In Suspended Time- Part 2

Logan and Su Ryeon Stories
Author's note: It's my birthday today, so I'm gifting this to you. It was supposed to be a one shot, but you all liked it and I kept adding scenes. Who knows, maybe there's an epilogue too. 
 
___
 
 
One Year Ago
 

"Do you want to move in together?". The words were out of Logan's mouth before he has a chance to process them, effectively betraying his true feelings. 

 

Su Ryeon lifts her head from the pillow and rests it on her hand, giving him her full attention.

 

"I'm still technically married", she evades, lifting the blue sheet of his hotel room bed to cover herself protectively. How can this man talk about a future together, when all they have is stolen moments while climbing the steep mountain of revenge.

 

"Separated." He grunts. "But I meant after. After we're done with your revenge and punished Ju Dan Tae and his lover. Do you want to start our lives together? We could take your kids to the US with us. They have great music schools". He's only met her kids a few times, and she introduction him as her business partner. She'd shielded them from her revenge, but they're still the biggest part of her life. A part which Logan has fully accepted. She inspects his face as he continues hopefully. "You could open a gallery there, the one you've always dreamed of. And we could be happy. A fresh start, where no one knows us. Together". His eyes sparkle with hope. She has to crush it, sooner or later. A happy ending isn't in her future. Revenge consumes everything.

 

"Logan, I can't think that far. I can only focus on avenging my daughter right now. I can't be making plans for the future. Who knows how this all ends".

 

"I'm not expecting anything from you, you don't have to make a commitment you're not ready for." Once again, he's in sync with her. It makes it all the more difficult when they will inevitably part ways. "The only thing I ask is, whatever future you see, am I part of it?"

 

She doesn't even see a future for herself, how can she be happy with him? Ju Dan Tae will no go down smoothly, she's aware she'll have to pay the ultimate price.

 

"I hope so", she whispers gravely and kisses the pout forming on his mouth. Without breaking the kiss, she brings her body on top of his, deepening the kiss. Logan sights and his hands come around her, unable and unwilling to resist. She rests her hand on his firm chest, feeling it swell and deflate as his breathing becomes more and more erratic. She loves the effect she has on him, trapping his senses like he captures hers. In this room, there's no impeding doom or imminent danger, there's only them, healing each other with their love. Logan covers her hand with his and she wonders how many nights she has left, before she has to say goodbye and leave his embrace forever.

 

---

 

Present Day

 

"Logan"

 

He turns around slowly and gathers himself. Seeing her up close, it's harder. As if the universe is conspiring to torture him, she's even more beautiful and distant.

 

"Su Ryeon Ssi". She smiles at his inability to drop the honourifics. He'd always call her that, even when they were sharing a bed and a toothbrush.

 

"What are you doing here?" She asks politely and brings her hands to her lap. After his initial shock, he can appreciate every aspect of her. The pink satin dress resting easily on her curves, the lines of her eyelids, the thin gold chain around her neck, disappearing tantalisingly into her decolletage under the dress. Every part of her sparkles, yet her eyes look lost.

 

"Business with the Rots. What about you? Helping your husband gain more real estate?" He lets out bitterly.

 

"He's in business with the family as well, I'm here to assist".

 

"I don't believe you".

 

"Logan..."

 

"Don't say my name. Please. Don't", he pleads with a pained expression. "I can't do the whole politeness thing. As if you haven't crushed my heart to pieces just when I asked you to-"

 

---

 

One year ago

 

They're staying together in his hotel room. Su Ryeon has left Ju Dan Tae, after witnessing his cruelty and greed. They are sharing a bed and everything else. It's temporary, until they trap Dan Tae and make him pay for his sins, but the comfort they're enjoying creates the illusion that they can stay like this forever.

 

Su Ryeon exits the shower in a white bathrobe and sets to dry her hair with a towel in front of the vanity mirror Logan has set up for her. He's doing everything for her to be more comfortable, even ordering her favourite flowers. He's making a home for her, trying to get her to stay. She'd love nothing more. 

 

Logan sees her reflection and closes his laptop, coming to her. He takes the towel from her hands and starts dabbing it lightly on her hair, paying extra attention to edges. Then, he throws the towel away and massages her sculp, his fingers creating patterns of pleasure. Su Ryeon makes a noise of approval, her eyes closed and surrenders to his attentions.

 

Her head falls behind, resting on his chest and he parts her hair and kisses her forehead. He could get used to this, the casual intimacy. He hasn't been searching for love, but he sure found it in her arms. 

