The Truth

Crossing The Line

A new week began and Joohyun felt her mother’s eyes on her more than usual. It wasn’t direct. It was a couple of glances when she thought she wasn’t looking but Joohyun could tell. It made her nervous and paranoid but she convinced herself that if her mother knew the truth then it would have already been exposed by now. But she couldn’t shake off these looks. There was something going on that even Kyung-Mi and Hyun-Woo didn’t know. 

Nonetheless, she went to school and enjoyed herself during the day with her newfound friends and her girlfriend. Just thinking about that word gave her butterflies. It was still unbelievable that she and Seulgi started dating, so she enjoyed every moment of it to the fullest. 

She met Seulgi in front of the school on that Friday morning and immediately buried herself in her protective arms. 

« How are you? » Seulgi asked genuinely like every day. 

« Good. I slept well. You? » She looked up at her. 

« There was something missing in my bed » Seulgi sighed very seriously and Joohyun frowned suddenly concerned before Seulgi smirked saying « You » 

Joohyun rolled her eyes with a smile and hit her arm « You  » 

Seulgi laughed and took her hand, leading her inside the main building. Joohyun stopped her for a moment to give her a kiss before they walked again. They met their friends at the lockers. A thing that became very common now. Joohyun got to say, she didn’t just find love when she got close to Seulgi, she also found amazing friends. 

« Hey, girls! » Sooyoung was the first to see them « Seul, you have a lipstick mark on the corner of your mouth » She smirked. Seulgi blushed and wiped it away while Joohyun bit her bottom lip to suppress her laughter. How Seulgi could be so cute, she didn’t know. 

« Okay, lovebirds! » Yeri clasped her hands to get the attention of the two couples « My moms are organizing a barbecue party tomorrow afternoon. They waited last minute to see about the weather but they slipped a little word to your parents and they’ll call them today to confirm. Well, except your parents, Joohyun, of course » Joohyun nodded understandingly, as well as the others « So since your parents are coming I can count on you guys, right? » Seungwan, Sooyoung, and Seulgi nodded excitedly at the invitation. Yeri turned toward Joohyun « What about you? » 

« I would love to » She smiled brightly. It was going to be a good time for sure. Her friends and Seulgi will be there. Also, she really liked Yeri’s moms. She was a bit nervous about Seulgi’s parents being there because, well, let’s be honest, she wanted them to approve of her for their daughter. She didn’t know how Seungwan’s parents were but by what Seulgi had told her they were very nice and fun to be around. The other thing that made her nervous was Sooyoung’s parents because she knew hers. Hopefully, they wouldn’t say anything when they’ll see them at church. Joohyun was pretty sure they wouldn’t because Yeri’s or Seulgi’s parents will explain to them her situation. 

« Hey! » Seulgi grabbed her attention « Maybe you could stay over at my house after that? My mom feels a bit guilty that she might have scared you last Saturday » 

Joohyun chuckled « It’s okay, truly. In retrospect, it was quite funny. Embarrassing but funny » 

Seulgi snorted before looking back at her « So is that a yes for tomorrow night? » 

Joohyun faked thinking about it before leaning closer, wrapping her arms around one of hers « Of course, dummy » 

« Gross » Yeri closed her locker, yet with a small smile as the couple looked at her with big smiles « So, that’s great. Everyone’s in » She buzzed with anticipation « Just be ready because my moms’ barbecue is a mix of Korean and American foods that will make your stomachs burst » 

« I won’t eat any breakfast tomorrow » Seulgi swore. 

« I wouldn’t promise that if I were you » Seungwan snorted knowingly « Remember that time you tried to be on a diet? » 

« That wasn’t the same » Seulgi grunted but Seungwan sensed Joohyun’s interest and told her:

« She nearly swallowed three cans of Pringles and two boxes of Choco Pies after only two days » 

« It wasn’t that much » Seulgi complained. 

« I left out the strawberries covered with chocolate » Seungwan revealed with a proud grin and Seulgi groaned in defeat. 

