyun gulped as she stood up and made her way to the front of the class. She locked eyes with Seulgi as she did and her girlfriend gave her an encouraging smile. She relaxed a bit and faced the other student. 

« So, Joohyun, tell us how you see your future » The teacher told once again the assignment. 

Joohyun took a deep breath, glancing a the paper in her hands « I don’t know what the future will be like » The teacher frowned and the class raised questioning eyebrows but Joohyun continued « No one knows. The truth is, we can only wish what it could be like. We can only project our deepest dreams so….When I’m thinking about my ideal future, I imagine myself in front of a giant canvas. I have paint on myself but it doesn’t matter because my passion became my job. I’m selling or exposing my paintings and living comfortably from it but….I also…I….My girlfriend would bring me my morning coffee » Everyone’s jaw dropped at her confession. Joohyun was not out yet at school, even if there were rumors. Yeri was smirking proudly at the back. Sooyoung and Seungwan looked at one another surprised but happy and Seulgi….well, heart-eyes wasn’t enough to describe how she was looking at her. Joohyun got butterflies and cleared « We would live together and be happy with what we got. Maybe…if it’s possible we could get married…have children. I…don’t know » She smiled shyly « That’s what I hope my future would be like, just filled with happiness » She met Seulgi’s eyes. She wished it would be the sight she woke up to in the morning and the last image she see before falling asleep. She wished Seulgi’s house was her house, that her house would be Seulgi’s. She wished they would be each other’s home. She tasted happiness and she didn’t want to let go of it. 

She smiled. 

Seulgi had invaded her mind since she first saw her and she crossed the line that separated them to feel the most complete. Her feelings for her, once misguided, became a storm of colors that made her see the most beautiful things and she knew, deep in her heart, that the adventure alongside her had just begun. 

 

_______________________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! I shed tears as I finished this chapter :( but looking back I’m very happy I wrote it. I hope you had a great time on this journey with me :) Thank you for reading it and for your nice comments along the way. I will never forget <3 

For those interested, I’m planning a new mini AU for Dreamcatcher based on their Deja Vu MV. So…see you in two weeks if you want :) 

As always, take care of yourselves. Happy Pride Month. And be happy <3

-J