What Now?

Crossing The Line

When Joohyun stepped inside her house, Mrs. Shin was the first person she saw. However, she and the Kangs immediately heard multiple voices coming from the living room. They looked at Mrs. Shin with intrigued eyes and the middle-aged woman just politely smiled at them. 

« Good morning, Ms. Joohyun, Ms. Kang, Mr. and Mrs. Kang » She bowed her head at them very respectfully « Ms. Kyung-Mi and Mr. Hyun-Woo are talking with their parents » She explained. 

« They’re here? » Joohyun was surprised that they came back so soon. She thought they would stay away for a while but it made her happy to know they were here defending her.  

« They have been here for two hours » Mrs. Shin told them. 

Joohyun was afraid to ask how it was going given that the voices from the living room were loud. They were probably fighting and she wondered how long would it take for her father to disown them and kick them out.

« Are they arguing or fighting? » Seulgi asked what she was thinking but was afraid to ask out loud.

« Arguing is the appropriate term » Mrs. Shin nodded « But don’t worry too much. Ms. Kyung-Mi and Mr. Hyun-Woo have a lot of arguments » She smirked slightly.  

« We have a lot of them too » Mrs. Kang told her with the same smirk. 

« Shall we then? » Mrs. Shin pointed toward the living room. The Kangs turned toward Joohyun who took a deep inhale. 

« Are you ready or do you want to leave? » Seulgi asked with concern. 

« I’ll never be ready I think but let’s do this » Joohyun said with determination. She held onto Seulgi’s hand tighter. She wanted to be happy and she was ready to face her parents for that. With assured steps, she walked up to the living room where her family was. Hyun-Woo was unsurprisingly sitting on the couch, looking as relaxed as always. Kyung-Mi was standing next to him, arms crossed over her chest, appearing very calm yet determined and firm in her stance. Mrs. Bae was sitting in an armchair, her face presenting that she didn’t have much sleep that night. Mr. Bae was pacing around the room with a tense demeanor. He seemed to have too many thoughts that he couldn’t quite process immediately. 

The four of them turned toward the newcomers as soon as they entered and Joohyun could feel the tension in the air. It was so charged that it was almost difficult to breathe. She felt Seulgi squeeze her hand and it reminded her to breathe. 

« Hi! » She let out with a tight throat. 

« Hi, Sweetie! » Mrs. Bae immediately replied, which made everyone look at her. Joohyun’s eyes widened. Did her mother just call her ‘sweetie’ after all that happened? 

Mr. Kang cleared his throat « Well, uh…Please, take a seat » He offered to the Kangs « Mrs. Shin can make you beverages. Maybe some tea or coffee? » 

« We’ll take some tea » Mr. Kang sent a smile to the other man and Mrs. Shin. The woman nodded and headed outside while the couple sat next to Hyun-Woo who smiled brightly at them.

Joohyun was frozen in place but Seulgi stayed by her side calmly, squeezing her hand a few times to help her. Mr. Bae observed his daughter and her girlfriend quietly before he spoke:

« Joohyun, would you sit, or do you prefer to stay there? » He asked coldly yet, unlike yesterday, there wasn’t anger. 

« I…uh…I’ll stay here » Joohyun answered, taking a deep breath « I….I need to speak about this » She told them. She needed to get everything off her chest, especially if it was possibly going to be the last time they saw each other. Mr. Bae pursed his lips. 

« Talk, Joohyun » Mrs. Bae authorized her before anyone could say differently. 

Joohyun thought she was crushing Seulgi’s hand by this point but she didn’t complain nor let out any discomfort noises to indicate her otherwise and she was very thankful for that. She looked at her parents while she gathered her thoughts. 

« I’m not going to change. No matter what you say or want. This is who I am. This is what I want. I never knew what was appealing about life…or love until I came to her » She looked at Seulgi with eyes full of love « She showed me. Not only did she teach me love but also helped me know who I was and how to love myself. I feel alive for the first time in my life. It doesn’t have to do anything with you. If you don’t want to be part of my life anymore because of it, then be it but don’t try to change me. I fell in love with Seulgi and I want her in my life. It’s not that hard to understand. Just because she’s a woman doesn’t mean it’s wrong and I’ll go to hell. I don’t believe that. Also, whatever society says, they can try to bring me down for my ‘lifestyle’ but I have never felt stronger » By this point, her cheeks were red and her energy high. She was ready to fight whatever was coming toward her. 

