Ready, Set, Speak

Crossing The Line

Both girls woke up in a jolt when Seulgi’s alarm went off. It was unpleasant for both, however, when their eyes met they were glad to have woken up. They didn’t talk, they didn’t need to because their eyes did it all for them. Seulgi was the first to take the bathroom as Joohyun stretched in bed. A sudden thought came to her mind that made her smile. She could get used to wake up this way, next to Seulgi, in this room. She sat up and shook her head. She was getting way ahead of herself. 

They took a quick breakfast and Seulgi drove them to school. They were at peace. Joohyun watched the scenery pass by and wondered if the colors had always been this bright. It was almost like discovering a new world. Everything seemed livelier. Even her heart was beating differently. 

Seulgi parked and they got inside their school up to Seulgi’s locker. When Yeri saw them arrive, she lightly slapped repeatedly Seungwan and Sooyoung who turned around and looked at them in the same shocking way she did. 

« Did you guys arrive together? » Sooyoung couldn’t hold it as soon as they arrived at their level. 

« Yes, Joohyun stayed the night at my house… » Immediately, eyebrows shot up. 

« My siblings found out » Joohyun revealed and their eyes widened even more. 

« Oh my…Are you okay? » Yeri asked with concern. 

Joohyun shrugged « I kind of had a mental breakdown but I feel ready to affront them again now » She glanced at Seulgi, thankful to have her by her side. Seulgi sent her a small warm smile that didn’t escape Seungwan who was right next to her. 

« What happened exactly? How did they find out? » Sooyoung questioned, more worried than curious. 

« They saw me getting out of Seulgi’s car and they went through her Instagram » Joohyun sighed. 

« They saw the pride picture » Seulgi interjected, making the three girls gasp « But they think we’re dating so the plan changed. We’re faking it » 

« You’re gonna fake to date each other » Seungwan repeated slower and the two nodded at her. She looked at Seulgi with a frown. She was suspicious that there was nothing to fake in this relationship. Of course, they weren’t really dating but the feelings were there. It was blinding like the sun in the middle of the desert. She knew where this was leading to and she didn’t know if she should laugh or be nervous. However, the bell interrupted them. 

« You have biology with Mrs. Shin too Joohyun, right? » Yeri asked and Joohyun nodded « Great, you’ll finish explaining on the way » She linked one arm with Sooyoung and the other with Joohyun « See you at lunch, nerds » She said to Seungwan and Seulgi. Joohyun locked eyes with Seulgi as she was dragged away and both could feel they had one another’s back. Seungwan let Seulgi watch them walk away for a moment. She knew her best friend was in love, it was more than obvious to her. They had known each other for so long that words weren’t needed.

« So…. » She gained her best friend’s attention « How do you feel? » She asked as they began to walk in direction of their classroom « Are you okay with the whole fake-dating? And how was it that she stayed the night? » Seulgi sighed by her side. 

« You should have seen how she was yesterday » She remembered how painful it had been to see how broken she was « It was hard to witness. She ran away from them but her sister DMed me… » 

« What? » Seungwan half-screamed. 

« Joohyun didn’t answer her phone and she wanted to know if she was safe » She explained « They made a deal to have a talk after school today » 

« Oh ! Are you going? » 

« No, Joohyun wants to handle it herself. I think she’s also scared that they would hurt me » She shrugged. 

« Would they? » Seungwan began to worry. 

« I don’t think so. They’ll probably make Joohyun cut all ties with me but I don’t think I should worry about my safety » Seungwan nodded, a little reassured but she’ll nonetheless stay vigilant for Seulgi. 

« How does she feel about today? She must be a nervous wreck inside » She thought back to how Joohyun behaved minutes ago. She appeared calm but what was inside was often different than appearances. 

« She built strength. I think that because she has us she knows that she has an emergency plan. We’ll be here for her if she needs a safety net » 

« Just say you’re ready to have her in your arms » Seungwan couldn’t help herself but to best friend and Seulgi rolled her eyes. They entered their music classroom and took their seats. 

