Unexpected Visitor

Crossing The Line

« Why the hell did you talk to Joohyun? » Seulgi burst out when she met Seungwan and her other two friends at their lockers the next morning. Seungwan glanced around, seeing that despite Seulgi’s outburst no student cared to even spare a glance their way. They just passed by them in the wide hallway, only focused on where they needed to be on their first period. She looked back at Seulgi, sighing. 

« You know why » 

« You had no rights » Seulgi said through gritted teeth « I was finally getting through her. I was RIGHT THERE » She growled, frustrated. 

« Are you seeing yourself right now? » Seungwan frowned « You’re losing control. And you know it. I don’t want to see her destroy you, Seul » 

« So what? » Seulgi scoffed « Am I supposed to let her deal with this alone? You remember how scary it is, but we had each other back then. She’s all alone. Just like… » She stopped, not able to continue but the girls knew where her thoughts had gone. It was a painful thought for them all. 

« You’re a good person Seul » Seungwan said « but… » 

« Don’t! » Seulgi raised her index finger, frustrated to have to fight with her best friend on this. 

« Seul, take a deep breath » Sooyoung put a gentle hand on her shoulder. The said girl did as told before she raised her gaze toward them again and the three girls could see the determination, the ache, and the glint of hope in her eyes. They knew that whatever they could say wouldn’t stop her from helping Joohyun. 

« Bear? » Yeri caught her attention « Don’t lose yourself, please » She gave her big eyes that no one could resist. Seulgi sighed, closing her eyes.

« I’m sorry, Yer. I…uh…I need to do it. I….can’t…. » She didn’t know how to explain what she felt. All her mind could focus on was Joohyun. She was haunted by the pain in her eyes. She hadn’t slept that night. All of their moments together scrolled through her mind like a movie. She knew she could help her. And she was involved now. Her feelings were also very involved. Either way, she could get hurt, so she might as well go all the way. Seungwan was probably right but she was ready for whatever would happen. 

« Maybe we can help? » Her eyes snapped at Yeri who had just expressed the proposal. The couple next to her questioned her with their eyes as well « Okay, hear me out » She raised her hand in front of her and led them to a much calmer hallway « What if we help her together? » The three girls looked at one another surprised and confused as she continued her thought « That way Seulgi keeps helping her because we know she won’t stop, and we’ll be by her side to make sure she won’t get hurt in the process » The girls’ thought about it for a moment. It was a big decision to let this stranger into their group, especially one that might cause trouble « If Bear says that she’s a good person, we can at least give it a shot. She can’t be that much of an  » 

« That…seems reasonable » Sooyoung agreed, turning toward Seungwan who had her lips pursed in thought. Seulgi was also staring at her, hoping that her decision wouldn’t drive a wedge between them.

« On one condition » Seungwan spoke, turning toward Seulgi with a serious expression « No lies. No omissions » 

« Deal » A small smile appeared on Seulgi’s face as they reconciled. 

« I’m a genius » Yeri patted herself on the shoulder which gained their laughter « So how do we do this though? She won’t trust us immediately. She still has trouble with Seulgi » She stated. 

« I’ll try to speak to her privately today but with all the possible eyes on us, it’s gonna be tough. She still has trouble with that and…I don’t want to out her to the whole school. I already feel guilty that I told you guys » 

« You didn’t. We guessed » Sooyoung corrected her « We can tell her that if you want » 

« Nah. It’s alright » She sighed. 

« Maybe we can invite her to our pajama party? » Yeri came up with another idea « That way it’s just us. She might open up better in a private setting » She shrugged. 

« That’s worth the shot » Sooyoung agreed « It’ll be awkward at first because we don’t know each other but that’s how we make friends, right? »  

« You think she’ll accept? » Seungwan asked Seulgi who was nervously chewing her bottom lip. 

« I’ll try to convince her » She sighed, not sure at all if Joohyun would accept to pass time with them all but she would try anyway. 

« Don’t be hard on yourself if you fail » Seugwan told her thoughtfully, putting a reassuring hand on her shoulder. Seulgi nodded absentmindedly, already thinking of her next move with Joohyun. 

-

Joohyun had managed to avoid her all day long. Seulgi had run, climbed many stairs, and even found herself in the wrong places just to be able to exchange a glance with her. But Joohyun was a smart woman and Seulgi was exhausted. So, after the last period, she had had enough. She was determined more than ever and also a little angry. She waited in the shadows like a goddamn psychopath for its prey. Joohyun emerged from the corner where she waited and she didn’t lose any second to grab her. Unfortunately, Joohyun was strong and when surprised, she attacked. Seulgi received a punch in the guts that forced her to release her hold on her. Joohyun’s eyes widened as she saw who her attacker was but it only made her run away faster. Seulgi was left groaning, bent over and holding her stomach. How was she supposed to get to her if she got punched? Getting hurt sure had a new physical implication now. 

