Rediscovering Colors

Crossing The Line

Seulgi had insisted to make smoothies to cheer Joohyun up and that’s how she found herself not being able to take her eyes off her while she did them. Despite the rough encounter with her siblings, she was at ease at that moment, and somehow she didn’t fear her future much either. There was a safety that Seulgi brought her and that she couldn’t truly explain. When she was by her side, it was like nothing could happen to her. Seulgi was a shield. A shield that was more efficient than the walls she had tried to build all these years. But she didn’t mind seeing them crumble if it meant having Seulgi close to her. She thought about how she had almost told her she loved her not even 15 minutes earlier, and how easy it had felt to do so. She wondered how it could have happened, to fall for someone so fast. Her who was always so detached from her feelings, who always stayed intentionally away from people. Wasn’t it ironic? Wasn’t it ironic how hard she had fallen for Kang Seulgi, the brightest human on earth? 

« Are you staring because you’re amazed at how good I am to make smoothies or because you just like what you see? » Seulgi faced her from the other side of the kitchen island and slide the red smoothie toward her. Joohyun’s cheeks tainted bright red and she lowered her gaze toward the beverage, yet her lips upturned. Seulgi smiled, happy to see her doing better « I’m just teasing you. I’m glad that I can uplift your mood » Joohyun raised her eyes to her and took a sip of her drink. 

« It’s really good » She thanked her and Seulgi snorted, taking a sip of hers. 

« You didn’t answer the question though? » She raised a playful eyebrow that made Joohyun gulp.  Joohyun didn’t have the time to come up with an answer, and for that, she was very thankful, that the front door opened and male and female voices reached them. Joohyun straightened up as Seulgi’s parents entered the living room and saw them. Seulgi came to Joohyun’s side and smiled sheepishly at them. 

« Hey, mom! Hey, dad! How was the walk? » She asked calmly. 

« Good, it was nice to breathe some fresh air. How was the sleepover? » Her mom replied before turning her attention to Joohyun once more. 

« Really good » Seulgi shrugged because it was always the case « By the way, this is my friend and classmate, Bae Joohyun. She came to the sleepover » 

« Good afternoon, Mr. And Mrs. Kang » Joohyun greeted them very politely, her nervousness was obvious to everyone present. 

« Well, hello, Joohyun. Nice to meet you » Seulgi’s father smiled brightly and the way his eyes shifted reminded Joohyun of Seulgi’s. She knew now where she had inherited them from. 

« Hi, Joohyun! » Seulgi’s mother welcomed her as well « You’re so beautiful » She let out sincerely. 

« Mom, she’s just a friend » Seulgi groaned, knowing her mother’s thoughts. Joohyun turned a bright shade of red.

« I didn’t say anything » Mrs. Kang defended herself but Seulgi knew better than to think it was an innocent comment. 

« Anyway, uh….could Joohyun stay over tonight? » She asked, already knowing it would only worsen her mother’s suspicions. Joohyun turned toward her with a frown. 

« No, Seul, I….I’ll get a hotel room or something » She didn’t want to bother her any longer nor her family. 

« Don’t be stupid, I won’t let you get a hotel room » Seulgi insisted firmly. 

« Seulgi’s right » Mr. Kang intervene « I don’t know the circumstances of your situation but in this time and age, a young woman like yourself alone in a hotel room, it’s not safe. You can stay here today » He told her and turned to his wife to have her approval. She nodded instantly before looking back at Joohyun. 

« Of course, you can stay » She smiled at her nicely and then diverted her gaze to her daughter « The only condition I have is to let your door open » 

« Oh my god, Mom! » Seulgi shouted in embarrassment. She put a hand on Joohyun’s back and dragged her upstairs before they could embarrass her even more. 

« Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Kang » Joohyun politely bowed before following Seulgi. 

« Likewise, Joohyun » Mr. Kang smiled « We’ll call you girls for dinner » He then turned to his wife and shook his head « You’re scaring the girl » He whispered. 

« I…I’m sorry, I….I’m the overprotective type, you know that » She sighed. Her husband nodded and side-hugged her as they looked in direction of the stairs where the two girls had disappeared « She seems very nice though » She shrugged and Mr. Kang smiled. 

