Fall Asleep Next to Me

Crossing The Line

Joohyun was drawing on her canvas the outline of her painting when she decided she had processed her talk with her siblings and was calm enough to call Seulgi and the girls. She dialed Seulgi first and put her phone on speaker next to her while she continued drawing. 

« Hey! » She heard Seulgi’s kind yet worried voice « Do you need a getaway car? » 

« Actually, no » She chuckled, feeling grateful nonetheless that Seulgi was ready to go to such an extent for her « It went surprisingly well. I….They used to scare me but in an instant, it completely changed my vision of them » 

« I’m so happy to hear that » Joohyun could imagine her eye-smile as she said it and it made her smile as well « Should we invite the others to the conversation or do you want to talk to me for a bit? Yeri is making the group chat explode since we all got home » 

« Oh really? » It made Joohyun feel warm inside to know that someone, else than Seulgi, was carrying enough to be worried about her « It’s okay. We can get everyone » 

« I’ll make them join the call » Seulgi said. Seconds later, three voices shouted impatiently their worries. Joohyun chuckled at such a sweet display of love « Guys! Guys! » Seulgi yelled, her voice barely reaching above them. Nonetheless, she managed to shut them up « Let Joohyun explain, please »

« Ok » was their simple answer and then it was complete silence. Joohyun took a deep breath, knowing it was time to reveal everything that happened since she left the car. So she did. Slowly and with probably more details than necessary but she didn’t want to leave anything out. Also, talking about it made her process the conversation in a better way. It amazed her once again how in a matter of minutes her perception of her siblings completely changed. They were different, yes, but they were also in the same situation. They just stranded away, unable to properly communicate. They made mistakes but they made the first step toward one another now. She didn’t know how it will be in the future but now there was hope.

« Wow! » Sooyoung let out after she finished « It’s hard to believe that the people I met at church had this kind of secret life » She said in disbelief « But I guess no one is what they let others to see » 

« I guess, yeah » Joohyun agreed. 

Suddenly, they heard Yeri’s moms inaudibly talk and their daughter replied « Everything went well. You can put the boxing gloves away » 

« What? » Seulgi questioned, confused. 

« Oh, nothing. It’s just that my moms were ready to take Joohyun in and beat her family if they hurt her » 

« That’s…uh…very kind » Joohyun got suddenly emotional despite the funny situation. How were there so many people who cared that much about her? She was so touched that she wished she could go inside the phone to hug them. 

« Anyway… » Yeri moved on « Is Seul really going to meet your siblings? » 

« I would never ask. I know we talked about the fake-dating but that’s too much. Plus, now that everything is alright we don’t really need to, right? I think… » 

« I don’t mind » Seulgi cut her off and there was silence once again. Joohyun blinked repeatedly, wondering if she heard correctly what she had just said. Even their friends were stunned by what she had just said. Seulgi took a deep breath on the other side, cursing herself that she had let it accidental out loud « I mean…If that’ll appease them and it will bring you some peace at home I’m more than okay with it » She cleared awkwardly. 

« I… » Joohyun didn’t know how to answer to that. It gave her tingles inside though. That’s all she could say. 

« Well, maybe you’re is right » Seungwan said « Maybe they won’t care if you tell them the truth but it could help if your parents ever find out » 

« Yeah, I guess » Sooyoung agreed and the others thought so as well. 

But Seungwan had a hidden agenda. She knew Seulgi was in love with Joohyun and she hoped that by continuing this masquerade the two could realize the extent of their feelings for each other and actually become a couple. It wasn’t the perfect plan but it was all she got at that moment « Hey, I got to go, guys! My parents are calling me to help » 

« Goodnight, Love » Sooyoung immediately answered with a honey voice. 

« Ughh » Yeri let out in disgust  « Take your soulmate in private » 

« Jealous! » Seungwan . 