-

Nonetheless, Seulgi tried the next day, but yet again, Joohyun avoided her all day. She thought all day of what she could do to gain her trust again and eventually, right in a middle of a boring class, it came to her. She instinctively stood up, too excited to have found a solution to notice her movement. She clenched her fist in victory with a grin. 

« Miss Kang, can I help you? » The teacher got her out of her thoughts and she froze.

« Uhm… » She quickly sat back « Sorry, I had a leg cramp » 

The teacher sighed heavily « Do you want to go to the infirmary? » 

« No. No » Seulgi vigorously shook her head « It’s alright now » She slumped on her seat, her face red from all the attention. One thing she was happy about was that Joohyun wasn’t in that class with her. 

-

« Can you please give this to Bae Joohyun » 

The mention of the name made Joohyun’s mother and sister exchange puzzled looks as they walked toward the entrance of the residence after their pilates class on that late Wednesday afternoon. They headed toward the guard’s little cabin to find him conversing with a girl Joohyun’s age whose voice had reached them seconds prior. His eyes snapped toward them and he hurriedly bowed at them. The young woman turned to face them in confusion. 

« Do you have something to give to my daughter, young lady? » Joohyun’s mother asked politely, giving her a once over. 

Seulgi’s eyes widened and she bowed as well « I….uh… » It took her a few seconds to remember the lie she had come up with, even if it was originally destined only for the guard « I’m…Kang Seulgi, Joohyun’s…new literature partner for a project » She stuttered « I have a few notes that…I would like to submit to her » She gulped, holding tightly the envelope in her hands. Kyung-Mi raised an intrigued eyebrow, already suspecting a possible lie. But Joohyun’s mother…

« Oh, dear! » She chuckled « Why don’t you go see her directly. These things are better discussed than being put on paper » She gestured at her to follow them. 

« No » Seulgi smiled out of politeness, trying to hide her evident nervousness. The oldest woman stopped with a frown « I…uh…I don’t want to disturb…It can wait if… » 

« Nonsense, dear » She waved off « You’re already here and school is very important. Whatever Joohyun is doing, I’m sure it can wait » 

Seulgi couldn’t find any way to deflect the proposal and in a way, it was kind of a good thing. She could finally confront Joohyun without her running away. Nonetheless, she didn’t like to invade her personal space. She’ll make it brief if it was needed. She followed them, hands in her pockets, and her gaze on the ground. She glanced to the side, suddenly feeling uneasy, and found Joohyun’s sister staring at her with squinted eyes. She diverted her gaze back to the ground, gulping. Joohyun had a very intimidating sister. She needed to lay low, her family couldn’t suspect the real reason of her presence.

She was in awe when she saw Joohyun’s house…or rather, mansion. The place seemed straight out of an architecture magazine. It was grand and stylish. Seulgi felt intimidated by such a place. 

« Joohyun! » Her mother called once they passed the front door « Kyung-Mi, go tell your sister Miss…uh…Kang, right? » Seulgi nodded « Tell her Miss Kang is here » The oldest daughter rolled her eyes in annoyance but climbed the stairs nonetheless. Seulgi was left awkwardly standing in the hall while a maid was taking Mrs. Bae’s coat off. Seulgi exchanged a bow with her before she withdrew herself into the belly of the mansion. Mrs. Bae continued to observe her with interest, already concluding that, by her behavior, the young woman wasn’t used to this level of comfort. 

« So… » She got her full attention « Are you friends with Joohyun? » 

-

Kyung-Mi strolled down the hallway and entered her sister’s room without bothering to knock « There’s something for you downstairs » She told her before even locking eyes with her. Joohyun was sitting on her bed with her laptop on her lap and as soon as she had entered, she shut it, which obviously piqued Kyung-Mi’s interest. Her sister had been behaving weirdly lately. More secretive and shifty. Especially after the hickey incident.   

« If it’s for a package, Mom can sign. She knows this » Joohyun replied, annoyed. 

« It’s one of your schoolmates. Apparently for a literature project » Kyung-Mi crossed her arms over her chest nonchalantly. Joohyun frowned in confusion. What project? Did she miss something? Who was in literature class with her? Before she could think about it, Kyung-Mi smirked. Joohyun’s confusion confirmed that Seulgi’s reason to visit was fake « A certain Kang Seulgi » She watched intently her reaction and Joohyun’s eyes widened, almost out of their sockets. She rapidly put her laptop away, making it bounce on the bed, and bolted past her. She snorted and her eyes landed on the closed laptop. She raised an eyebrow in interest.

 

____________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! 

Hope you enjoyed?

See you next week :) 

-J