Slowly...

Crossing The Line

Mrs. Bae slowly turned toward her husband « Honey? » Her trembling voice called. 

He looked down at her with a seemingly unfazed expression but she could see in his eyes that it had touched him as well. He just didn’t want to show it. His ego, she told herself, was always in the way. 

« We won’t be able to fix anything now so I’m going home » He announced « You can follow me or stay, I don’t care » His words hurt his wife but did he care? That was a mystery to her at that moment. Nevertheless, he spared one last glance at his children, his jaw clenching, before he went back inside the house to leave. Taeyeon detached her hand from Tiffany and followed him to close the door behind him. 

The three siblings expected their mother to follow him, as she always did, but the woman did no such thing. She stayed rooted in place, eyes traveling from person to person until they settled on Joohyun and Seulgi, especially on her daughter’s hand gripping so tightly her girlfriend’s hand. 

Taeyeon came back to the garden and went to her wife’s side immediately. Mrs. Bae watched her wrap her arm around Tiffany’s waist as the other woman leaned against her side. A sudden thought came to her mind. 

« Are you two really together or did you just say that to make us change our minds? » She asked respectfully. 

« We really are » Tiffany showed her ring proudly. Mrs. Bae glanced at Yeri « Yes, she is really our daughter » Tiffany anticipated her question. 

« And proud to be » Yeri said, puffing her chest cutely. 

Mrs. Bae lowered her head in shame, gulping, before looking back at her children « I failed you, haven’t I? » 

« Not always » Kyung-Mi said truthfully « It was with good intentions at first, I can tell. But…well…I failed my siblings too » She sighed « I was supposed to protect them. Even from you » 

« It’s not your fault » Hyun-Woo told her and Joohyun nodded. 

« It was…It is. I’m old enough now to be able to do it. It’s just…not easy when it’s your own parents that you have to fight » She looked at her mother. 

Silence awkwardly settled on the garden where only the cracking fire reminded everyone that it was supposed to be a barbecue party. 

« Would you like to stay for the barbecue? » Tiffany suddenly let out. Everyone looked at her with surprise but they immediately changed direction when Hyun-Woo replied:

« Oh, yes, please. I’m starving » Kyung-Mi slapped his arm but he just shrugged « What? It’s true. It’s hurting » He patted his stomach. 

« Let’s get some more food on the grill then » Mr. Son tried to smile naturally yet it was still awkward. Everyone directed themselves back to the table slowly but Mrs. Bae stayed on her spot, lost in her head. Kyung-Mi sighed and took Hyun-Woo and Mrs. Shin to go sit at the end of the table. Joohyun stared at her mother. She was still scared, terrified actually, but she could see the internal conflict of her mother. She couldn’t believe they had managed to go through her mother. They talked. She listened. And she was actually hearing them. She let Seulgi lead her to the table, thinking about how incredible it felt to be heard and seen.

« Mrs. Bae, can we talk? » The woman in question raised her head to find Mrs. Kang in front of her. She had a sympathetic smile on that made her nod « Let’s take a walk » She gestured for her to go ahead. 

They walked along the garden for a moment, getting farther away from the table and barbecue. 

« You must think I’m a horrible mother? » Mrs. Bae let out. 

« You’re not unredeemable, Mrs. Bae » Mrs. Kang said « When Seulgi came out, I had a lot of questions, and I wondered if in our society she will find a comfortable place. But the thing is, she’s my daughter and I love her more than my own life. I don’t care what people will say, I just want to protect her from them. But I realized that it’s not by hiding her true self that it will be best. She will face people that will discriminate her but ultimately, she will feel that joy of being herself. At home, she has the safest environment for that » She explained and Mrs. Bae nodded. Mrs. Kang stopped walking « Look at them » She pointed at Seulgi and Joohyun sitting at the table « When I look at them I don’t see anything wrong. In fact, I like your daughter. I think she’s good for Seulgi. The way she talks about her. With that smile » She chuckled, remembering how obvious it was that her daughter had caught feelings. 

« I saw them on a date » Mrs. Bae let out. 

« And? » Mrs. Kang rose an eyebrow curiously « Was it as horrible as you thought it would be? Or were they cute? » 

Mrs. Bae looked intently at her daughter whose head was resting on Seulgi’s shoulder while the other girl tried to make her eat something. She hated being the reason for her daughter’s sadness. What did her reputation mean when she was facing her? Simple. Nothing. All the parents present here didn’t care either, they loved their child. She wanted the perfect life for them but what did perfect mean? What she had been taught since she was young? Or was it completely different? Just happiness. She made her three children suffer for that supposedly perfect life and what did she gain? The admiration of the people around her? Or rather, the facade of it. Did she really pursue all her life the superficial to the expense of her children and even her own self? She remembered Joohyun’s smile and rosy cheeks after she had kissed Seulgi. She knew that feeling. It was love. She couldn’t deny it. 

She sighed « They seem so in love » 

« They are » Mrs. Kang confirmed « Listen, I know you pictured your daughter having a grand career and a princess-like wedding. Plenty of grandchildren even. Trust me, I did the same when Seulgi was born but they can’t live up to our expectations because they are their own person. We can’t carry someone else’s dream and we can’t project our own onto them » 

« Then what should I do now? They hate me » Mrs. Bae teared up. 

« You’re their mother » Mrs. Kang told her « Make them forgive you. Work on it. It’s a process »

Mrs. Bae nodded because Mrs. Kang seemed wiser than she ever was. She glanced back at Joohyun and Seulgi. The latter had her arm around her shoulder and was rubbing her hand on it affectionately while Kyung-Mi was talking to Joohyun « I need to speak with my husband. We need to talk about all of this but he needs to calm down first » 

« Why don’t I take Joohyun in tonight? And the two others if they want? That way it will be just the two of you » Mrs. Kang proposed. 

« That…would be great, thank you » She gave her a thankful smile. 

« No problem » Mrs. Kang smiled back. 

They made their way back to the table slowly. Joohyun watched them, being a wreck inside « Did I just break my family? » She asked, more to herself than anyone. 

« Joohyun! » Kyung-Mi took hold of her chin to make her look into her eyes « Our family was broken long before all this happened. It’s not your fault. Actually, if our family survives it will be thanks to you » She cupped her cheek with love. 

« Kids! » Mrs. Bae cleared to gain their attention but she looked away, not being able to look at them properly in the eyes. 

« Joohyun is going to stay with us tonight » Mrs. Kang informed them, seeing how hard it was for the woman to get it out « You two are welcomed to join if you want » She smiled at the oldest siblings. 

« I just texted a friend. I’ll stay with her tonight » Kyung-Mi replied « But thank you » 

« I still have some work to do for our game so I’ll stay with my friends as well » Hyun-Woo smiled at her with a bright smile, mouth still containing food. 

« Alright. I’m glad » Mrs. Kang smiled back and Mrs. Bae nodded. 

« Madam! » Mrs. Shin called « Am I fired? » 

« No » Mrs. Bae shook her head « You took care of my children more than I ever could » She sighed « See you tomorrow » 

« See you tomorrow, madam » 

Mrs. Bae nodded sadly and said her goodbyes. She locked eyes with Joohyun one last time « I’m sorry » She whispered before walking away. 

Joohyun took a deep breath, feeling her girlfriend and her sister’s hands rub her back in reassurance. She couldn’t believe her mother apologized to her. 

Maybe, after all, things will get better. 

 

______________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! I’m finally back :) It feels so good to be able to write again :) Anyway, hope you liked this chapter? 

See you next week ;) 

-J