Part of you, part of me, part special

Logan and Su Ryeon Stories

Su Ryeon feels the world crumbling below her. She can’t move her feet and the floor seems to disappear, as does her sight. What is happening?, is the last thing that crosses her mind before she drifts out of consciousness into the magnetic pull of some internal fog.

“Boss! Ms Shim! You’re awake”, a familiar voice shakes Su Ryeon out of her trance. She opens her eyes groggily. “You got dizzy and you were out for a few minutes”, Im Shoo Ha answers the question that just forms in her head.

Su Ryeon looks around the new artist’s quaint atelier and remembers where she is. She’s come to get a feel of the young woman’s work and determine if she’s a right fit for exhibition at the Shimoon gallery.

“It must have been the paint, I’m working with special acrylics and you must have inhaled a lot when watching the fresh painting”. She points at the one who caught Su Ryeon’s attention as soon as she entered. It’s a mesh of a picturesque mountain landscape and some gruesome metallic additions that obscure the view and create a sense of imprisonment to the viewer. It’s the sense of imprisonment women face in corporate world, Shoo Ah had started explaining before her benefactor passed out, thankfully leaning against the wall while the painter maneuvered her to the sofa.

“Stay here. I’m getting you some water”.

She exited in a hurry, leaving Su Ryeon to wonder how powerful these chemicals can be, making her dizzy despite her daily contact with painting equipment.

That should have been her first clue, but Su Ryeon accepted the glass, finished her appointment by signing the artist and went home in timfamily dinner.

Little did she know, during the delicious meal Logan prepared, she was in fact eating for two.

---
Friday night comes quickly, between the gallery work, the school board agenda and the kids’ college applications, she’s barely spent time with Logan. She shoots him a voice message, her favorite mode of communication with him, and confirms their dinner date. When she puts on her adored McQueen pencil skirt, she’s so excited about the evening, she doesn’t even notice the waistband is a tiny bit snug on her lithe figure. She completes the look with gold chain earrings, the ones that Logan almost bit off her ear in a memorable car ride that had them both avoiding eye contact with his driver for days to come.

Dinner is delicious, the simple but well prepared meal complimenting the romantic atmosphere of the restaurant. There are candles hanging from an intricately made ceiling ornament and from their table they can feast on the lake view.

A waiter interrupts their light chat and offers to have them seated at the lounge area, a quiet part with sofas and the best view to enjoy their wine and dessert.

As they’re settling in the sofa, Logan pulls her into his arms, her head resting on his chest. He continues his thought. “The kids are leaving, darling. I know we’ve talked about it and you’re happy for them, as am I, but it’s a big change. Are you sure you’re alright? Is there anything I can do?”

“Logan, you’re doing everything already. And I love that you’re worried about my feelings”

“Always”. He assures her quietly.

“I’m getting used to it. Rona’s already gone to Juliard and I’m happy Seok Hoon is following her. And Seok Kyun is travelling the world for a year. She’s gonna be such a different person when she comes back having seen how other people live. I’m so proud of her.”

“And you should. But Hye In will be staying on campus too. We’ll get to see them all of course, but they’ll mostly be out of the house, having their own life. Are you ready for that?” He asks with gentle concern.

“I’m never going to be ready to say goodbye to our kids. I’ll cry when packing their bags and in the airport. Or when you cry.” They laugh. “I’ll always be their mom and when they leave they’ll carry a part of me with them.”

Logan runs his fingers up and down her arm calmingly.

“But I’ll still talk to them and be a part of their new life, as involved as they want us in it. And besides, this last year they’ve been so independent, they’re more like our roommates than our babies.”

“It’s a good thing. They were forced to grow up fast, but they’ve matured into sensible adults. For the most part.”

“Yes. I’ll be alright, we both will. I just wished I had a little longer with their cute faces. Kids are really the best trouble”.

“You’re a wonderful mother. I’m honored you’re sharing that part of you with me”.