« Well, I… » She hesitated to say what else happened between her and Joohyun because she knew Seungwan would make a big deal out of it « Never mind, you’ll freak out » 

« Girl, it’s too late. Spill the beans » Seungwan hurried her to reveal, leaning toward her. Seulgi took a deep breath. 

« I kissed Joohyun » Seungwan’s jaw dropped « And she kissed me back. I couldn’t stop myself, okay. It was too…. » The classroom door closed with a loud bang and their teacher asked for their full attention. 

« You better give me the details later » Seungwan whispered, sitting back up straight on her chair but Seulgi didn’t even know how to answer her. There was so much to say but also, her feelings were all over the place and hard to decipher. But she decided that for the time being she’ll have to focus on class and shut her mind that was way too loud. 

-

They all met back at lunch and Joohyun naturally sat with them. It raised some eyebrows around them but neither the girls nor Joohyun cared. Joohyun actually stopped caring about what people thought as soon as her siblings discovered her secret. And she didn’t care if people questioned her uality since she was close to the group. It made her realize how far she had come. Her internalized homophobia was agonizing under the weight of her proudness. 

After school, Seugwan and Seulgi were waiting in front of the latter’s car. Joohyun joined them a minute before Sooyoung and Yeri. Joohyun occupied the passenger seat while the couple and Yeri were in the backseat. Seulgi stopped in front of Joohyun’s residential area and looked anxiously at her. 

« Are you still okay with going alone? » She asked softly. Joohyun met her eyes and nodded with determination. 

« Never been more ready in my life » 

« Good but just in case, my moms wouldn’t mind having you over and beating your siblings’ asses in the process » Yeri told her. Joohyun chuckled and the others followed, seeing how she seemed to be alright. 

« I’ll text you as soon as I finish talking with them » She promised. « Texting? No, you got to call, friend. That’s a conversation that needs to be vocal » Sooyoung protested. 

« I’ll call then » Joohyun smiled. She turned back toward Seulgi who appeared more nervous than she was « I’ll be fine » She said. Seulgi sighed but gave her a supportive nod. 

« I’ll be ready if you need to get picked up » 

« Thanks, Seul » Joohyun melted inside. She looked once last time at the girls in the backseat before exiting the car. She waved at them and locked eyes with Seulgi, assuring her silently that she’ll handle the situation and that she would be strong. Seulgi sent her a small smile before driving away. Joohyun took a deep breath, turning toward her house. Nervousness set in her body. That’s only when she twisted the doorknob that she realized how terrified she truly was. But the smell on Seulgi’s sweater was enough to bring her the will to fight for herself. 

« Joohyun, we’re in the living room » The calm voice of Kyung-mi welcomed her. Joohyun tensed and after taking a deep breath she walked into the living room. Hyun-woo was sat on the couch and Kyung-mi was next to it, arms crossed over her chest. « There she is! » Hyun-woo chuckled when he saw his sister « Are you going to run away this time? I haven’t stretched yet » He smirked and Joohyun rolled her eyes. She hated his cocky attitude so much. 

 

« Shut up, Woo » Kyung-mi grunted, slapping the back of his head. He groaned but stayed quiet. Kyung-mi’s eyes haven’t left Joohyun since she got in though and Joohyun couldn’t stand the tension any longer. 

« I’m a lesbian. You are right » She blurted out « I’ve been dating Kang Seulgi for a year now. I love her. She loves me. And there’s nothing you can do about it. You can tell Mom and Dad for all I care, I’ll move out this goddamn house and live my best life away from you s » She took a deep inhale after her rant. Hyun-woo was staring at her with wide eyes but Kyung-mi’s expression didn’t change. Despite having let out what she had on her chest, Joohyun grew increasingly nervous due to her unchanging state. 

« Do you truly love her? » 

Joohyun was definitely not prepared for that question. Even Hyun-woo turned to his older sister with a frown. But Kyung-mi remained emotionless, waiting for Joohyun’s answer. 

« I do » She answered with all her heart, soul, and being. 

 

____________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter? 

See you next week :)

-J