« It’s okay, Seul. You’re cute when you eat » Joohyun said which made Seulgi instantly feel happy « I’ll cook for you anytime you’ll be hungry » She promised. 

« Are you even a good cook? » Sooyoung raised an eyebrow playfully and Joohyun squinted her eyes at her. 

« You would be surprised » 

« I’ll wait for the proof of that » Sooyoung smirked. 

-

On Saturday morning, Joohyun was in the best mood she could be. She prepared her bag peacefully before making her way downstairs. She went to the living room to tell her mom about her plans so that they wouldn’t worry that she won’t be back that night. Initially, she had thought of just sending her a text message but she knew that she wasn’t too keen on that. She was the type to prefer conversations and Joohyun wanted to be on her good side. However, the look in her mother’s eyes made her suddenly worried that she might not be able to go. She had told her she would go study at a friend’s house for a big upcoming test, something she had done in the past and something that her mother never questioned despite the fact that she knew she didn’t have friends at the time. Before she even got an answer, she spoke up. 

« Well, see you tomorrow » She gave them a small smile that only Kyung-Mi and Hyun-Woo reciprocated. She rushed to the door and never looked back. 

Her mother stared at the empty space that Joohyun had occupied with heavy thoughts. Mr. Bae stared at his wife with suspicions. 

« What is going on exactly? » He asked. Mrs. Bae turned her head toward him « There’s something you aren’t telling me, right? » This grabbed the attention of the two siblings who directed their gazes toward their mother. Mrs. Bae sighed heavily, visibly torn between keeping quiet or saying what was going on « Tell me » Mr. Bae stood up « Is it about Joohyun? Are you not okay with her staying over at a friend’s house? » 

« She’s not staying at a friend’s house » Mrs. Bae snapped. Kyung-Mi and Hyun-Woo looked at one another in panic and stood up as well. Their mother caught their distraught state and her eyes widened « You knew, didn’t you? » Kyung-Mi only stared back at her but Hyun-Woo’s face screamed guilty. Mrs. Bae looked at her daughter sternly « I asked you to keep an eye on your sister so she wouldn’t deviate from her path and you lied to me about it » She accused. 

« Can someone tell me what the heck is going on? » Mr. Bae raised his voice. 

« What is going on is that your daughter is staying at her girlfriend’s house » 

« Her what? » He frowned and Kyung-Mi closed her eyes while her jaw clenched. 

« There was something fishy about her being so…happy and excited lately. I knew it wasn’t about painting so I followed her » 

« You did what? » Kyung-Mi asked outraged. 

« I followed her last Saturday when she went out. She met Kang Seulgi and they had a little date together. I saw them kiss » She said angrily. Mr. Bae and Hyun-Woo took a seat back and Kyung-Mi put her hands on her head in frustration. 

« You knew for a week and you didn’t tell me » Mr. Bae said to his wife. 

« I barely processed that. What was I supposed to say? » 

« The truth » He sighed and stood up again « Where is she now? » 

« Wait, you want to go to her? » Kyung-Mi asked. 

« Yes, I need to get answers » He replied. 

« I think that’s pretty straightforward » Hyun-Woo let out and they all stared at him « What? Joohyun is dating Kang Seulgi. That’s a fact. What is there to understand? » 

« Everything » Mr. Bae yelled before turning to his wife « Where does she live? » 

« She’s not there » Kyung-Mi stopped them. 

« Where then? » 

« In a place full of people » She explained as Joohyun had told her about her weekend’s plan « Is it what you want? Create a scene? » She raised an eyebrow. 

« If you don’t tell me, I’ll involve my friends in the police » He pointed his finger angrily at her « You know how connected I am » He warned. 

« And yet, you couldn’t see what was going on in your damn house » She spat just as angrily. 

« Don’t speak to me in this tone. I’m your father » He yelled. 

« Well, sir, if I may » Mrs. Shin made her presence known « I think it’s time you finally get out of your bubble » They all stared at her stunned. 

 

__________________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter? 

See you next week for more drama ;) 

-J