 

"Marry me". He kneels down in front of her to be at eye level with her, as she turns around on the vanity stool.

 

He produces a rectangular box from a shelf on the vanity. At her surprise, he opens it.

 

"I got this after our first kiss. Months ago. But I was sure then you're the person I want to spend my life with. I'm more sure now, after spending my days with you. You're the only woman for me. I want to help you get revenge and make you happy. So happy you can't bear to be away from me". He takes the ring, a gold barrel with diamonds circling it and puts it on her slender finger. It's a perfectly fit. "Will you marry me?"

 

She can't help the tears from falling down. She doesn't want to lie to him, tell him about Dan Tae's ultimatum and how she will eventually have to side with evil to trap him. So she offers the only truth she has.

 

"I love you, Logan". She lowers her head to kiss him and he melts. Her hands caress his cheeks and pull him closer. He sits up, not breaking the kiss and her body is glued to his. He lowers himself and gathers her in his arms, carrying her to bed as if it's the first night of marriage. Su Ryeon continues kissing him and the night falls as they consume their love, one breath at a time. 

 

She wants to map all of him before she leaves.

 

-----

 

Present day

 

"-to marry me". His words hang in the air painfully.

 

She looks around to see if anyone heard them. This is not the place to spill their secret past, she still has a job to do. Let Ju Dan Tae strike a deal with Leena Rot, tape him bribing her to give his construction company the rights to the project, use this last piece of evidence to put him away for good. Her plan would leave him penniless and in prison. In addition, because she can't trust the judicial system fully this time, she'll publicize his real name and he'll be wanted by the police for the double murder and identity theft. If he somehow evades police, he'll be at the hands of merciless debt collectors that Baek Jun Ki has angered.

 

Of course, she can't disclose any of that to the seething but loyal man before her. 

 

"Are you afraid they're going to hear us? It's not like you were the one who's been left". He still guides her to a more quiet place.

 

"I hurt you", she admits. But at least you are alive. 

 

Logan laughs bitterly. "There's no word for feeling like the person you'd die to protect leaves without a word".

 

I died to protect you too.
 

She died when she left him that day, still sleeping on the bed, dreaming of a future together.

 

"Did I do anything wrong? Did I hurt you without realising it?"

 

"What? Of course not. My days with you-", she trails off. "I had to leave". 

 

"Then why did you kiss me?" he cries with exasperation. His features contort, betraying his agony. "I asked you to leave for the US together and you kissed me. I asked you to marry me and you kissed me", he throws his hands in the air. "Why couldn't you just say no?"

 

His outburst leaves him breathless. 

 

She has no answer she can give him. Her hand instinctively touches the space on her chest 

 

"I will explain someday". She gives him the least bit of assurance, but his features still betray anger. "But not today. There's still something I have to do and I can't have you interfering-"

 

"What do you mean?" He grabs her wrist and pulls her closer. He's not applying pressure, only with his eyes on hers. "I though you abandoned your revenge and got back together with him, what do you still have to do?"

 

She shouldn't have said that, now he's searching her face for answers, like he did when she left him.

 

"Nothing. I have to go before he sees us". 

 

"I'm not afraid of your husband. What's he going to do, take you away from me? You already left!"

 

"I had to!" She extradicates herself from his hold, instantly missing his touch. He was always pulling her close to him, even in his sleep.

 

"Tell me why! Am I not owed at least an explanation?"

 

"She doesn't owe you anything". A voice breaks them apart.

 

"Ju Dan Tae". Logan's jaw tenses and his eyes are fuming. Ju Dan Tae smiles at him mockingly, showing his teeth.

 

"Logan. Good to see you again. I see that you didn't learn your lesson. Don't try to take things away from me". He threatens and he squeezes Su Ryeon's shoulder as he says that. She averts her eyes, hiding her wince.

 

"People are not things. But you're using them as such, you son of a ".

 

"Don't be a sore loser, boy. If you'll excuse us, I'm going to take my wife dancing now. Say hello to your parents for me". His eyes glint at the last thing and she wonders if Logan caught the insinuation.

 

Dan Tae parts with an icy smile of the man who has won at every turn. Logan doesn't hide his disgust. As he guides Su Ryeon to the bar area, she turns around and throwsn a sad look straight into Logan's eyes, with the precision of an arrow. A second later, it's gone. They keep walking as they didn't completely derrail his night. Fitting, he thinks, as they've both altered the course of his life, Su Ryeon with her plans and love, Dan Tae with his uncalled for violence. He takes a large swing of his drink. 