“Remember that in their next tantrum, please”.

“I will”, he promises with a peck on her delicate nose. Su Ryeon smiles, picturing the future.

“Lovely. Now can we please get another bottle wine cause I find this one’s bouquet a little strong?”

“Of course, darling. I didn’t know, it’s the brand we always get. But I’ll get us one you like”. He signals to a waiter for the catalogue and new glasses.

“Hey” she runs a finger through his cheek and Logan leans to her touch. “You can still drink it” she says as her smile turns tempting, “I only like tasting it on your lips”. As if to prove her point, she inches closer to him and touches her lips to his. Hers are parted, the intention unmistakable as Logan gets the point and deepens the kiss. She feels his arms tighten around her and a thumb caressing the exposed white skin where her skirt stops and her blouse has risen up.

It’s an exquisite feeling, being desired. Her beauty hasn’t escaped many men, but Logan wants her truly and wholeheartedly.  As he maps her skin with his eyes closed, knowing the ways of her body and constantly discovering new ones, Su Ryeon feels truly cherished. She makes a cute noise of excitement as he places kisses on her neck, like laying down promises of what’s about to come.

They slowly stop and put their foreheads together, as what’s about to come is in no way appropriate for a semi private dining establishment like this one and they have to keep their wits together, tempting as the alternative may be.

Later that night, she makes two clever decisions: first, leave the wine completely as she can’t bear the smell, and second, take the rest of the desert to go. To be enjoyed at home, intimately, with no interruptions.

Something distant is trying to pull Su Ryeon out of the depths of sleep. As it nears the side of her neck, she realizes it’s a feather light touch on her hair.

“Hey” Logan says quietly as she opens her eyes. He’s standing on the bed, already dressed for the day, the tie still undone on his shirt, giving him a y morning look.

“Good morning beautiful”. Su Ryeon rubs her eyes lazily as the man she loves watches her with a smile. He always wakes up early, either cuddling with her or making breakfast.

“G’d morning”, she mumbles adorably. “Why are you ready so early?”

“I have to get to work, it’s better to have a lead on the European market for the contract. But I’ll see you in a few hours. Early lunch?”

“Alright. I’ll come to you as soon as my meeting ends.”

“You have the final artist selection today”.

“You remembered”.

“Of course”. He presses a small kiss at her nose making her blush. Ironic that she does, given all the other kisses she remembers from last night. “Sleep some more, then. I’ve made you pancakes. They’re in the oven.”

“I’ll eat them well” she says and pecks his lips. She does it again once, twice until he melts on top of her and deepens the kiss. Her hands finds their way behind his neck, pulling him impossibly close. He offers no resistance, embracing her womanly frame as he pulls her waist closer. They explore each other lazily as the quietness around them protects their moments from the harshness of the world outside. It’s only the two of them at this moment in time and enjoy the unhurried pace of their kissing.

As Logan’s lips venture south of her neck, pausing to play with her rose gold pendant adorning her satin clad chest, she remembers that their morning activities can't extend to their full, enjoyable duration.

“Didn’t you say you had work?”

“What is work” he asks grumpily, resting his head on her sternum. He knows he has to go, despite leaving the person he loves the most in warm cloud of pillows and silk sheets. And a white lace nightgown as if she wasn’t a heavenly sight already.

They reluctantly exchange goodbyes and she watches him leave as sleep reclaims her.

Her excitement to eat Logan’s pancakes evaporates spectacularly as soon as she smells their aroma in the kitchen. Instead of it making water, it leads her rather urgently to empty her stomach in the kitchen sink.

I couldn’t even wait to reach the bathroom, is her first though. But it’s quickly overshadowed by the next, more relevant one: Am I pregnant?

The speed and efficiency with which she conducts the meeting has everyone silently impressed. Her assistant inquires about her refreshingly energetic attitude today, mistaking it for a heavily caffeinated passion for work. The second part is always true, but she didn’t need any caffeine ingestion to be on her toes. Five pregnancy tests achieved the same result.