« You’re young, Joohyun » Mr. Bae tried to reason her. 

« I’m not a child, Dad. I have a brain. You literally put me in extra classes from a young age so I could learn more faster. You always wanted intelligent children. We are now. But we also developed independent thinking and you can’t handle that because you want us to think like you and you want to be the smartest one » 

He clenched his jaws but Kyung-Mi was trying to hide her smirk on the other side of the room and that gave Joohyun a boost of confidence. Mrs. Shin chose that moment to bring the Kangs their tea. It was silent for a moment before Mr. Bae decided to open his mouth. 

« Joohyun, I didn’t raise you to…. » 

« Be perfect? » Kyung-Mi interrupted. Of course, it was obvious that it wasn’t what he was going to say but the young woman didn’t care. Kyung-Mi appearing as calm as usual continued « Spoiler alert, dad, no one is perfect. But you know that, you work with politicians after all. They are the last to be perfect. All that facade will not make you a happier person. Let me ask you a question: when was the last time you genuinely smiled? When was the last time you had a good time with your family? » His gaze dropped. Kyung-Mi was successfully making him think about it « I know your work is important but like Mr. Park said yesterday, don’t age with regrets. You’re a smart man, dad. Look at Joohyun. Ask mom how happy she was when she was on a date with Seulgi. Is it that horrible to conceive? We were all raised to think that but we learned that these ideas were wrong. I always thought Joohyun would grow old alone and it makes me very happy that I was wrong. I like that for her. And if you want the best for us, I think you would think the same » She told him. 

Mr. Bae stayed silent, his eyes on the ground. The tension was high in the room. Joohyun felt like throwing up. Slowly, he looked at her. Their eyes met and Joohyun gulped. She would give a lot to know what he was thinking at that moment. He diverted his gaze to Seulgi who didn’t avert her eyes. She would do anything for Joohyun and she wanted him to know. He sighed before looking at his wife who gave him a hopeful look and he looked back again at Joohyun. 

« I love you, Joohyun » 

Joohyun’s eyes widened. It was so unexpected that her thoughts stopped. How long had it been since she heard that? 

« I…I love you too, dad » She let out. 

He smiled softly and turned to Seulgi « You better prove me I’m wrong » Everyone was stunned by his words. It didn’t mean he approved but it was one step in the right direction already.

« Yes, sir. I will do that every day for the rest of my life if I have to » Seulgi said with determination. 

He nodded and Mrs. Bae shed a tear of happiness. 

« So we’re not disowned? » Hyun-Woo asked, sipping some tea. Kyung-Mi face-palmed because, of course, he had terrible timing. 

« No, son » Mr. Bae said « But we’ll have more conversation in the future. I will look with you that contract for the game company. I heard it’s an extensive field now » 

« You heard? » Hyun-Woo questioned in disbelief. 

Mr. Bae cleared his throat « I might have done some research » 

« He stayed up all night » Mrs. Bae revealed. 

« So….does that mean we’ll go back to being the way we were? » Joohyun asked, still trying to process that the situation was doing good. 

« There’s no going back » Mr. Bae shook his head and everyone hold their breath for a moment « I want to change things in this house. We’ll have family talks from now on and on Sunday a family lunch. I realize now that I never truly communicated with you but it’s going to change. I promise. I will be a better father » He said sincerely. 

« Am I dreaming? » Joohyun let out in disbelief. 

« It’s really happening » Seulgi said « Do you want me to pinch you? » She joked, trying to relax her. 

« By this point, I think I need to be punched in the face » 

« I will not do that » Seulgi shook her head and Mr. Bae ranked Seulgi higher in his head. 

He turned toward her parents « Mr. and Mrs. Kang would you like to stay for lunch? I think we have a lot to learn about each other. After all, we’ll see one another more in the future I believe » 

« With pleasure » The Kangs replied, impressed by the unexpected invitation.

Mrs. Bae stood up and sent a proud smile to her husband. Hyun-Woo patted his stomach happily and Kyung-Mi looked at her sister who was still processing the conversation. 

« It’s going to be alright » Seulgi whispered, rubbing her thumb on Joohyun’s tense hand. 

 

________________________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter? 

See you next week :)

-J