Face to Face

Crossing The Line

Joohyun didn’t leave Seulgi’s arms from the moment Mrs. Kang returned her phone until her family arrived. The adults gathered a bit afar and talked among themselves, strategizing on what to do when, ultimately, Joohyun’s parents will be there.

For the teenagers, however, it was quieter. Seungwan, Sooyoung, and Yeri just stood next to Joohyun and Seulgi silently while rubbing their backs. The atmosphere was heavy and it wasn’t from the bright sun that shined on them. 

It felt like an eternity and yet like a blur when the doorbell rang and Yeri’s moms rushed inside to go open. Seulgi moved in front of Joohyun to become her human shield and Joohyun held tightly onto her arm. Yeri and Seungwan placed themselves on each side while Sooyoung stood behind them, her head appearing for Joohyun’s parents to see when they rushed in the yard. Their eyes set on Joohyun immediately but thankfully so were her siblings’ who were right behind them. 

Kyung-Mi quickly walked up to Joohyun « Are you alright? » She put a supportive hand on her shoulder but her younger sister shook her head, which saddened her instantly. She felt guilty to have failed to protect her. 

Hyun-Woo politely greeted everyone present, bowing his head, and apologized for the inconvenience while he made his way up to his sisters. He smiled affectionately at Seulgi and took a seat next to them. 

What was the most unexpected and what truly shocked Joohyun was the presence of Mrs. Shin who followed him. 

« Mrs. Shin? » She let out in disbelief. 

« Did you think I would leave you alone after all these years? » She smiled softly at her and winked. 

« We are not here to make a scene » Mr. Bae interrupted « Joohyun, let’s leave now » He ordered with a firm voice. 

Mrs. Kang took a step forward and immediately made her presence known « I’m Mrs. Kang, Seulgi’s mother. As I said, we need to talk » 

« Mrs. Kang, how I raise my daughter is not of your concern. What’s happening in my household doesn’t involve you. I just don’t want your daughter near mine. I hope you understand that » He replied with eyes that could kill. 

« I actually don’t » Mrs. Kang let out, surprising everyone but firstly him. She crossed her arms over her chest and continued « You might have your beliefs but I don’t think they should be superior to your daughter's happiness. When my Seulgi came out to us, it surprised us. And like most heteroual couples that live in a conservative country, we questioned it. But you need to realize that there is nothing that can change your daughter’s uality. However, you can change how happy she becomes in her life. Don’t you want to see that smile anymore? » She pointed at Joohyun and Mrs. Bae lowered her head. 

Mr. Bae, however, only clenched his jaw « That country, as you say, I’m really proud to be part of its government. I work tirelessly to make sure our people live a decent life » 

« And you think two women making a life together is not decent? » Mr. Kang took a step forward as well, fully offended by his words.

« Creating a household no. I don’t think so » Mr. Bae scoffed. 

« And yet you stand in one » Taeyeon spoke, gaining his and his wife’s attention « I’m a South Korean woman who married another » She took Tiffany’s hand in hers « We met in high school. We started dating despite our parents’ disapproval. We persisted » She smiled at her wife before looking back at them « We got married in the US. We found a donor and we made our beautiful daughter, Yeri » She glanced at her daughter proudly « We have a decent life like you so much want your daughter to have. It’s not by cutting her from the woman she loves that you will make her into the traditional housewife you so much want her to be. You will create a miserable human being who will have no connection to life. Or worse, you won’t have a daughter at all in the future and that will be too late for you to realize how much you ed up » 

Mr. Bae stayed quiet, observing the two women before him while Mrs. Bae stared at Yeri with a blank expression. 

« I’m not the person you want me to be, dad, I’m sorry » Joohyun murmured weakly, still firmly holding onto Seulgi. Her parents looked at her and even with their intense gazes, she found the courage within herself to be her own advocate for once. It was no use trying to avoid getting them upset anymore. It was now or never. All that she had on her heart will come out after years of internal storms « I can’t be this person you wish for. Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful for how hard you work to always provide for us but….your expectations are…they can never be me. I don’t like the path you want me to take. I never did. But I kept quiet because it was expected of me » She sighed « I never thought I could have felt happiness like I do now. I….I don’t want to let go of that » Her voice cracked and she burst into sobs, immediately finding her place in Seulgi’s arms and burying her face in the crook of her neck. 

