Beside you, there's no death

Logan and Su Ryeon Stories

Author's note: My friends, this is a sad one, please be prepared. It takes place between the finale and the afterlife scene. Logan and Seok Hoon deal with Su Ryeon's passing. I wrote it trying to make sense of the whole finale, and the only thing that does compute is Logan's decision, tragic as it may be.

_____

 

 

 

What is grief if not love persevering.

 

_____

 

Seok Hoon bursted through the doors of Logan's house as the mansion's butler tried to hold him back.

 

"Please, sir, the master is busy-" he attempted to halt the young man, who was resisting his firm grip.

 

"Where's Logan? I have to see him right now", Seok Hoon demanded desperately. He may be physically restrained but he would see Logan no matter what. Even a house that big wouldn't hide him.

 

The butler insisted. "I'm afraid that won't be possible for-"

 

"Let him in".

 

A stern voice rang through the foyer and both men turned their head upwards. Logan stood on top of the circling stairs and signalled for the butler to leave them alone.

 

He descended the stairs with a look of inevitability in his eyes. He could imagine the reason behind Seok Hoon's sudden visit.

 

The two men hadn't seen each other for a long time, both devastated by Su Ryeon's passing. Seok Hoon was there for his sister and tried to focus on his studies, to be the best accompanist for Rona's beautiful voice. Logan had turned away from the world, only working on the arts fund and rarely meeting people. His weakened body beared the scars of his grief.

 

"Logan! Tell me it isn't true!" Seok Hoon exclaimed. "Secretary Hong told me your cancer's coming back. He told me," he swallowed, "he told me you denied the treatment".

 

"Seok Hoon..." Logan lowered his eyes, unable to explain the crushing weight of his grief to the young man, who'd also lost his mother.

 

"So it's true! Logan sem, you can't do that! Mom wouldn't want that. She'd want you to be happy."

 

"Kid", he called affectionately. "Your mother was my happiness". He looked outside the window, facing the green of the scenery, all the colours of nature a celebration of life.

 

"You made her happy too".

 

"I don't know about that". Logan thinks if Su Ryeon saw real happiness with him, she wouldn't have gone where he can't follow. All he wanted in this life was to protect her and to make her happy and he failed at both.

 

"You can't just wait to die. Rona is so fond of you" Seok Hoon pleaded, his eyes showing his affection.

 

"And I am too. For both of you. And I intend to help her achieve her dream. I promise that. I'll complete the arts fund, I'll see through it till the end".

 

"Sem, it will be painful. You only have a couple of years to live if the cancer progresses. Why don't you do the treatment?"

 

Logan's lip quivers and his eyes burn with years. He takes a breath, unable to hide the sorrow running deep in his soul.

 

"I want to go to your mother".

 

Silence lies between them except the rare cries and sniffs of Seok Hoon. Logan's confession has left him unable to process. He lost his mother and the man who loved her wants nothing else than to join her.

 

Logan touches the young man's shoulder in a fatherly gesture.

 

"Your mother", he starts, "she was everything to me. You see, before her I lived a borrowed life. Built on Sol A's sacrifice. I didn't deserve it. And Su Ryeon convinced me I did. She was the only thing I was sure of. I bought the engagement ring three days after our first kiss", he chuckles at the memory. "I had no doubt I wanted to spend my life with her. Give her my time, my body and soul".

 

"Sem..."

 

"My life is hers. I don't want it if she's not in it. I don't expect you to agree with my decision. But I'm telling you, I can't live without her and I won't. I can't bear it anymore".

 

Understanding passes through Seok Hoon's eyes. He knows Logan means every word. There's nothing to say that will change his mind. Wild horses couldn't hold him back from going to her.

 

"Do you think she's waiting for you?"

 

"I know she does. She comes in my dreams. I know she misses me as much I do her. I have to go to her. She's waiting for me. To finally have our happy ending".

 

---

 

Three years later

 

Seok Hoon holds Rona's hand tightly as they they're nearing the fated cliff. The same one that took both of their mothers. Logan's only wish was to spread his ashes there, at the same spot Su Ryeon died, to find her easily in the afterlife.

 

"Do you think they are together, finally?" Rona asks, gazing at the landscape, the grey of the rocks swallowed by the blue hues of the water.

 

"Yes. Logan found mom so she's never going to be alone again. She's not coming to my dreams anymore, it means she finally found peace."

 

"They both did. I'll remember them every time I sing".

 

They look at each other, honoring Su Ryeon's sacrifice with their happiness. They interlock their fingers and smile.

 

"We'll remember them forever".

 

---

 

Author's note: 

Thank you for sticking with me. As Ted Lasso said, 'It to be sad. But it more to be sad alone'. Drop me a comment and let's be sad and happy together. (There's an alternative, happy version of this too.)