Home is a Feeling

Crossing The Line

She dreamt about them that night. About her parents’ disgusted and disappointed faces at the party. She shook herself awake, beads of perspiration rolling down her face, but her drumming heart appeased when she saw a peacefully asleep Seulgi in front of her. She remembered that didn’t have to worry, that she had people by her side, that she had…a girlfriend. The word gave her butterflies. She observed Seulgi, underlining the shape of her face and her features. She was so beautiful like this, in this light. She wanted to look at her for the rest of her life. Suddenly, an idea popped up in her head and she slowly and carefully got out of bed. She went to her bag that was on the armchair and took out a sketchbook and pencil. She got back into bed just as quietly and opened the sketchbook. Her pencil danced on the page, trying to capture with the most accuracy Seulgi’s asleep figure. 

« Have you finished? » Seulgi whispered after some time, startling her. She saw her opening one eye carefully as if she wasn’t supposed to and it made her wonder how long Seulgi had been awake, posing for her and waiting to stop hearing the pencil move. 

« How long have you been awake? » She asked. 

« Since you got up to get your sketchbook » Seulgi smirked, almost proudly. 

Joohyun snorted, blushing heavily « I….Is it creepy? » She asked, suddenly unsure of her actions. 

« Only if you don’t show me » Seulgi joked, pushing down the sketchbook to see what she had drawn. 

« It’s just a sketch » Joohyun blushed, watching Seulgi intently study it. 

« I’ve never looked that good » Seulgi disagreed with a smirk as she looked back into her eyes. 

« It doesn’t do you any justice » Joohyun shook her head. 

Seulgi smiled and took the sketchbook away to Joohyun’s confusion, but she didn’t have to wait long to find out. Seulgi took hold of the side of her neck and pulled her gently toward her. Joohyun almost fell down on her as their lips met. 

« I give you the right to draw me any time you want » Seulgi whispered against her lips « And I would gladly hang everything you do like the one above our heads »

Joohyun frowned and looked up, her eyes widening. She hadn’t noticed that the painting she had given Seulgi was hanging above her bed. She looked back down at her girlfriend who was laughing. 

« You didn’t see it, did you? » Joohyun shook her head in shock « My beautiful girlfriend… » Seulgi cooed and Joohyun’s heart skipped a beat at her words « …you were so preoccupied » She caressed her cheek gently.

« Well,…I was distracted with my problems and then you » She pecked her lips. 

« I’m a pretty good distraction, you’re right » Seulgi joked happily and Joohyun rolled her eyes playfully.

« Maybe we should get up? I smell food » She said, glancing at the still closed door. 

« I love food but I could stay here for the rest of my life » Seulgi looked at her as if she was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen and it made Joohyun’s cheeks turn a deeper shade of red. 

« I think your stomach won’t handle it » Joohyun replied and Seulgi pouted. 

« Too bad » 

Joohyun chuckled and pulled suddenly the covers away, making Seulgi shriek because she was « Holy ! It’s cold » She whined, rushing to the bathroom. Joohyun bit her lips, finding it both cute and funny, and followed her inside. 

After they got prepared, they went downstairs where Seulgi’s dad was cooking while her mother was watering the plants. 

« Good morning, girls! » She cheeringly greeted them. 

Mr. Kang noticed them and waved with the same enthusiasm. Joohyun could see where Seulgi got her bright personality from. 

« Good morning » She gave them a small bow of the head. 

« Morning » Seulgi went to watch what her father was cooking. 

« Go sit down, Kang Seulgi » He chuckled « I’m almost finished » 

« I was just wondering if you made anything with chicken because Joohyun can’t eat it » She defended herself as she went to take place around the table, next to Joohyun and in front of her mother. 

« I know, I noticed it yesterday at the barbecue » Mr. Kang said while putting some of the food on the table. Joohyun’s wide eyes snapped at him with surprise. How could Seulgi’s parents be so observant already? It touched her to the point where her eyes were filled with tears. 

« Thank you » She said in a small voice. 

« Don’t thank me » He waved off « I’m very observant when it comes to food » He sat down « You should tell me what you like or dislike so I know what to cook in the future » 

The fact that Seulgi’s parents already talked about her being around in the future gave her butterflies in her stomach. She couldn’t help but smile and nod at him. It made her a bit sad though, that her parents will never be the same toward Seulgi. They may never be good toward her either anymore. But she didn’t want to think about them now. She wanted to surround her life with the Kangs’ brightness. 

They ate while talking and laughing. Mrs. Kang embarrassed Seulgi with childhood stories that made Joohyun fall for her harder but soon Mrs. Kang asked the question that broke the happy bubble. 

« Sweetheart, will you stay here again tonight? If so, do we need to take a trip to your house to get some of your things for you or school? » 

Joohyun gulped. She didn’t have anything for school and she didn’t have much for herself either. She wanted to stay here but she also needed things that were in her bedroom back home. 

« Is it going to be alright? » Seulgi asked, concern evident in her voice. 

« What’s the worse that can happen? » Joohyun shrugged « Worst case scenario, they kick me out but I’m going there to get my stuff anyway so… » She tried to take it lightly. 

« Don’t say that » Seulgi took her hand « Your mother already started to have a change of heart » 

« I don’t know » Joohyun sighed « She’s so used to following my father. She’ll probably go back on her words and stick to his side » 

« Only time will tell » Mrs. Kang sympathized and Joohyun nodded « But in the meantime, you have us, okay? I want you to know that you can stay here for as long as you want or need to » 

« Thank you…so much….for your hospitality, for everything you are doing for me » 

« We are happy to do it » Mr. Kang assured her. 

Weirdly, at that moment, she felt like…home. They made her feel whole, warm, and safe. It was a new feeling that submerged her and unknowingly changed her life for the better, because now she knew that better existed, that home was a feeling and that she had it. 

-

They drove her to her house that afternoon. Seulgi didn’t let go of her hand the whole ride and neither when they got out of the car once in front of her residential area. Joohyun flashed a smile to the guard who was visibly taken aback seeing her holding this girl’s hand while two adults he had never seen followed. 

« Ms. Bae » He bowed his head. 

« Good afternoon, they are with me » She told him. He nodded awkwardly and opened the gates. She glanced at Seulgi who squeezed her hand and sent her a supportive smile. She took a deep breath and walked up to her parents’ house. 

 

______________________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter?

See you next week :)

-J