Unexpected Conversation

Crossing The Line

Joohyun let her words sink in her siblings’ brains. Hyun-woo was a bit shocked by it all and looked back at his oldest sister to see what she would do. Kyung-mi’s face didn’t change. She was just as calm as moments ago. She had never shown much to Joohyun and so far she hadn’t minded but at that moment, she wished she would show any sort of emotion because not knowing what was coming was torture. 

« Does she love you? » Kyung-mi asked with the same neutral tone. Hyun-woo turned back toward Joohyun for an answer, a bit lost with the conversation that was taking place. 

« She does » Joohyun replied firmly. Even if they weren’t dating for real, Joohyun had realized that Seulgi cared about her more than just because she wanted to help her or even…as a friend. She had tried to tell herself that she was delusional but after last night, she got the confirmation that she wasn’t. There was something between them. Maybe Seulgi wasn’t in love with her but she cared enough for her to be close to it. 

« Does she treat you right? » Kyung-mi continued questioning. Joohyun didn’t know where all these questions would lead but she knew better than to question her sister when she was that serious. 

« For the first time since….well, since probably when I was a kid, I feel happy » She answered honestly, looking between her two siblings « She makes me feel safe » She let out vulnerably. That. That’s the thing that made Kyung-mi waver. She uncrossed her arms and sighed. 

« I want to meet her » 

« WHAT? » Joohyun and Hyun-woo yelled at the same time. 

« I want to see for myself if she really cares and loves you » Kyung-mi explained « Joohyun… » She took two steps closer to her little sister « I don’t care if you’re a lesbian. I…. » She sighed deeply, running a hand through her hair while Joohyun watched her in shock « Someone made me realize that our family dynamic is…messed up » 

« Are you seeing a therapist? » Hyun-woo asked, getting up from his spot, still completely lost. 

« He doesn’t have the certification yet. We’re in college together. But he’s really good » She told him before turning back toward Joohyun « I’m sorry that I wasn’t the sister you wanted me to be. Since I’m the oldest, I’m supposed to set the example and make sure you guys stay in line. I took that job very seriously. You know how mom and dad are. I couldn’t disappoint them because I knew the consequences and I have been trying to shield you from that. But in doing so, I’ve become a villain in your eyes » 

« Don’t be stupid » Hyun-woo put a reassuring hand on her shoulder « You’re the best. You’re badass and all » 

« I’ve alienated Joohyun and protected your weed-smoking to the point where we barely talk to each other. We don’t really know each other anymore » 

« You smoke weed? » Joohyun asked in surprise to her brother. He smiled at her awkwardly and shrugged. 

« Too much expectation to meet so I get the stress out in any way I can » 

« You could have chosen sports » Kyung-mi remarked. 

« That would require more efforts » He groaned « Let me chill in peace » 

« I told you it was fine with me as long as you don’t smoke here or bring anything here » Kyung-mi said very seriously « If mom and dad knew they’ll send you to the army right away » 

« Wait, hold on! » Joohyun raised her hands in front of her to try and grasp what was going on « So the perfect children of the Baes aren’t so perfect after all, huh? » 

« No one's perfect, Joohyun » Kyung-mi said. 

« You are » She protested and her sister shook her head with a chuckle. 

« No, I’m far from it. Yeah, you’re right, I’m following everything mom and dad planned for me but I actually genuinely love law and I really want to become a lawyer. But I also spend my weekends getting drunk with my friends. I had more boyfriends than I can count on my fingers and I listen to so much heavy metal that dad would lock me up in a convent to only hear the voices of the nuns for the rest of my life » Joohyun began massaging her temples. It was definitely not what she had been expecting when she had set foot in the house earlier « Joohyun? » Her sister got her attention again « I’m not homophobic. Far from it. I hang with my gay friends almost every weekend so I don’t care if you love a woman » 

« You’re hanging out with gays? » Hyun-woo raised a confused eyebrow. 

« You should too. It’s better than the gangster crowd that you surround yourself with » Kyung-mi huffed. 