« Well, we’ll talk more tomorrow, guys. My relaxing bath is calling me » Sooyoung said and they all laughed gleefully. Joohyun could sense her own anxiousness evaporate. 

« Goodnight everyone. Dream of me » Yeri joked. 

« I hope not » Seulgi joked back and huffed. 

« You can’t stop me » Yeri laughed before hanging up. 

In that joyful atmosphere, the three girls ended the call, leaving only Seulgi and Joohyun on the line. 

« Joohyun! » Seulgi called in a whisper after a moment of silence. 

« Yes? » Her heart skipped a heat hopeful. 

« Do you want me to hang up? » Seulgi asked softly. 

« No » Joohyun immediately replied in a small voice « Can…can we stay like that for a moment? Even if we don’t talk? » 

« Of course » Seulgi’s voice radiated that natural warmth even if she wasn’t physically with her. Joohyun reached for the collar of the sweater and brought it close to her nose. She closed her eyes and for a moment, Seulgi was next to her. 

« Are you sure about meeting my siblings? » She asked. 

« Yes, I am » Seulgi didn’t change her answer « We can do that in a familiar environment and in public if you prefer? That way they won’t attempt anything if they weren’t straightforward with you earlier » 

« Yes, we should » Joohyun still didn’t know what to think of what happened not even an hour ago. She wasn’t the trusting kind and she got that from her family so…she was going to be cautious. She didn’t want to lose the person that made her feel like she was alive once ago. She would do anything to protect Seulgi, even if it meant being the pariah of the family. 

« I’m going to study now » Seulgi informed her « I’m not going to end the call. We can stay like this but if you want to talk you can at any time, okay? » 

« Okay » Joohyun smiled shyly. She was so whipped for Seulgi’s little gestures to her. She was weak for her and a slight blush graced her cheeks. She inhaled the sweet scent of her hoodie, hearing Seulgi breathe on the other side of the line while she wrote something. She focused back on her painting, realizing that even if for now there were only black lines on a white canvas it was more bright and colorful to her than any colors had ever been. 

After an hour on the line, they couldn’t let go of each other so they switched to a video call. Joohyun could barely focus on the homework that she was now doing. Her attention kept being pulled to Seulgi at the corner of her eyes. She caught herself multiple times admiring her beauty so blatantly. Thankfully, Seulgi was too focused on her own homework to notice. Or so she thought. Little did she know that the other girl wasn’t able to solve a single problem because she couldn’t stop her eyes from going toward the screen. Her eyes were on her without completely being on her to not be obvious but her mind was 100% devoted to her. 

They kept the video call on even when they both went to take showers or grab food, and they were both delighted when they met each other again through the screen even if they had been barely 20 minutes away from one another. They held onto each other all evening, the presence of the other making them feel peaceful inside. It was a calmness that Joohyun hadn’t felt since she was a careless child, and even then she was upheld by the expectations of her parents. 

She hopped onto her bed, putting her computer on the other pillow as she lay down. Seulgi watched her with a smile and did the same. They lay there in silence, looking into each other’s eyes through the screen. 

« I don’t want to stop the call » Joohyun let out when she felt her eyes becoming heavy and Seulgi smiled softly, because truth being said, she didn’t want to either. 

« Why don’t we keep it on » She watched Joohyun barely able to keep herself awake. She was so adorable that it melted Seulgi inside. Joohyun nodded and her eyes closed. Seulgi watched her, seeing her chest rise and fall slower after a little while. She took her camera on her nightstand and snapped a couple pictures. 

That was a memory that warmed her heart and she wanted to remember that moment for the rest of her life. Even if Joohyun didn’t completely reciprocate her feelings (that were still constantly growing) or if she was a temporary part of her life, she will hold on to that precious seemingly random moment. 

She will hold on to the afterglow but she also wanted to fight to make it last forever, to have more random moments that made her heart flutter because….she was in love with Bae Joohyun. 

 

____________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter?

See you next week :)

-J