She laughs at herself at how slow she was to realize it, the signs present for days. It’s been years since she was pregnant, but she is immediately transformed to that time. It was expected but sudden then, as it is now. She was with someone she loved. Same answer. She was happy. She’s not just happy now, she’s at peace. Whereas then her life was sheltered and innocent, now she’s fought the evils of the world and has come back victorious. With a partner fighting beside her and facing the world together, knowing how ugly it can be. She’s not just gonna give love to this baby, she’ll give them her scarred but beating heart and Logan’s courage.

Logan. How is he going to take it? He’s happy treating her kids as his own and has voiced that he doesn’t expect anything from her, anything more than the family they already have.

She tries not to let worries ruin her mood and drives to his office just above the speed limit.

She knocks on his door, the glass material immediately revealing her excited face.

“Come in”. Logan’s puts the phone call on hold and gestures her to sit on the sofa. “Give me a few minutes to finish this call and then we’re going”.

Su Ryeon nods and heads to the glass wall on the side, giving an amazing view of the part of Seoul where dreams are coming to life for those with ingenuity or money. She bounces off her feet, barely hiding her excitement. A cheery melody escapes her lips as she sneak glances at her hot businessman partner. Her mind scans for ways to tell him and she fidgets with her engagement ring. Her feet can't seem to stop moving and she looks around worriedly.

“You’ll have to hash out the details with my partner, Attorney Ha.” Logan says as looks at Su Ryeon and back to the phone. “Something came up and I’m afraid I have to go. I’m leaving you in the most capable hands”.

As soon as he redirects the call, Logan jumps off his chair and reaches her side.

“What happened?” He gently angles her face towards him. “You seem worried. Tell me”.

The lack of hesitation in prioritizing her among anything else is what breaks her. This man would move mountains if she even implied she was not okay. It’s these small things proving he wants to make her happy, actively and every day. At the sight of tears Logan immediately puts his arms around her, securing her in his embrace.

“Hey, hey”. He rubs her back to calm her and cradles her head with his large palm. “I’m here. Tell me in your own time”. He continues supporting her weight and soothing her until she faces up to him.

“No. I’m not sad. These are happy tears” Logan sights in relief and rubs her shoulders as his eyes search hers. “I love you”.

“I love you so much”. Their foreheads touch and they close their eyes.

A beat.

“And I’m pregnant” Logan’s eyes open with lightning speed and his mouth hangs.

“You...” he looks down at her stomach, as if she’d suddenly show, and then back at her face. “Su Ryeon”, he tries, “my love”, the words are struggling to leave his mouth as emotion overwhelms him. “Are we having a baby?” Tears glister in his eyes but his focus in own her, as if she opened a magic door leading to his dreams.

“We are. We’re going to be parents again.” Her hands find his and squeeze. “You’re happy, right?”

He pulls her to a hug so close he can feel her heartbeat on his skin.

“Happy doesn’t even describe it. All I want is you and our big family like I never had and you’re making my dream come true. I want a mini you walking around and bossing me with cuteness. This part of me and part of you and part special is gonna come into this world. I can’t wait to meet her.”

This is the reaction she hoped for, once again Logan’s heart is in sync with hers. He wipes his eyes and pads his handkerchief to her cheeks, trapping her own. He kisses her forehead sweetly, both overwhelmed by the revelation.

“How do you know it’s gonna be a girl?”

“I just know”. He smiles mysteriously and kisses her again.

His smile is no longer mysterious, but elated as they see their daughter for the first time, eight months later. Su Ryeon shines in her exhaustion, the life’s miracle cradled on her chest as Logan hugs them both.

They’re at the same hospital room that he first revealed his love and now he sees it blossom in the eyes of his wife and daughter.

He feels Min Sol A’s spirit smiling upon them and whispers a thank you to the sky for this blessing.