« They’re not gangsters, they’re….barely breaking the law » Hyun-woo realized it wasn’t going his way « We’re just listening to music, smoking, and….playing really violent video games » He shrugged. 

« The parents would lose their minds nonetheless » Kyung-mi snorted and Hyun-woo rolled his eyes. 

« That’s why they don’t need to know » He grunted before turning to Joohyun « By the way, I’m not homophobic either. I’m just… » 

« An ? » Kyung-mi proposed with a smirk. 

« Ah Ah » He faked a laugh « I just never met a gay person before » Both Joohyun and her sister squinted their eyes in disbelief. 

« Just because they didn’t come out to you doesn’t mean you never met one. Plus, Joohyun is right there » Kyung-mi pointed at her. 

« Thinking about it, I think my old classmate Ji-Hoon was gay » 

« Woo! » Kyung-mi snapped her fingers in front of his face « Back to earth. We’re here for Joohyun remember » 

« Oh yeah. Well, I don’t know much about lesbians besides… » 

« Please, don’t say  » Kyung-mi warned.

« Yeah, please don’t » Joohyun was red out of embarrassment already. 

« Okay, then I don’t know anything » He raised his hands in front of him, slushing back on the couch.

« Joohyun, I still want to meet your girlfriend » Kyung-mi regained her sister’s attention and Joohyun was about to protest but she spoke first « I know I have no right to. I’ve never been a good sister to you, I get that. But you know how protective I am. It’s better if you arrange a meeting than me having to browse the internet for information that will be most likely distorted. Please » She asked in a soft tone « I won’t try to scare her or anything of the kind. I just want to make sure she loves you » 

« Is my word not enough? » Joohyun questioned and Kyung-mi sighed. 

« I think she wants to bond with you on that » The two women turned toward their brother with knitted brows « What? I might not be on my way to have a therapist certification but I can see that » He justified himself « Wait, would I make a good therapist? » He thought out loud. 

« No! » His sisters said without hesitation and he rolled his eyes at them. 

« Whatever, I’ll come too. I wonder if Kang Seulgi would like a handsome model for her pictures? » 

« No! » Joohyun yelled in disgust. 

« Handsome? » Kyung-mi gagged « Who made you believe that? » 

« Woah, thanks for the love guys! Anyway, I won’t ask her that, of course. I’m not stupid » Kyung-mi pursed her lips, giving her silent answer on that last sentence « I will ask her though, how did she make saint Joohyun fall for her and even gave her a hickey » 

« Goddamnit, you’ll never let go of that goddamn hickey » Joohyun groaned. 

« Never » He grinned. 

« I have to admit that was something » Kyung-mi smirked at her. Joohyun rolled her eyes and took a few steps away. 

 

« I’m not going down that path again » She huffed « You’ll meet her but I’m warning you if you try to scare her away, I will destroy your entire existence » 

« That’s my sister » Kyung-mi smiled at her with amused eyes. 

« Now, I have homework to do before mom and dad get back » She walked away. 

« Hey! » Hyun-woo called back « There are a few packages that arrived for you earlier. I put them in your room. One was so ing heavy » Joohyun got suddenly excited by that news. 

« Good, it made you work out » She let out before leaving to go to her room. Kyung-mi burst into laughter, mocking her brother who was already regretting many of his life choices. 

-

When Joohyun closed the door of her room behind her, she let out a heavy sigh. The pressure of the interaction died down, replaced quickly by the thrill of seeing her packages in front of her. She opened the bigger one and unwrapped the easel she had chosen. She set it in one of the corners of her room before she unpacked her brushes, paints, and the other accessories she got. 

After everything was set, she pulled her chair in front of it and sat. She stared at the blank canvas, she knew what she wanted to paint but it was strange to finally have the possibility to do it. She looked at the colors on her palette as she pulled the hoodie closer to her face and smelled the familiar and soothing scent. Everything became much more vibrant. Seulgi had brought back the colors that she had lost a long time ago and now, she was ready to express them. 

 

___________________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed? 

See you next week :) 

-J