Story of Love

Crossing The Line

The girls began eating their pizzas, quietly watching Yeri’s moms expectantly. Joohyun was awaiting their life-tell with a lot of interest. If these two women could fall in love and conquer other’s judgment at a more conservative time, she surely could find the strength within herself to love herself and to find happiness and love. She briefly glanced at Seulgi who was taking a bit off her slice of pepperoni pizza and smudged a bit of sauce on her lips. She bite her inner cheek to suppress her smile. She looked back Yeri’s moms to not make it obvious to anyone who would look at her. 

« I was born in the US » Tiffany began to tell them « and when I was 16, my parents told me we had to go back to South Korea because of my dad’s work. Of course, I didn’t want to. My whole life was there and I had never been to South Korea. Also from what I knew, it was a very conservative country. We had to wear uniforms in school and all…and I was a FREE GIRL » She said the last words in perfect English, which made them chuckle. 

« Free girl! » Taeyeon mocked her way of talking before taking a bite of her pizza. Tiffany lightly pushed her shoulder, laughing. 

« Anyway….I arrived in Seoul reluctantly and my parents enrolled me in school. I was very unhappy that they chose a traditional Korean school but the very first week I heard about Kim Taeyeon » She turned to her wife with heart-eyes « Three guys from our school used to make nasty comments to her for years and she never reacted, but that day they became a bit…demanding physically, if you know what I mean » The girls nodded in disgust « Well, Tae didn’t let them put a finger on her. She beat them up to the pulp » 

« I just got my black belt in Taekwondo at the time. I had to put it to good use » Taeyeon shrugged.

« As you should have, Mama » Yeri gave her a proud thumb up, making her mother laugh. 

« A week later, after much talk, I saw her enter the classroom with a cast from her wrist up to her elbow. She looked very badass » Tiffany smiled at her wife, putting a loving hand on her thigh before turning her attention back on the girls « However, we didn’t talk to each other until a few days later » She paused, trying to remember exactly when it happened. 

« Five days » Taeyeon said precisely « Tiffany was hard to miss. She was beautiful and the way she wore her uniform was very unique » She looked at her embarrassed wife affectionately « She was wearing a pink bow, which wasn’t part of the dress code and she got in trouble multiple times for it »

« It was my way to express my individualism » Tiffany countered cutely « And you liked it » Taeyeon nodded, raising an eyebrow. Joohyun smiled seeing how much they were so affectionately open toward each other. There wasn’t any shame present in them; about who they were nor about their love. They loved each other, they were two women, and that was it. As simple as that. They were unapologetic about it and it made Joohyun want to be able to feel that way. 

« She approached me in the yard during a break and handed me some of her notes » Taeyeon continued.

« It was the perfect excuse to get close to her. I told her I could share my notes with her since she had a cast, and she warmed up to me » Tiffany smiled, bumping her shoulder against Taeyeon’s. 

« She wouldn’t leave me alone but I liked it » Taeyeon confessed, making Joohyun smile at their softness « We became best friends even if we secretly began crushing on each other » 

« You didn’t confess? » Joohyun asked them both and they shook their heads. 

« We were too scared that it wouldn’t be reciprocated. And at the time, it definitely was very taboo » Tiffany said « But….high school was about to come to an end and I was going to college while Taeyeon was going to work with her parents. I thought that we would drift apart and that eventually we wouldn’t see each other so I…took the chance » 

« On the last day of school » Taeyeon reminisced with a smile « She asked me out for a simple dinner together. I never thought she was going to go there. And truthfully, I wouldn’t have because I convinced myself that she didn’t like me the way I did. So imagine my shock when she nervously told me that she liked me as more as a friend » 

« I thought she was disgusted » Tiffany snorted « She became so pale and sat there completely still. I thought I broke her » 

« Could you blame me? A beautiful girl telling me she was in love with me. Of course, I lost my mind » Taeyeon told them. 

« Come on, tell them what you did after » Yeri hurried them. 

