Butterflies in her Heart

Crossing The Line

When Joohyun woke up, the computer screen allowed her to open her eyes next to a still asleep Seulgi. She smiled of that bright smile that was only reserved for the other woman. A smile that only appeared on her face very recently but a smile that she would want to hurt her cheeks forever. 

She grabbed her phone on her nightstand and had to capture the cuteness that was on display through the screen. She thought that she should paint that scene, and maybe she will one day but she had to finish the painting she had started first. 

It was with a broken heart that she had to cut the video call. At this hour of the morning, her mother could burst in at any moment and she didn’t want to find an explanation as to why she was watching a classmate, that she supposedly barely knew, sleep. However, she messaged Seulgi as to why she did it, wishing her a good morning first. And after she got back from the bathroom, she had a text from her: ‘Good morning to you too :) Hope I didn’t snore too loud :/ Can’t wait to see you in school » Joohyun inhaled deeply as a wave of warmth invaded her body. She looked at the bright sun outside, smiling so wide that it burned her cheeks. Was it what being happy was supposed to feel like? If so, she wanted that forever. 

« Oh, good, you’re already awake » 

Joohyun jumped out of fear, turning to find her mother at the door. Her startled face must had gave away her nervous state because a frown appeared on her mother’s face. 

« Are you alright? » She asked with concern. 

« Yes » Joohyun simply answered, putting her school books in her bag as if nothing happened. Her mother’s eyes settled on the unfinished painting and she approached it curiously. 

« You paint again? Is this a…landscape? » 

« I…I’m doing it again because it use to relax me so I hope it will still do » She explained « And it’s from a picture I saw on the internet » 

Her mother nodded understandingly « It looks promising. I’m happy that you are doing better. Your face glow again » She smiled at her. 

« Thanks, mom » Joohyun sent her a small smile. 

« Now, let’s get some breakfast before you go to school » 

Joohyun let out a heavy sigh when her mom left the room. Even though there was nothing in the room that could give away her secret she couldn’t help the nervousness that she felt when her mother was in her room. The weight of the secret was heavy on her heart when she was in this house. 

When she got to the dining room, her mother was with Kyung-Mi, and her father was, as usual, reading the newspaper. 

« Good morning, father. Good morning, Kyung-Mi » She greeted calmly as she took her place at the table. They both replied to her but in different ways. For her father, it was an automatic response, there wasn’t much interest in his voice and he didn’t even lift his eyes toward her. Kyung-Mi, however, was the complete opposite of what she usually was. She smiled at her and replied in a sweet voice that even got their mother surprised. Joohyun smiled back at her, feeling really happy with how her sister was now treating her, and it showed to her that their conversation of the prior day really had changed everything. Joohyun was proud of that. She was proud that for once she had stood up for herself and that it had a positive impact on her life and her relationship with her siblings. Of course, one day couldn’t erase decades of unspoken conversations and hidden feelings but it was one step in the right direction. 

« Joohyun is painting again » Her mother announced to make small talk, which gained the attention of her father that raised his gaze above his newspaper. 

« Yes, isn’t it great? » Kyung-Mi carefully glanced at their father « It’s a good way to relieve stress. It’s very healthy and efficient in a way. I read that having a hobby improve work performance » 

« As long as you do your homework properly and your grades don’t lower » He said before looking at his watch and sighing. He folded his newspaper and stood up « I might work late this evening so I’ll see you tomorrow morning » He left the dining room and the three women were now among themselves. They continued eating in silence and Joohyun was the first to leave. 

« See you later » She waved and left. 

Her mother watched her with a suspicious gaze and when she heard the front door close and put her eyes on Kyung-Mi who was peacefully eating her yogurt « Have you kept an eye on your sister? » The young woman stopped the spoon that was about to enter and slowly looked at her. 

« Of course, like always. Why? Is it because she looks better now? » 

« Yes, she changed, don’t you think? » Her mother asked. 

« She did. It’s crazy how stress was eating her up, huh? If painting can help her, I’m all for it, like I said » Her mother nodded but there was still something bugging her.

« What about her classmate, Kang Seulgi? Did you look into it? » 

Kyung-Mi cleared « Yeah, they got paired up for the literature project but that’s all. You know Joohyun, she won’t miraculously make friends, mom » 

« Okay » She nodded to herself « It’s good that she’s focused on school and we don’t really know how good her classmates can be for her anyway. However, I would like it if she had connections. For her future job, it’s important. I’m not asking her to make friends just acquaintances, you know how it is? » Kyung-Mi nodded « Maybe I can find her some at the church » 

« Mom, don’t go present people to Joohyun. She won’t like it and will close off even more » 

« I know » She sighed. 

« I’ll keep an eye on her, I promise » She told her, hoping that it would it enough to keep her away. 

-

Joohyun arrived at school in a good mood, even the breakfast with her family went well. She really could get used to feeling this way, so positive and excited about life. She didn’t even notice the surprised and curious looks the other students were sending her. They were not used to seeing her like this. The cold queen definitely changed, and shocked faces were appearing when they saw her with her new group of friends. 

« Someone’s in a good mood » Yeri cooed, high-fiving Joohyun as she walked up to them. 

« Good morning to you guys too » She said with a big smile. Her eyes briefly met Seulgi’s and butterflies flew in her stomach. 

« I think you’re becoming an attraction » Seugwan looked around at the other students whose gazes were set on them. 

« Let them » Joohyun shrugged « Let’s buy some snacks before class starts » She led them away. A small smile appeared on Seulgi’s face as she looked at her. It amazed her how far Joohyun had come. Not only did she accept the truth within herself but she also freed herself from the public gaze. She inhaled happily and walked beside her. She wanted to be by her side for as long as she could. 

-

Days went by, all more bright than the precedent. Joohyun woke up with a smile on her face and lived life as fully as she could. She had a great time by herself (she could finally look at her reflection in the mirror and loved what she saw), she had a good time with her friends, and last but not least, she got even closer to Seulgi. Of course, they passed a lot of time together at school and with their friends but they called each other and video called every chance they got. Morning or evening, it didn’t matter. They stuck to each other like glue. And behind their backs, Seungwan, Sooyoung, and Yeri were melting and conspiring to push them subtly toward each other, hoping it would make them fall faster. 

But they already fell. Hard. 

One day after school, Joohyun decided to go to Rêve Park, specifically to the waterfall, Seulgi’s secret place. It had become a bit of a haven where she could unwind. She took deep breaths, watching the water follow its course peacefully. 

« If this place wasn’t already perfect enough » Joohyun turned in surprise but her lips upturned as she was met with the gorgeous figure of Seulgi and her unbeatable eye-smile « It sure is now » Seulgi looked at her with warm eyes. Joohyun felt her cheeks burn but she didn’t mind because she felt the same. 

« Great minds think alike I guess » She chuckled. Seulgi snorted and came to sit next to her. They stayed a moment in silence, both watching the waterfall in front. Slowly, Joohyun’s eyes shifted to stare at the girl next to her. 

« Am I as beautiful as the landscape? » Joohyun blushed profusely at her words and Seulgi turned her head to meet her eyes. 

« You are » She answered, feeling the air leave her lungs. Seulgi looked at her with intensity before leaning closer. Joohyun froze, her heart drumming in her chest with anticipation. Their lips met softly and they felt transported to space. 

 

________________________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed? 

See you next week :) 

-J