« I’m so sorry about my parents » Seulgi apologized, immediately closing the door after they passed by it. 

« It’s okay. They seem very nice…but aren’t you supposed to let that open? » Joohyun pointed at the door. Seulgi looked back at it and scratched her nape. 

« Nah, she was just messing around. I usually don’t have anyone coming here besides Seungwan, Sooyoung, and Yeri and they already know them for a long time so…. » She cleared nervously « My mom’s a mama bear »

« That’s cute » Joohyun began chuckling and Seulgi raised an eyebrow. 

« What’s so funny? » 

« It’s just…You do look like a baby bear » She grinned at her teasingly. 

Seulgi’s eyes narrowed « Savor your smoothie because I won’t make one for you in a while » 

« Is that your payback? » Joohyun snorted mockingly. Seulgi stayed quiet and approached her. Joohyun gulped, suddenly finding her teasing very stupid. Her heart began to race at every step Seulgi took until she stopped in front of her and a smirk spread on her lips. 

« Who’s laughing now? » Seulgi wiggled her eyebrows and Joohyun took a deep breath. Knocks on the door interrupted them. Seulgi immediately backed away from her as her mother entered the room. 

« Sorry to bother, your father wanted to know if Joohyun had any allergies and if pasta with meatballs and tomato sauce was alright for dinner? » She asked, sneaking a glance around the room nonetheless. 

« No allergies and that sounds amazing, Mrs. Kang » Joohyun smiled shyly. 

« Great, I’ll call you when he finishes » She sent them a small smile and closed the door. 

« She really thinks we’re dating » Seulgi groaned. But how could she hold it against her when she was sure that she looked at Joohyun exactly like she was in love with her. Her mother just had good eyes. She was the one to be so damn transparent about it. 

« Seulgi, I… » Joohyun turned toward her « If you’re alright with it, of course, I’ll….I’m going to tell my siblings that we have been dating for a while » Seulgi’s eyes widened out of shock « If I just tell them that I’m figuring myself out, they’ll try anything to put me back on the ‘right path’ » She air-quoted it « But if I tell them that I’m sure of who I am and that I’m in a relationship it will be harder to do something about it, right? They can try but it’s way more difficult » She looked at Seulgi tensely « I won’t ask you to do anything you don’t want to, Seul. And I also won’t let my family hurt you » 

« I know » Seulgi met her eyes « I’m not scared about them. But…it’s a chess game and I’m trying to figure out if you have a checkmate move here » 

« You play chess? » Joohyun asked intrigued. 

« No » Seulgi shrugged « But I’m sure your family does » 

« Unsurprisingly, they do » Joohyun confirmed « But I don’t » 

« Really? » Seulgi raised an interested eyebrow and Joohyun nodded. 

« Never liked it. I rather wanted to paint » 

« You paint? » Seulgi became instantly fascinated. 

« I used to » A small smile spread on her lips as she remembered « You know, I keep thinking about what Sooyoung said this morning. I stopped painting because my parents wanted me to focus on my studies » 

« Let me guess, artist is not a real job? » Seulgi said. 

« The only viable careers for them is either being a lawyer or part of the government like my dad » Joohyun rolled her eyes « But I think I want to paint again » 

« That’s great » Seulgi smiled at her « Will you let me see your paintings? » She asked shyly. 

« I haven’t even brought a canvas yet » Joohyun chuckled. Seulgi diverted her gaze out of embarrassment, her cheeks turning red. Joohyun looked at her, feeling like she had met the most wonderful woman on earth. She thought back on how they got close. A lot actually happened in the very room they were in. How crazy it was that she realized her feelings for Seulgi weren’t hatred but something more, something so much more beautiful. The bush that she thought was full of thorns actually hid a beautiful red rose in its center, and now more of them grew and she could touch them without hurting herself. But Seulgi was more than red roses, she was full of colors. Suddenly, Joohyun knew what her first painting would be. 

 

__________________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter? Sorry to be late, I worked past midnight yesterday and I crashed in my bed immediately after I got home.

See you next week, take care <3

-J