« She grabbed my hand. Paid for the food and led in an alley outside » Tiffany put her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder, putting an affectionate hand on her thigh once again « Then, she hugged me. Now, I was the one in shock. She whispered that she was in love with me as well and…she kissed me » ‘Awww’s filled the room and even Joohyun reacted that way. Tiffany and Taeyeon blushed a little and Joohyun could feel butterflies in her stomach « We kept our relationship a secret for 3 years before our parents were too insistent about marriage. We told my parents first and they didn’t really see it from a good eye at first and kept asking questions about our future but after a month they wanted Taeyeon and I to come to dinner » 

« My parents took a bit longer to accept Seungwan » Sooyoung sighed and Seungwan wrapped her hand over her waist protectively. Joohyun vividly remembered the time it spread out like wildfire at church. Her parents had asked the priest for advice and he talked to Sooyoung but the girl hadn’t let anyone change her mind. She stopped coming to church because of everyone’s dirty eyes on her. Joohyun was now ashamed that she had been one of them. But Sooyoung was standing for herself, chin up, and began to educate her parents. Eventually, they stopped praying for her soul and accepted that being different didn’t make her unworthy of the love of God. Joohyun hand’t understand at first, like many at their church, but now she did. She wasn’t any less than others just because she loved the same . She wasn’t doomed, and seeing how Yeri’s  mother were happy, it made her convictions stronger. 

« My parents took a lot of time as well » Taeyeon sympathized with Sooyoung « They didn’t take the news well. They stopped talking to me for two months. When they got back to me, they tried to reason me, saying that I could never get married, I could never have children, but I told them that I found the person I wanted to live with for the rest of my life and it didn’t matter if she was a woman or that we wouldn’t have a life like other couples had » 

« But we actually kind of have » Tiffany pointed out. 

« We do » Taeyeon nodded « Since Fany is also American, we got married there and two years later, we started the process to get pregnant » 

« We found a donor that had a lot in common with Taeyeon. So that way, Yeri has a bit of the both of us » She smiled lovingly at her daughter. 

« Was it always Tiffany who was supposed to get pregnant? » Seungwan asked them.

« Yeah » Taeyeon nodded « Pregnancy terrifies me. If we wanted to get pregnant, Tiffany had to be the one to carry our child. We also thought about adoption but as a lesbian couple we weren’t allowed » 

« You are amazing parents, that’s bull » Yeri spat and the two looked at her « Sorry, that’s crap » She corrected, making our mothers and her friends chuckle. 

« I hope that South Korea will allow us to get married and have children in the near future » Sooyoung took Seungwan’s hands in hers « Otherwise, we’re going to Canada » The two adult nodded sympathetically. After a moment of silence, Taeyeon put some pieces of pizza in a plate.

« Well, kids… » She got up and helped her wife up « The moms are going to let you be. Enjoy your night and don’t scream too much » 

« Also don’t eat too much snacks » Tiffany said, posting at the bag near the TV where Joohyun could see was full of American snacks « Don’t get sick…..but if you are, come get us, okay? » The girls all nodded as Tiffany and Taeyeon exited the room « And get your trash downstairs » 

« Yes, mom » Yeri laughed as their steps were heard on the stairs. She immediately turned toward Joohyun « Do you like horror movies, Joohyun? » She asked and the said girl’s eyes widened. Horror movies were definitely something she didn’t enjoy but she tried to remain polite.

« I….uh….not really » 

« Wait, we’re watching an horror movie? » Sooyoung’s brows knitted. Yeri smirked as she took the tv remote. All eyes snapped on the projector’s screen where it quickly switched from the paused screen of the video game to a streaming platform where Yeri navigated with ease, locating the movie she had sneakily researched beforehand « Oh, hell no! » Sooyoung virulently shook her head when it paused on the movie’s page « Do you want me to have a heart attack, Kim Yerim? » 

« Oh, come on! Don’t be overdramatic, it’ll be fun » 

-

That’s how they found themselves, thirty minutes later, in the dark and with a lot of unwrapped sugary snacks. They had installed themselves on air mattresses against the couch and covered themselves with giant blankets. Seungwan was cuddling Sooyoung who was half-hiding in her neck from the paranormal horror appearing on the screen. Next to them was Yeri who was practically using Seulgi’s arm as a shield and on the other side of her was Joohyun who was reminiscing on her entire life choices as she avoid putting her gaze on the screen. She was also staying at a small distance from Seulgi. Even if the other girl assured her that she wasn’t getting hurt by her, she couldn’t help but think that the closer she got to her the easier it would be for it to happen. And she didn’t want that to happen. A sudden loud music in the movie startled her out of her thoughts and she shrank under the blankets. 

« If you want you can hide behind my arm » Seulgi whispered, offering her arm. Their eyes met and Joohyun felt her heartbeat accelerate. She really wanted to but….Seulgi didn’t wait for an answer, knowing all too well that she would reject her out of fear, and got closer to her « It’s getting scarier, I wouldn’t want you to get a heart attack » She joked lightly and Joohyun’s nostrils were invaded by her scent. She tried to control herself but her fingers wrapped around Seulgi’s forearm just in time to escape the jump-scare on screen.

 

__________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter? 

See you next week :) And for those who are celebrating, Merry Christmas <3

-J