 

---

 

As soon as they leave Logan, Dan Tae pulls her with him up the stairs, to a remote room on the first floor. He releases her hand harshly and corners her between a glass wall.

 

"What the hell do you think you're doing, Su Ryeon?" She looks at him defiantly. "Didn't you learn your lesson last time? If you go against me, I'll kill the people you love". He counts in his finger and smiles maniacally. "One. By. One".

 

"Kejasi" she spits the words. "Make your deal and let's go. I can't bear to be close to you".

 

"Where were you hiding that mouth for twenty years, honey? You'll be with me whether you like it or not. Need I remind you what happens if you don't?"

 

"Shut up. I know you're going to blame Na Ae Gyo's murder on Logan. But I want you to know, Logan's life is the only reason I agreed to come back to you. His safety's the only reason you're not behind bars or six feet under. I walked away from him then, and it was the hardest thing I had ever done. Because I loved him. No one has ever loved you that much. Not the kids, not Ae Gyo, not your mother."

 

He pushes her hands against in a move to choke her. 

 

"If you lay a hand on me, everyone's will learn that you're a fraud. You're not the real Ju Dan Tae, you're just a cruel opportunist. I don't care if I go down with you, I swear if you touch me or Logan, I'll drag you to hell". 

 

---

 

In the shadows, a tall figure hides, listening to the confrontation. He doesn't get everything, only that the love of his life was forced to leave him. She didn't choose to. And she defended him putting her life on the line. Logan can't believe what he heard, his heart is about to explode.

 

---

 

The first notes of a slow dance fill the atmosphere with anticipation. Couples lead each other to the dance floor, all in sync to fill the ballroom with splashes of vibrant fabrics and eager bodies. The lights dim, the soft purple glow illuminating details of the scene, yet hiding the faces from the crowd. 

 

The ladies and their partners find space in the crowded ballroom. Hands are joined together while the warm pull of tension rises. 

 

Su Ryeon holds Dan Tae's hand as lightly as she can, minimizing the contact between their bodies as they swing around the room. He doesn't notice. His arrogance and belief that he won by dangling her past in front of her makes it hard for him to grasp that she is his fiercest opponent yet. 

 

"You're looking at the man who got the biggest construction deal of the year. When you were moping for your ex lover, I was convincing Ms Rot." Dan Tae mocks as he guides their dance.

 

They seem like the perfect couple to the world. Inside, Su Ryeon counts the days until the final stage of her revenge takes place, when she'll be finally free.

 

"Congratulations" she says.

 

"Now, give it a little more passion, would you? You're my wife, after all" they spin around. "Or do you want me to, i don't know, tell the kids about your adventure? I'm sure they'll still see you the same when they found out you had an affair".

 

"The only one with an affair was you."

 

The music changes to a heavy waltz. He pulls her close and offers his parting words. "No one will believe you. I have photos of you. I'll take the kids away and they will never talk to you again. Don't go against me", he spins her forcefully around and the group changes partners. 

 

Su Ryeon loses her balance for a moment as she spins with no real direction in a sea of bodies she can't really see. 

 

Then, two strong arms come find hers, ending her aimless floating. She's been pulled in a warm embrace. 

 

"I got you".

 

---

 

One Year Ago

 

They're walking side by side on the park, the autumn leaves painting their path in warm tones. He's showing her pictures of her, on who now knows it's Na Ae Gyo, with Ju Dong Man. There are rumours she'd deduced him to get construction deals. 

 

Logan, naturally, doesn't entertain the possibility. He believes her. But still it's dangerous to have this kind of gossip floating around, so close to the final of their plan.

 

"We have to stop these rumours, Logan. My kids will hear this. I can't be in the public eye now", she clenches her fists in worry.

 

He turn in front of her, blocking her path. "Hey. Look at me", he brings his hands to her shoulders. "I've already contacted him, he's issuing a statement of denial. The newspaper is an affiliate of my grandmother's company, we'll kill the story in no time. And then we'll be free to move on with the plan", he squeezes her shoulders and moves his hands to cradle her head. "Don't worry. I got you". He brings his lips to her forehead sweetly and just like that, he puts her worries to rest.

 

----

 

Present Day

 

Su Ryeon lifts her eyes to find Logan's. He's holding her close, his long arms a perfect fit to circle her thin frame. She's missed being held by him, the warmth and security of touching someone you love.

 

I got you, too.

 

"You stayed", she remarks hopefully as they dance.