« I don’t want to be your robot either » Hyun-Woo spoke up, surprising his parents even more « I don’t want to be a lawyer or part of the government. I hate wearing suits » He revealed, making a disgusted face « I actually don’t go study at the library as I tell you every time. I’m working on the side with friends programming video games » Their eyes widened dramatically, and even Kyung-Mi and Joohyun were surprised at his words « We got contacted by a big company in the business two days ago and…I want to go work there. I’m sorry but that’s my decision » He finished, still sitting comfortably. 

« Unbelievable » Mr. Bae muttered before focusing his gaze on his eldest daughter « What about you? Do you also have something to say? » 

« I actually like what I’m doing. I’m planning to be a lawyer » She shrugged « But I guess you should know I’m having therapy » She dropped the bomb that froze her parents once again « Apparently, I have decades of trauma to go through. So thanks for that I guess » 

« Trauma? What trauma? We always have done everything for you kids? » Mrs. Bae defended herself, scandalized by her words. 

« No, you trained us to be the perfect kids for your mold. But the truth is, it ed us up » Kyung-Mi calmly continued her point « Perfect grades, perfect looks, perfect attitude. That’s what you expected of us but that eats us inside because we can’t form a personality. We are deprived of choices. Maybe it came from a good place but it’s not right » She said to them. 

« Have you always felt like that? » Mrs. Bae asked in a small remorseful voice. The three siblings nodded and she put her hand over and gasped « Oh my god! » 

Was that remorse? Joohyun thought. She never thought she would witness such a thing in her life. She couldn’t believe that her mother would question her decisions.  

« We’ll solve that at home » Mr. Bae let out through gritted teeth. 

« NO » Kyung-Mi and Hyun-Woo replied in unison. 

« You’ll try to shut them down once there » Mrs. Shin intervened « I know I’m just an employee to you and I’m in no place to speak… » 

« Then why do you? » Mr. Bae cut her drily and his wife put a calming hand on his arm to stop him but Mrs. Shin didn’t slightly care if he threatened her with her job. 

« I watched your children silently suffer for years, that’s why. I pray, oh lord did I pray for you to open your eyes but you were too busy with your work and politics to see what was right in front of you. You didn’t see your daughter stop smiling and lose her joie de vivre. That was the worst to witness, sir » She told him « But you also didn’t notice when she gained it again. I can tell you the exact period of time when she got close to this young lady and fell in love. Can you? Of course not. Let me ask you a question? Is it really that horrible that she loves another girl? There are people here who can tell you that it’s the farther thing from the truth » 

« It’s true » Sooyoung’s father said « We know each other from church so you know our story » He looked at the Baes in the eyes « When Sooyoung came out, I was like you. I reacted like you. But…I realized what was the most important. My daughter. I learned. At first, it was to prove to her that she made a mistake but the more I read the more I realized it was me who was making one. I dropped to my knees and apologized to her. All I want to say is, please don’t make a mistake that you’ll realize when it’s too late » 

« What do I need to learn that I don’t already know? » Mr. Bae asked. 

« That your daughter loves a woman. That it is who she is. That you can never change that no matter how hard you try. That she can have a happy future. Because even if she doesn’t have your support, she’ll move on to achieve that. But just know that you will add to her trauma » Mr. Park told him frankly « I don’t know about you but I want to be in my daughter’s life. I want to see her grow, thrive, and be happy. Her smile is my happiness and her happiness includes Seungwan. A girl. Her girlfriend. Someone that makes me glow. God said to love, my friend. Some humans tell you to hate but their reason is not good enough. Not when someone’s life is at stake. Especially someone you love. So….what’s your choice? » 

All eyes were on the Baes. Expectations were high but all were prepared for disappointment. 


_________________________________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter? 

See you next week :)

-J