 

"I wanted to leave", he admits. "But when I got to the first floor to get something, I changed my mind".

 

She looks fearfully.

 

"I heard you".

 

She tenses and Logan feels it on her body.

 

"Is it true? Did he force you to leave me back then?"

 

"Logan, please..."

 

"Did he threaten you? Su Ryeon Ssi" he pleads, "there hasn't been a day that I'm not tortured by guilt, for letting you down. I've asked myself what did I do wrong, how did I hurt you, what I should've done for you to stay. If he made you choose him, why not tell me?" The soft lights fall into his lovely features, now marked with pain. "Why?"

 

"Cause you'd be dead!"

 

Shock mares his expression.

 

"You'd be dead by his hand or in jail for murder. He linked you to Na Ae Gyo. He would put you in jail unless I cooperate. He still can!", She doesn't scream, but her words cut through the air. 

 

"You did this for me".

 

"I'd rather have you hate me but safe".

 

"Why didn't you tell me anything? You knew there was an ending and you let me dream of a life together".

 

"I'm sorry. I couldn't give you any clue about my plan. You had to believe I abandoned revenged and got back with Dan Tae."

 

"I would have helped you"

 

"I know. That's why I didn't want to risk it", she feels his hands tightening around her waist. "I still don't". At his sad expression, she presses on. "I still have a plan and I have to see it through. You got your truth, but nothing changes between us".

 

"Everything changes!" The music swells dramatically. "You still love me", he whispers. "Right?"

 

Before she has the chance to reply, he spins her around. In a magic moment, she betrays the answer to his question. As she's spinning in the air, the force of her movement makes her necklace break free from the confines of her dress, revealing its pendant to his eyes. It's none other than the engagement ring he gave her.

 

It sparkles as the lights hit it and illuminate every angle. Every diamond and gold line, a testament to their love. She still wore it, every day under her clothes. 

 

Close to her heart.

 

He catches her in his arms and when she sees what he's looking at, she knows he's put the pieces together. She smiles.

 

They stay like that, drinking each other in, until the song is finished.

 

He takes her by the hand, passing the dancefloor and they escape to the empty balcony.

 

"Ask me again", Su Ryeon takes his hands and holds him close. He knows everything now.

 

"Do you love me?" He asks as he brings one hand to play with the ring on her neck. 

 

"I've loved you from the first time you held me in your arms. And nothing can make me stop".

 

He presses her forehead to hers, resisting the urge to kiss her. He needs to be sure.

 

"Do you want to be with me?"

 

"I do. It's not going to be easy, though. We're not going to be free until I deal with Ju Dan Tae."

 

"I know the risks. But I want to be with you. I'll risk my life to get you free. From him and anyone else."

 

"I love you".

 

Now he doesn't resist, and brings her face close to his, kissing her passionately. Her lips are like returning home, the soft and familiar movement making his mind empty of anything else but her. 

 

His hands explore her, settling on her lower back, leaving prints of his love. She palms his chest, having missed his solid presence all these months. His muscles flex under her touch, giving away his excitement. He buries his hands in her hair, like touching liquid silk. 

 

Every touch of their lips bringing them closer together, tasting each other as they taste the future. 

 

Breathing heavily, they rest their foreheads together.

 

"I never wanted to leave you. And I won't leave your side again".

 

"I'll make you so happy, you'll forget all the pain. I'm yours".

 

Their kiss seals the promise they made, the night the only witness to their love.

 

--- 

 

Two Weeks Later

 

This warm afternoon, Su Ryeon has taken the twins, Hye In and Rona out to eat. Dan Tae has met his demise from her hand, pushing him out of the window of her penthouse in self defense. She had released every evidence she had and with Logan's help, the police had come to arrest him. They found him dead and arrested Seo Jin, just like Su Ryeon had planned. Logan took care of her, him using his family's connections to ensure she'd never see the light of day.

 

After punishing the evils, it came peace. Su Ryeon looked around her, all her kids chatting lightly and ready to eat.

 

"I have to introduce you to someone. For real this time".

 

She nods and Logan enters, carrying food and flowers. He greets the kids and presses a kiss on Su Ryeon's cheek. 

 

"Is he your boyfriend now?"

 

"He's my future".

 

They eat and the kids playfully tease Logan. Su Ryeon has never experienced such happiness and peace. She takes Logan's hand with hers, the one where his engagement ring shines and rests her head on his shoulder. He hugs her close as they look at their big, happy family.

 

---- 

The End

___